Some people will argue "but he has been great for Killie" - yes maybe but the standard of the SPL is shockingly poor and if we want to be back on top of the SPL and have a run in europe these type of players are not good enough.

You have lost me here, surely to get back on top of the SPL we have to beat SPL teams, no?

I take your point on Europe, he might not be good enough at this stage in his career but he has got potential and the only way a player with potential is going to reach that level is by getting a chance to play at that level.

Beat this comment to me Cammy.

I honestly cant believe some fans would think Naismith and Boyd upfront would be acceptable, never mind dangerous!!!

The thought of more run of the mill SPL players joining gets me frustrated. Buggar it, we should have got Scott McDonald aswell and give Gavin Rae a new contract eh!!!

Cant people see this has been part of our downfall in recent seasons!! We sign average players capable of doing a good job at a mid table sides then thats the way we will go - hence this season and last season.

Some people will argue "but he has been great for Killie" - yes maybe but the standard of the SPL is shockingly poor and if we want to be back on top of the SPL and have a run in europe these type of players are not good enough.

I don't know why on the one hand you can praise Sebo, Lovenkrands, Buffel and Sionko and then on the other hand disparage the likes of a 20 year old Naismith who has scored 13 goals in the league in a far less talented team...

No-one knows how good he'll be but he definitely looks like he has potential. He is one for the future and we still need to bring in an experienced target man.

But I'd definitely try him in my team before Sebo, Sionko, Lovenkrands and Buffel, who have so far been proven to be unreliable.

Also if signing Scots is to blame for our malaise, how come our best run for years has coincided with our highest average of Scots players in the team?

You seem to think we are better signing the likes of:

Letizi, Christiansen,

Bardsley, Fanfan, Svensson, Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Bonnissel, Papac, Kalenga,

Capucho, Sionko, Namouchi, Mladenovic, N'Diaye, Martin, Diordic, Nieto,

Stanger, Eggen, Sebo, Maniero, Ostenstad and Jeffers

- just because they are not Scottish or from the SPL? I disagree, I think THESE guys are the problem.

I think some people are a bit blinkered when it comes to Scottish and SPL players.

I think the team of:

MacGregor

Hutton Weir Webster Smith

Brown Ferguson Hemdani Thomson

Boyd Koevermanns

Would be our strongest team for a long time with 9 Scots and 2 foreigners.

I am sorry, but the days of Rangers paying £1M for a squad player are over. If we sign him, it'll be to partner Boyd up front.

If he and Boyd are so good, tell me this, why didn't they shoot Killie to the title? I make no apologies for saying that Rangers FC SHOULDN'T be relying on run of the mill SPL players to win them titles.

In fact, sign 11 SPL players and we'll (if we haven't already done so) become an average, run of the mill, SPL team.

My standards and what I expect from Rangers is so much better than average, run of the mill SPL team/players.

Cammy F

Thomson ISN'T a left sided player - I have taken an interest in KT for sometime as I have some very good friends who support Hibs and they have been banging on about him and Brown for sometime.

What they have told me and what I have witnessed whilst watching Thomson is a player who is in the same mold and plays the same type of game as Nigal Spackman. He is the midfield 'protector' and the ball winner, but is no sloutch on the ball.

It is obvious that Hendami, Ferguson and Thomson can't play together in a 4 man midfield (they poss could in a 3-5-2 formation) so, and I hate saying this, I would imagine that Hendami will be the player to 'lose' out.

I read on another forum that our limits of ambition hold on bounds - we are after Jamie Langfield from Abergreen - I truly and utterly dispare for next season - we'll more than likely be fighting for a UEFA Cup spot rather than the title....

Cammy F

Jamie Langfield:uzi: :mad:

I read a bit from Hateley today saying somewhere that WS will look to bring in '5 or 6 players' This may well be the case, but 5 or 6 bosmans are not going to improve us enough to the standard of a Championship winning team.

If he and Boyd are so good, tell me this, why didn't they shoot Killie to the title? I make no apologies for saying that Rangers FC SHOULDN'T be relying on run of the mill SPL players to win them titles.

Because a team is made up of 11 players, not just 2 ??

Just because a player plays in a "run of the mill" SPL side doesn't mean that they aren't good enough to cut it with the OF.

Or do we have delusions of grandeur ?

Maybe we should just risk paying 1.8 mill for a Sebo than go for a guy who has scored 13 times this year in the same league and with a less fashionable club ?

Naismith is 20 yrs old so has lots of time on his side - he has scored a decent number of goals this season and lets not also forget that a certain Arsene Wenger had him on trial at Arsenal where he was apparently impressive.

To me it looks like young Naismith is more than a "run of the mill" SPL player - but then what would I know ?

First priority should be the SPL. I understand that people want to make progress in Europe, but we really need to sort out our domestic form first. It looks like WS is well on the way to doing that, but I think we're going to need to be patient about Europe for another season.

I know that we can get the results in Europe, but really, for the last two seasons we've done well in Europe despite being pretty awful domestically and not that great in the Euro matches either.

Also, we've had people moaning their tits off about overpaid, past-it, foreign imports for years. Give the lads a chance! Buy Scottish! Etc. Now we seem to be doing that and the Scottish players tend to be the first ones a lot of Bears lay in to, when they badly need our support.

Its also hard to judge how players from other SPL clubs will adjust to playing for one of the OF, but again, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see how they play for us.

Look at how bad we've been for the last 3 or 4 years, despite Helicopter Sunday, we've been pretty rank rotten. So can things get any worse on the pitch? I really hope not, but I still think that with the mess our squad is in, WS is going to need another 3 or 4 transfer windows to get the squad he wants. And even then, that's only if DM stumps up the cash.

I intended to reply big time to this thread, but cant today, however keep posting folks as its turning out to be a good argument. (Altho Cammy and me seem to be the only ones on the same planet - Calscot im not sure what you've been smoking lately mate i think we lost you in cyber space :) )