Massive decision this summer

8 minutes ago, Darthter said:

It makes Rangers 2nd best, and Killie 5th - that's what the current table shows...

Which is an apples and oranges comparison if we are to assess Murty v Clarke credentials.

Murty is lower risk because he knows the players, he knows the club, he's started to build a team that was capable of beating Celtic (and should have if the team had just performed even close to the level they should have), and has a good relationship with the DoF.

Given that we are within touching distance of Celtic, why on earth do we want to start changing the manager?  If there was an outstanding candidate then by all means, but I don't see who that is.  Everyone else that's been mentioned is good, but I'm not convinced they're any better a risk than sticking with Murty.

3 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Murty is lower risk because he knows the players, he knows the club, he's started to build a team that was capable of beating Celtic (and should have if the team had just performed even close to the level they should have), and has a good relationship with the DoF.

You have answered your own question.  We should've beat them but didn't.  And our next match was even more gutless.

4 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

You have answered your own question.  We should've beat them but didn't.  And our next match was even more gutless.

The reason we didn't beat them was at least 99% the fault of the team, not the manager.  Had they kept doing what they had been doing we would have.  And I'm sure had Murty been on the pitch, even he would have scored two of our chances.

I do however agree that the reaction, or lack of, (i.e. In the Killie game) is a bigger issue and something Murty has to take much of the responsibility for.

1 minute ago, Gaffer said:

The reason we didn't beat them was at least 99% the fault of the team, not the manager.  

His (lack of) reaction to the sending off  and their substitution was quite alarming. 

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

His (lack of) reaction to the sending off  and their substitution was quite alarming. 

I agree he could and probably should have made changes, and I've said before what I thought he should have done.  However, even with the players on the pitch we should have won that game.  It was the players that failed to perform, and I'm not letting them off the hook for that game.

Some of our players are not good enough and yet we still came within touching distance of a league challenge.  Did anyone think that was possible in December?  Not a chance!  He deserves the chance to bring in the two or three quality players we all agree we need.

There's a risk in sticking with Murty.  There's a risk in bringing someone new in.  I'm just opining that on balance, we are better off with Murty.

It has to be Clark the WBA fans love him and would have him back that a know they think he was given a raw deal by the board

Guy knows the Scottish game has his team punching above there weight against us and the mancs

Plus as a assistant won things in Europe with Liverpool and Chelsea

Folk saying he wont come is anti RANGERS but ive also read he is a Killie fan

So what are his ambition there winning a cup or getting them to Europe or more/

Only place h can win the league is with us

Strachan was Hibs fan Stein was a Rangers fan they done alright for the mancs

Even if he favours them over us what matters as long as he is professional and everything Pedro wasnt who also favoured them over us

Who else is out there maybe Gio Van Brockhorst if Feyenoord give him the boot currently five place

Guy might find us players out Ajax PSV Feyenoord youth systems who might turn out stars

last guy promised that was Warburton getting young guys from top clubs in London

So think that one would be a bigger gamble than Clarke

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

Given that we are within touching distance of Celtic, why on earth do we want to start changing the manager?  If there was an outstanding candidate then by all means, but I don't see who that is.  Everyone else that's been mentioned is good, but I'm not convinced they're any better a risk than sticking with Murty.

Sorry but that part I have highlighted in bold is quite simply "if my Aunty had baws" stuff.  How about if Celtic had performed even close to their level ?  You are trying to look at our performance in a vacuum and extrapolating that Celtic played as well as they can.  The team may have been CAPABLE of beating Celtic, but they didn't.  And that was a loss....given we were drawing whilst Celtic had a player fewer and under Murty's direction suggests Murty was out-thought.  Could it have happened to Clarke too ?  I guess so, we will never know.

Knowing the players and knowing the club doesn't lower the risk by any noticeable amount IMO.  Given we are clearly mentally fragile it could be argued the other way.

I was someone more than prepared to give Murty a chance - the team had been performing better.  But he was clearly out-thought by Rodgers at Ibrox and then Clarke's team also outclassed him tactically.  They don't instill a great confidence that Murty is the right guy to take us forward.

There is a risk in ANY appointment.  But I am just opining that, on balance, Clarke would be a better option than Murty, and has a better pedigree too - which is not to say that Murty wont go on to be a very good manager.

2 minutes ago, Dryhorse said:

Folk saying he wont come is anti RANGERS but ive also read he is a Killie fan

So what are his ambition there winning a cup or getting them to Europe or more/

There's also the point that he may have a grudge against Brendan as it was Brendan that got him sacked from Liverpool.

3 hours ago, Darthter said:

but, Kilmarnock are still sitting 5th in the league, which would indicate that even though they have taken points from us & them, they are still a mediocre team.

Is a mid-table, Scot Premiership manager the answer to our problems???  What happens if Clarke is brought in, then gets gubbed in his 1st game against them???  or has a poor start to the season???  That is always going to be a gamble, no matter who it is, but by aiming higher that risk is reduced.

I'm not advocating Clarke for the Rangers job.

We certainly need to aim higher than our U20's coach for first team manager.