New manager rumours

Looks like it is time to get behind Stevie G. The Sun are running with it now. Untested maybe, but so was Zinedine Zidane & he’s on course to win 3 Champions Leagues in a row. World class players don’t need to work their way up through the leagues. Huge gamble, but will at least sicken the tims. I just hope he doesn’t fall on his arse with 4 games to go..

If true it is hard to get excited over this! like any manager it is a gamble, I will always get behind whoever is appointed but his lack of experience makes this an even bigger gamble, could end up being a good appointment but also a disaster!

Best we might initially say is that though he has no managerial experience he has ample experience of being managed by successful top coaches and playing at the highest level. 

1 minute ago, rbr said:

There must be finances in place to bank roll this , there is no way Stevie G is putting his reputation on the line for  an unfunded project 

How can that be possible?  They're skint didn't you know? Going into admin next month.  No wait a minute that was last Xmas. But hey if enough numpties keep saying it often enough it has to happen. Right? 

25 minutes ago, rbr said:

There must be finances in place to bank roll this , there is no way Stevie G is putting his reputation on the line for  an unfunded project 

Agree with this, although Scottish football is ranked very poor the Rangers job is still high profile which would look bad on Gerrard if he failed, unless backed sufficiently to make a real go of it!.

As I said yesterday, I must admit it will surprise me if the Gerrard rumours are true but they certainly seem to have picked up momentum. Employing someone without any genuine experience is a huge risk and one I'm struggling to get behind. No doubt Gerrard would attract a lot of interest though.

The appointment does fit in that we need a new manager/coach happy to work under a DoF and that may rule out more people than we think. The board seem intent on sticking with the DoF structure so we can only trust their (and Allen's) judgement. Time for another deep breath....

Well, the Super Soarway has the Gerrard story this am, under the byline of Mr Andy Devlin, apparently a fairly regular conduit of choice for the Board for dissemination of news and opinion. 

It would be an extraordinary appointment, somewhat akin to Souness, in 1986, but, if the deal is done, prepare for an absolute torrent of ordure, from the usual objective observers in the press corps. 

Edited by Uilleam