Poll: Steven Gerrard as Rangers manager - Yea or Nay?

Is Gerrard a good appointment?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gerrard a good appointment?

• Yes - he'll bring a profile and respect much needed at the club
    • No - we need experience and pragmatism, not another risk
    • Undecided - it's exciting but also gives me the fear

Evening Times report Neil Camerons says,

"I spoke to someone close to Gerrard today who said “no chance” when asked whether this was a goer."

That's the most believeable thing I've read on the matter. He'd have to be a wee bit crazy to leave a perfect learning environment and jump right into the deep end at Rangers.

Let's not kid ourselves on and be clear from the outset, Gerrard is building his managerial career, if he does come to us it's a stepping stone to the EPL. If he does well at us he might even end up at his beloved Liverpool, let's hope he wins a us a few titles and cups before that happens though, all assuming the rumours are true and he is own his way to us. Hope springs eternal as they say, even though we have had an apprentice manager in situ these last few months, the prospect of apprentice Gerrards does get my juices flowing again, i'm sure the more robust members of the forum will detect a touch of irony here.

7 hours ago, der Berliner said:

In what way he ain't comparable with Souness? We can sure outspend all but one team in Scotland, and while we can hardly compete with the EPL sides et al, we may attract (not least due to Gerrard himself, similar to PC) freebies of international calibre.

As with all managers, you will only after half a year or so see whether it worked or not. Even if it works it does not mean that the spending power of the Yahoos might be too much for instant success.

He's incomparable to Souness in a multitude of ways.  If you don't see that then none of us can explain it to you.

7 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Even if he gets financial and back-room support, it doesn't mean he'll be successful. I still don't know what He brings? How does he want to play the game, can he implement it? etc.

I don't necesarily want "experience and pragmatism".

For me, M. Laudurp, Villas-Boas (unattached) would be solid appointments; Basel's Raphael Wicky's been good; Hertha's Pal Dardai (Hoffenheim's Nagelsmann will be free in the summer, but is not an option); Benevento's De Zerbi is more of a left-field option. They all show tactical proficiency, but vary in terms of pragmatism and experience.

There is also nothing to suggest that Steven Gerrard cannot be a better manager than every single one you have mentioned.  The only variable is that we haven't seen him manage a club yet.

It's all very well saying "what doe He bring" - but the reality that, as fans, we have little option but to trust the Board in asking those questions.  Nagelsmann is a non-starter, we know that.  The others would be no more a guarantee than Gerrard because they have never been involved in the British game.  You can't just take a philosophy from one country to another and expect it to work (or... you better believe in it AND have the patience to see it out...)

7 hours ago, Rousseau said:

And Gerard is?

What is your opinion on Gerard being our next manager?

I would take Gerrard before the vast majority of names we have heard.  For no other reason than he would actually excite the fanbase. 

Of all the names we have heard Warnock would be "safe" and a better bet.  MPH I would be interested in. 

Robbie Neilson ?  Alex Neil ?  Even FDB... No thanks, I would take the risk on Gerrard.

5 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

An unknown quantity.

How common is it for someone to return to success in Europe after working in a retirement league?

I agree with you. 

I still see those names as a safer bet than Gerard, even if they are "working in a retirement league".

1 hour ago, craig said:

There is also nothing to suggest that Steven Gerrard cannot be a better manager than every single one you have mentioned.  The only variable is that we haven't seen him manage a club yet.

It's all very well saying "what doe He bring" - but the reality that, as fans, we have little option but to trust the Board in asking those questions.  Nagelsmann is a non-starter, we know that.  The others would be no more a guarantee than Gerrard because they have never been involved in the British game.  You can't just take a philosophy from one country to another and expect it to work (or... you better believe in it AND have the patience to see it out...)

Surely the onus is on those Pro-Gerard posters to provide the evidence? 

I need to know what he'll bring before I can judge this potential appointment. I do have to trust the board on that matter, which I'll await. Until then I can only judge it on current evidence.

I'd rather take a known philosophy, even if it is untested in the UK, than no philosophy. Until I know what Gerard brings with regards to philosophy, I can't really judge, so prefer to err on the side of caution and scepticism.