New manager rumours

You'd love to be a fly on the wall at one of our board meetings. 'Okay, what are we looking for in the person next to manage Scotland's largest and most successful club?', 'well Dave we need someone with no previous managerial experience, someone who has never played in the league we compete in, someone who has never coached in our league, someone with no connection either professionally or emotionally to our club, someone with links to organised crime and someone who'll command a significant salary from day one'. 

'Sounds good, right pass the criteria onto that director of football fellow I've the red eye to Cape Town to catch.'

51 minutes ago, Frankie said:

As I said yesterday, I must admit it will surprise me if the Gerrard rumours are true but they certainly seem to have picked up momentum. Employing someone without any genuine experience is a huge risk and one I'm struggling to get behind. No doubt Gerrard would attract a lot of interest though.

The appointment does fit in that we need a new manager/coach happy to work under a DoF and that may rule out more people than we think. The board seem intent on sticking with the DoF structure so we can only trust their (and Allen's) judgement. Time for another deep breath....

I think back to what Alastair Johnson said about the appointment of Pedro, eg "institutional failure", etc .....and wonder if there has been pressure to keep to the DoF structure wrt a new Head Coach/manager.

I think you have to factor in that the list of names out there may have been smaller than often listed because of managers not wanting the job at this moment in time, eg. I don't think Clarke (my pick) would have taken it, just as McInnes in December.

Given our history and the vageries of Scottish football , going 'foreign' would represent just as big a risk, even if they had some experience. IMO Frank de Boer wouldn't last a season.

The McLaren or Pardew type would have been another disaster waiting to happen. Yes, they have experience but it's mostly collecting large pay-offs. 'Hair Island' would have become a comedy figure up here.

So taking into consideration strategy, who is actually willing and 'star dust attraction' wrt selling project/attracting investors....... then Gerrard is a name that seems to fit the bill.

I'm just glad it isn't Barry Ferguson :ph34r:

Edited by buster.

5 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I'm struggling to get excited about this Gerard link.

Inexperience shouldn't rule anyone out, but they have to demonstrate that they have ideas, and principles that they can implement; I'm struggling to see what his ideas are, his philosophy. Admittedly, I've not seen/ read anything about his work with the Liverpool Academy. 

I'd be more comfortable if I knew a little about what he'd bring. At the minute, it just seems like we're basing it on his playing career; stellar though it is, it doesn't necessarily translate into a successful managerial career.

And then the experienced #2 crap annoys me too. I really don't care if they are 'experienced' in the game. The game has changed. What worked for Gary Mac, doesn't work nowadays... IMO, of course. 

Admittedly, getting the players 'up for the game' -- as vague as that is -- is probably enough in this league, embarrassingly, with the gulf in quality and finances. However, it'll not beat a Rodgers side. And, it'll not do anything in Europe

Turned into a bit of a rant... sorry :facepalm: 

If you are looking for someone who can "do anything in Europe" then you are limiting the search to..........no-one. It's the SPL we play in.  Europe's long gone unless the whole make-up of European football changes.    Getting through the qualifying rounds is now going to get as rare as reaching finals used to be and will probably get harder with each successive change to the rules.  The Europa league's champ's league place means that big clubs are starting to take it seriously a couple of rounds earlier than they used to do though there is always the chance - if we could ever get past the qualifiers - of meeting a few teams who play their reserves/try to lose to get out of the tournament in the opening rounds.

28 minutes ago, rfb1872 said:

The fact that we've not got a FdB suggests that they don't want the job (as Pete mentioned on this week's podcast) so I imagine we're left with a list of "established experienced names", none of whom are the required quality to win 55. Under these circumstances, I agree with taking a gamble.

I tend to agree with this part of your post. The fact that none of the high-profile, experienced names linked to the job by the press or the bookies have been appointed, suggests to me that they were either never in the running, or - as you say - they don't want the job.

1 minute ago, buster. said:

I think back to what Alastair Johnson said about the appointment of Pedro, eg "institutional failure", etc .....and wonder if there has been pressure to keep to the DoF structure wrt a new Head Coach/manager.

I think you have to factor in that the list of names out there may have been smaller than often listed because of managers not wanting the job at this moment in time, eg. I don't think Clarke (my pick) would have taken it, just as McInnes in December.

Given our history and the vageries of Scottish football , going 'foreign' would represent just as big a risk, even if they had some experience.

IMO Frank de Boer wouldn't last a season.

So taking into consideration strategy, who is actually willing and 'star dust attraction' wrt selling project/attracting investors....... then Gerrard is a name that seems to fit the bill.

I'm just glad it isn't Barry Ferguson :ph34r:

Gerrard is a 'marquee' name who may be within budget. Is such an appointment necessary? I think that we will find out over the next year. 

6 hours ago, 917 said:

Looks like it is time to get behind Stevie G. The Sun are running with it now. Untested maybe, but so was Zinedine Zidane & he’s on course to win 3 Champions Leagues in a row. World class players don’t need to work their way up through the leagues. Huge gamble, but will at least sicken the tims. I just hope he doesn’t fall on his arse with 4 games to go..

I think clubs like Real Madrid manage themselves to be honest. He's 15 points behind Barca in the league too. 

1 minute ago, SteveC said:

If you are looking for someone who can "do anything in Europe" then you are limiting the search to..........no-one. It's the SPL we play in.  Europe's long gone unless the whole make-up of European football changes.    Getting through the qualifying rounds is now going to get as rare as reaching finals used to be and will probably get harder with each successive change to the rules.  The Europa league's champ's league place means that big clubs are starting to take it seriously a couple of rounds earlier than they used to do though there is always the chance - if we could ever get past the qualifiers - of meeting a few teams who play their reserves/try to lose to get out of the tournament in the opening rounds.

No, we play in the SPFL Premiership! :D 

I understand it's not a priority, but I don't see why there can't be a manager that can do the job now, while also bring something, build something, that will see us progress in Europe. 'Progress' is relative; it doesn't mean Qualifying for the CL Last-16, merely being able to take on European sides without reverting to ultra-defensive, counter-attacking football; maybe go on a run in the Europa League. 

6 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

Do you think that, maybe, the pursuit of a 'marquee' name has behind it a rationale beyond exciting the long suffering support, and encouraging them to invest in season tickets?

Most probably. Short-termism in a nut-shell.

What's worrying is many see this as a good move, simply because of that marquee name. It just doesn't follow for me.