Massive decision this summer

32 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

You're taking into account games when Clarke wasn't manager.

Exclude these games and Killie are lying in 3rd place, 4 points behind Celtic and 1 point behind us. Hardly mediocre, given the spending by both sides of the old firm.

It's outstanding given the circumstances.

And you're taking into account the games that Murty wasn't in charge....We have to base things on FACT, and the fact is that Kilmarnock are nothing more than a mid-table side.  Yes, Clarke is doing a good job for them just now but everyone went on about how great a job McInnes was doing at Aberdeen, until we pumped them twice (under Murty's guidance). 

Clarke has zero experience of managing at a high level.  I would argue that Murty has more experience now than Clarke has.  If we were to swap Murty for Clarke, what advantage would we really see???

Ultimately, time will tell how good a manager Clarke really is - that maybe sooner rather than later, we don't know.

5 minutes ago, Darthter said:

We have to base things on FACT, and the fact is that Kilmarnock are nothing more than a mid-table side.  

They'd be top of the league if we only took Clarke's period in charge into account.  

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

They'd be top of the league if we only took Clarke's period in charge into account.  

How many games has he been in charge for???  Is it enough time to base the foreseeable future/success of Rangers on???

Just what exactly are we looking for ?  Guardiola ?

Gaffer, can you explain how you believe that Murty is "lower risk" than Clarke ?  Clarke has more pedigree than Murty having been assistant manager at some big clubs and one where Mourinho (IIRC) eulogized over what he brought to Chelsea.

Say that Killie are a mid-table club all we like - but the fact remains he has taken 4 of 6 points from Celtic and 7 from 9 against us since he came into Killie - he has had a fraction of the budget of both clubs and yet has done an excellent job against both - indeed, Killie have become much more consistent with him at the helm - even their own fans felt that they were relegation candidates prior to his appointment.

I think that Steve Clarke is an excellent coach and is more than handling himself at Killie.  Given we don't have the funds to spend on a renowned manager I would contend that he would be an excellent choice.  Indeed, I would be far happier employing Steve Clarke than I would have been with McInnes (doesn't say a great deal but hopefully you get my point...).

We have no idea how he would handle the transfer market with increased funds - he could do great but equally could be a bust.  However, he clearly knows how to get the sum of the parts to perform in excess of the individual components, something we need in order to catch Celtic given the financial disparity.

Even going for a renowned coach, there is risk.  With reduced transfer fees can they get the collective to operate in excess of the individuals ?  Clarke is demonstrating he can do that already.

The only issue, for me at least, goes back to what Rousseau says and that is the "style" - Killie will rarely have an opponent who isn't willing to go "toe to toe" with them which keeps the game open and allows both sides to create opportunities.  At Rangers any manager will face a parking the bus mentality outwith OF games - it is this difference in styles that is the big unknown IMHO.  However, there are very few managers out there who have encountered this tactic and who would also be available - further, they likely would cost a fortune.

13 minutes ago, Darthter said:

And you're taking into account the games that Murty wasn't in charge....We have to base things on FACT, and the fact is that Kilmarnock are nothing more than a mid-table side. 

I wasn't comparing him to Murty in the post. I was comparing Killie to the other SPL teams under Clarke's stewardship, and he didn't have the benefit of the a squad assembled for 10's of millions like Celtic or the financial ability to bring in players of the standard of Murphy, Cummings,, Martin, Goss and Docherty.

If you do want to compare Killie and Rangers since Murty took over then Rangers are 2 points in front but Killie have 2 games in hand.

If Killie are nothing more than a mid-table team, what does that make Rangers at the moment if they are only being able to match (or not even that) a mid-table team?

Killie were 2nd bottom of the league when Clarke took over and he's transformed them.

13 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Clarke has zero experience of managing at a high level.  I would argue that Murty has more experience now than Clarke has. 

A season and a half managing in the English Premiership is at a lower level than 30 games in the SPL? o.O

Saying all that, I get that people have their doubts about Clarke. I do think that he's a far better prospect than Murty, but there may be better realistic candidates out there. Identifying them is the hard part.

8 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I wasn't comparing him to Murty in the post. I was comparing Killie to the other SPL teams under Clarke's stewardship, and he didn't have the benefit of the a squad assembled for 10's of millions like Celtic or the financial ability to bring in players of the standard of Murphy, Cummings,, Martin, Goss and Docherty.

If you do want to compare Killie and Rangers since Murty took over then Rangers are 2 points in front but Killie have 2 games in hand.

If Killie are nothing more than a mid-table team, what does that make Rangers at the moment if they are only being able to match (or not even that) a mid-table team?

Killie were 2nd bottom of the league when Clarke took over and he's transformed them.

A season and a half managing in the English Premiership is at a lower level than 30 games in the SPL? o.O

It makes Rangers 2nd best, and Killie 5th - that's what the current table shows...

2 minutes ago, Darthter said:

It makes Rangers 2nd best, and Killie 5th - that's what the current table shows...

For which, Caixhina and McCulloch are also partly responsible.  

Going on the whole season is a wee bit pointless when discussing Clarke's credentials.