Massive decision this summer

GM may not be ready, I'll concede that. However, what group of players chucks it in the second half against Celtic and after 15 mins. today. The almost same team was winning against all sorts just three weeks ago.
We've watched this through five or six coaches now, when are the players going to take responsibilty? Do they really need to be led by the hand through each stage of a game?

2 hours ago, rbr said:

The board are faced with their biggest and most important decision in approx. 8 games time , one IMHO they simply cannot get wrong , and that's appointing a new and experienced manager .

Firstly , I like GM , I think hes a thoroughly decent guy and a great youths coach  , I've seen at first hand at Auchenowie how he is with the  youths , however he is not ready for this job , I said when he was appointed that he had been thrown under the bus by the board and I still believe it , today was symptomatic of the types of results we have had this year, where we simply are not set up to break teams down that sit in. Though the rebuilding that was started under GM and MA has born some fruit , the midfelders especially are too young and inexperienced to shoulder the responsibility of playing week in week out , against celtic we had 3 ,21 year olds, one of which was playing only his 12th or 13th senior game .

There have been rumours of meetings with Roberto Matinez's No2 , whether that's fantasy or not who knows , but we need an experienced manager to take us on to the next phase of our journey .

I only hope the board and MA are up to the task . 

One last thought or rather point , this seasons debacle at home is our worst set of results at Ibrox since 1914 .

I have a degree of sympathy for Murty as this situation was thrust upon him, however he's never looked comfortable in the Manager's seat and sadly he isn't up to the job of managing the first team and whether he could return to the U20's after such a long spell on first team duties remains to be seen.

Clarke seen the substitution Murty was about to make and counteracted that with a double substitution that effectively killed the game. Clarke has proven you don't need to be a world beater to succeed in the SPFL merely competent and experienced. I'm not advocating Clarke for manager but he's done an excellent job with little resources and deserves the plaudits he's receiving. 

I'd feel happier if there had been meetings with Roberto Martinez rather than his assistant.

Without doubt the next managerial will be the most important in our history we simply cannot afford another f*&k up and I doubt our business plan can either.

Actually look forward more to away games at present than home as the players simply look scared and nervous when playing at Ibrox which they really should be making a fortress.

It is a big decision.

The role was thrust upon Murty, but we all knew he wasn't ready. I'm not going to criticise a man who didn't want the job and is not ready for it; he had only just started as a youth coach. 

He's still done well: he's got us to a stage where we can compete with most sides -- outwith the situation rbr outlined above, the ability to break extremely compact sides down; it's not easy. 

The semi will be different because Celtic will not be sitting-deep; that's not Rodgers' style. This result only dents our chances of gaining second -- which is still the target.   

I don't -- and never did -- want him as permanent manager, but I'll thank him for the work done. 

I want a talented coach over experience, to be honest. 

But, of course, they have to have some sort of track record of improving teams. 

I want a German (They've promoted young managers with talent, Klopp, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Tadesco (Schalke) etc. all without any real experience; I think that's the way to go). Tuchel's still available, but he's out of our reach. And Nagelsmann (Hoffenheim) is available in the summer, but again, he's out of our reach.

It's a really difficult decision.

I don't really know what level we're browsing in. Is it Tuchel, or McInnes? Or is it somewhere in between?

At which point in time has the seat of the Rangers manager not been a massive one?

It has become somewhat vogue to point at Murty's pedigree ... and more than was/is necessary. He's not much younger (a year or the like) than Sir Walter was when he stepped out of Souness' shadow ... and has had to work in a significantly more challenging environment.

I see people talking up Clarke or the likes of Wright ... only to - probably-  miss the point that most of them have teams with little more ambition than to thwart the "bigger" teams playing football and stealing points by excelling at "brick-wall-soak-it-up-and-hit-them-on-the-counter" football. And if you have some decent footballers and drill them well, it is probably the easiest game possible. Up until they have to come from behind and chase the game themselves. Hence, these teams usually get no-where at a higher stage.

It usually is pretty pointless to analyze each game on its own and thus whip up evaluations of each and everyone on a weekly basis. So I usually take in the last few games and give my opinion of how this or that game should be approached. Not so long ago people hared after Warburton because of his "Plan A and make it better statements". What we have seen with Murty now is that he plays exactly one system with more or less enforced changes, rather than switching tactics and personell according to the game at hand. Not very dissimilar to MW. As long as it works, people will say: never change a running system.

People will remember that - for all his goals - I have been questioning Windass cast-into-stone starting slot. He sure offers a certain danger if given space and time ... but honestly, in any other team, he would probably be the joker player to hit teams on the counter, rather than occupying the main attacking creative slot. We do not have that many creative alternatives in the middle there (maybe Miller or Murphy, as long as Dorrans is out injured), so if he doesn't perform, why not send out a 4-4-2 with Cummings and Morelos, for a change? Neither of these two is really comfortable as lone strikers. But we have them out there against packed defences or the like each and every week. How easy to prepare against is that? Double him and the wingers up, pack the midfield lump balls up the park  to your pacy attackers looking for scraps. It is exactly what Alan McLaren told us the whole afternoon on RTV and it is exactly what Killie, St. Johnstone et al are doing.

Solutions? Easier said than done. We simply lack the quality in that creative role. Kranjcar should be one you could trust with any ball, but he's been out on a different planet for a year or so. I hope we get McCrorie back soon, as he's a tough ball-winner in midfield and also knows to spray a pass. What I would do instantly is chuck Windass to the bench, have Cummings and Morelos up front and possibly go 3-5-2 every now and then. Win the midfield. Another alternative could be Murphy as shadow striker, once Wallace is fit. John has become a real threat on the left while Murphy can and has played across the front line. He would sure offer some constant creative threat in the role behind the striker too.

... and I do reckon that Allen is working his socks off as we speak.

Edited by der Berliner

Murty suffers from the handicap of having no on-field driver. No Shearer, Greig, Brown or Ian Ferguson. Doesn’t have to be the captain. More like a foreman who gets other guys to roll up their sleeves and fight ‘til the day is done.

I thank Murty for standing in when Warburton then Pedro departed, it was a poisoned chalice he was handed. But to his credit he's handled it pretty well. but his limitations are shown up, against far more experienced managers. Yesterday he couldn't seem to work out how to handle Killie's high pressure against us, sixty minutes his alarm went off reminding him his subs were due an outing. Not the fact that we needed to change the system to get behind their defence, something that missing for most of the game.

He's doing his apprenticeship at Rangers really well , but it's a full time-served tradesman the club needs.