Massive decision this summer

1 hour ago, compo said:

You can't tell any player how to pass a ball they either have it or not 

I was too brief; I meant how in terms of the type of pass and where they are passing and who to etc.

32 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Was it not just because we had fannyed around for so long after making initial contact and made it appear that we weren't actually that keen on him?

I don't believe that's the case.

Rangers thought they had the deal done after a meeting at Mar Hall but McInnes, for whatever reason, changed his mind very late in the day.  Walterbear might be closer to the mark but I can't confirm that.

I would be ecstatic with Martinez -- or someone akin to him -- but he'll not be everyone's cup of tea:

Roberto Martínez and Brendan Rodgers: the flawed disciples of Pep Guardiola

https://www.theguardian.com/football/these-football-times/2016/mar/07/roberto-martinez-brendan-rodgers-pep-guardiola-everton-liverpool

It's too long to post, but it's an interesting read. 

I just noticed mcinness celebrated 5 years in the job at Aberdeen and his sum total of trophies is one league cup I suppose the Aberdeen board must be happy or the fans would want him out ,its a funny old game .

What wage would a chap like Martinez demand though? And what sort of transfer kitty would he want to build "his" squad?

What the board sees right now is someone who is half a handful of quality players away from getting trophies in Scotland again. He's got an old warhorse in the shape of Nicholl at his side, and an international coach like Johansson too. I for one can't see any incoming "Martinez" delivering a quantum leap in performances unless there is serious investment, i.e. 10m or more. And in this day and age, how much quality will be about for that kind of money? Lots of loanees and freebees who demand serious money to come to Scotland ...

From Rousseau's Guardian article:

"When it comes down to it, most managers can be divided into two broad categories: pragmatists and idealists. Pragmatism adapts to meet the needs of the team. Rather than pursuing any long-term holistic vision, the raison d’etre is to win football matches in the short-term and everything else, such as style of play and how pleasing it is on the eye, is secondary."

After having Warburton and Pedro, who I'd argue are idealists, do we as a club need the stability a pragmatist would bring, rather than an idealist like Martinez?

2 hours ago, Walterbear said:

What I’ve heard from a very good media source is he was ready to sign but King told him at the last minute he was going to reconsider the compensation deal with the sheep. McInnes has a good relationship with Milne and didn’t want to be part of it. 

That's the sort of thing that would sour any deal.