Massive decision this summer

12 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's not as easy as that. Do you really think he'd have us winning titles? I can't see it. It's a whole different ball game from getting a small side punching above their weight.

Dyche is doing well at Burnley, should Man Utd or Chelsea appoint him to improve them? They've both taken about 9 points out of 21 in the League, think of what Dyche could do with Chelsea's budget.

I don't think it's as easy as that: It's a different style of football altogether. 

Steve Clarke is better than what we have and about as good a candidate as what we could get. The Man Utd, Chelsea reference makes no sense.

8 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Steve Clarke is better than what we have and about as good a candidate as what we could get. The Man Utd, Chelsea reference makes no sense.

Ok...

Clarke may well be, but I'm not convinced it's an easy transfer; can he really go from making a small team punch above their weight, to taking on title challengers? It's the same as thinking Dyche is doing well at Burnley so give him the Man Utd or Chelsea job; we both know it doesn't work like that. 

51 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's not as easy as that. Do you really think he'd have us winning titles? I can't see it. It's a whole different ball game from getting a small side punching above their weight.

Dyche is doing well at Burnley, should Man Utd or Chelsea appoint him to improve them? They've both taken about 9 points out of 21 in the League, think of what Dyche could do with Chelsea's budget.

I don't think it's as easy as that: It's a different style of football altogether. 

I don't think it has to be a different style totally. Good tactics and a good formation works for any team.

If I've done my calculations correctly, since Murty has been appointed he's got 40 points from 21 games and Clarke has 38 points from 19 games in the same period, and that's without Clarke having the benefit of a great winter transfer window.

11 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I don't think it has to be a different style totally. Good tactics and a good formation works for any team.

If I've done my calculations correctly, since Murty has been appointed he's got 40 points from 21 games and Clarke has 38 points from 19 games in the same period, and that's without Clarke having the benefit of a great winter transfer window.

Style was the wrong word. I just don't think it's as easy as it seems. Like I've said several times this morning already, getting a small side punching above their weight does not mean he can get a side challenging for the title. It's easy enough to get a side well-drilled and compact and then counter, but can he break down a well-drilled, compact side? Has he ever done that? His record suggests not. How often do we sit-in and break? We don't because we'd never win games.

12 hours ago, der Berliner said:

On hindsight, people will probably cast a lenient eye on Sir Walter's pedigree pre Rangers. At the time and leading up to the appointment of him as assistant though ... you wonder what Rangers supporters were saying about his appointment, pedigree and qualifications as a Rangers full time manager.

Smith was assistant manager at a Dundee United team that won the league and made it to the semi finals of the European cup.

If I remember correctly Roma later admitted to bribing the referee to knock them out.

This is a completely different league from being a youth coach.  Whenever I see youth matches it looks like a bounce game.

No leniency required.

11 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Before and while he joined the Scotland setup. Methinks he stopped that when he became Scotland's u18 coach.

He was assistant manager at Dundee United during the 80s.

He became Scotland U18 coach in 1978.

So I think what you are saying is incorrect.  Unless, of course, you have a source.  I'm only going by wikipedia for the Scotland stuff.

7 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Smith was assistant manager at a Dundee United team that won the league and made it to the semi finals of the European cup.

If I remember correctly Roma later admitted to bribing the referee to knock them out.

This is a completely different league from being a youth coach.  Whenever I see youth matches it looks like a bounce game.

No leniency required.

So essentially you evaluate Sir Walter's and Murty's solely on their achievements as coaches? That's one way of seeing it.

Murty's record in charge is on a par with Smith, Advocaat, etc.  The key difference with them is that although they may have a similar win record, they had more draws and fewer losses.  It goes back to something Souness said when he arrived.  He said his first job was to solidify the defence because "you don't lose games if you don't lose goals".  I'd love to see how Murty gets on with two strong centre backs.  I've looked at the goals we've lost this season and all but two of the goals were not just easily preventable, but could and should have been stopped by both centrebacks.  In other words, both had the opportunity to stop them either through positioning, marking or tackling.

I'm interested to see where McCrorie fits in to this team.  If he's playing midfield, that means we only have Bates as a reliable central defender.  Alves could be if he was interested, but he looks to have moved on mentally so I'll be astonished if he's not already got his next move sealed already.  Martin doesn't look as I feel he's right for us.  That means we need three central defenders in the summer to ensure we have backup.  We are going to need a whole lot of expertise and luck in the window to secure a partnership that's able to get the flying start we will need.  It means the early stages of European competition will be tricky too.

44 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's easy enough to get a side well-drilled and compact and then counter, but can he break down a well-drilled, compact side? Has he ever done that? His record suggests not. How often do we sit-in and break? We don't because we'd never win games.

Will his team not have done that on occasions this season?

I take your point and of course there's a risk but there's always going to be issues with any manager that is proposed.