Massive decision this summer

Without money we’re not going to get a good top experienced manager who we can be confident in. They will want to bring their own backroom staff in and will still need funds for better players. They will also need to understand the Scottish game. I can’t see an obvious choice. 

Our stated model is to bring in, develop and sell players and back them up with a core of experienced professionals hopefully with talent who understand the challenge of playing for Rangers.  I think we have been badly hit through injuries to key players and if the likes of Jack, McRorie, Wallace and Dorrans get back we should be more consistent and results might have been better had they been around and the view on Murty might be more positive.  

You then then improve and add a few fresh faces from a blend of experienced pros and developing youngsters. This was always going to be a process over a few years at least and we unfortunately lost 3 years of our recovery through a second year in the championship, McCoist, Warburton and Pedro not always doing the right thing. 

If we believe Murty can do the above (and why couldn’t he?) we need to keep him. If it takes another year it’s tough but our progress has generally been greater under him than the others. We are complaining about tactical errors against Celtic which cost us the game last week. He has been tactically astute twice at porkheid. We could have won that game last week or at least drawn it. A year or so ago we were watching OF games through our fingers with a sense of dread. In fact that was the case earlier this season.  Celtic are favourites for the semi but it’s not a firegone conclusion. 

I don’t think you need to be a tactical genius in the SPFL and he can learn from mistakes he has made. What we need by and large is better players and the point about leadership on the park is a good one.  

In any case case we need to see where we finish in the league and we need to get behind Murty for this cup match. If he wins that all this negativity will diminish and if we also finish ahead of Aberdeen it would be a brave decision to remove him.  

Tactically Murty has got it right on a few occasions, but there's as many he's got wrong. How many home games have we watched when the other manager makes a tactical switch and seemingly outfoxes us? 

There are other better obtainable managers out there and we should be lining them up already. 

On 18 March 2018 at 16:50, Bluedell said:

Tactically Murty has got it right on a few occasions, but there's as many he's got wrong. How many home games have we watched when the other manager makes a tactical switch and seemingly outfoxes us? 

There are other better obtainable managers out there and we should be lining them up already. 

Who ?

As someone said before, the young German managers seem to be doing quite well for themselves and have little problem adapting to British football. 

No British managers immediately spring to mind.  I thought Tommy Wright was a good shout when Caixhina left but I'm not so sure now.  I'm glad we didn't get McInnes.  

We need someone who knows how to win things, how to handle pressure and who commands respect.  Difficult...

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

Who ?

I could name a few names and derail the thread and there would be a lot of disagreements with the names I would come up with. 

I can think of three who have since got jobs since Murty was appointed that we may have been able to tempt. I can also think of a couple lower league English managers. There is also one in Scotland, who has done well against us this season.

However given I wanted PLG and Warburton before they came, what do I know?

4 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I could name a few names and derail the thread and there would be a lot of disagreements with the names I would come up with. 

I can think of three who have since got jobs since Murty was appointed that we may have been able to tempt. I can also think of a couple lower league English managers. There is also one in Scotland, who has done well against us this season.

However given I wanted PLG and Warburton before they came, what do I know?

You wouldn't be derailing the thread, so...

giphy.gif

You will never get continuity if we keep changing manager and it will be a drain on money as any new manager would want to bring in his own players then they will need time to bed in , then after two defeats the fans will be wanting another man at the helm meanwhile the papes will be heading for their own version of the 12th and I will be six feet under .