Club 1872 meeting with Dave King

I believe the boards of most football clubs have a love-hate relationship with their supporters. They rely on the support for income and will always make the right noises when commenting on the importance of the fans to the future of their club. At the same time, chairmen and directors tend to be very vary of their fans and view them with suspicion. It's in the DNA of most club directors to want to keep fans at a respectable arms length and certainly out of the boardroom. I think it's no different at Rangers.

46 minutes ago, Bill said:

I believe the boards of most football clubs have a love-hate relationship with their supporters. They rely on the support for income and will always make the right noises when commenting on the importance of the fans to the future of their club. At the same time, chairmen and directors tend to be very vary of their fans and view them with suspicion. It's in the DNA of most club directors to want to keep fans at a respectable arms length and certainly out of the boardroom. I think it's no different at Rangers.

Our club more so than others, for some reason.

2 hours ago, aweebluesoandso said:

Yes not just between the board and the fans, but between the fans also. very disheartening all round.

It's how democracy works buddy. When it comes to elections or selections between board members experience has taught me to expect the worst. However it doesn't mean we cancel trying to get what we want.

14 hours ago, aweebluesoandso said:

Yes not just between the board and the fans, but between the fans also. very disheartening all round.

There are lots of things we disagree on, but that's normal.  It's never so bad if we all agree we want the same thing, but just disagree on how best to achieve it.  I think that applies to every Rangers fan.  We all want our team to e successful again, but we do disagree on the how.  We disagree on managers, players, formations, tactics, board members, stadium improvements priorities, but there are some things I think we do agree on.  I think we agree that the situation with the media needs to be addressed, and I think we agree that youth development is the future of our club.  I think we also agree that it's important we protect our club from those that have ulterior motives to owning it, other than building a successful team again.

Thats why for me, the fan group(s) have to stick to the objectives and priorities we can agree on, otherwise it won't work.

2 hours ago, Gaffer said:

There are lots of things we disagree on, but that's normal.  It's never so bad if we all agree we want the same thing, but just disagree on how best to achieve it.  I think that applies to every Rangers fan.  We all want our team to e successful again, but we do disagree on the how.  We disagree on managers, players, formations, tactics, board members, stadium improvements priorities, but there are some things I think we do agree on.  I think we agree that the situation with the media needs to be addressed, and I think we agree that youth development is the future of our club.  I think we also agree that it's important we protect our club from those that have ulterior motives to owning it, other than building a successful team again.

Thats why for me, the fan group(s) have to stick to the objectives and priorities we can agree on, otherwise it won't work.

Some very salient points there Gaffer, the refusal of the board to engage in any form of PR and fight back to the club detractors, is one of the most valid points you make. That and protecting the club from unknown future rogues should they try to gain a foothold in the club. I have said many times on here that can be backed up, that the support will have to going forward help with the clubs finances, We are not looking for any financial return, no special allowances in ticket subsides, no ties, no blazers, no access to players Lounge or even entry to bar 72. Only our voice of the support being heard by our representative being present at board level. That's not too much to ask for a two million pound investment by the support to date, with much more being promised and given going forward.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

Imagine you’re on the board of RFC. Would you invite a supporter to join you? I wouldn’t. Why would you want to complicate the board function and risk conflict or loss of confidentiality?

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

Imagine you’re on the board of RFC. Would you invite a supporter to join you? I wouldn’t. Why would you want to complicate the board function and risk conflict or loss of confidentiality?

Why not, they have a bunch of fecking seriously dodgy feckers on the board a few years ago, no one batted an eye then.