Problems at Ibrox....

Frankie,

I think that you are actually mis-interpreting the conversation.  pete wasn't talking about managers having played at a high level, he was talking about Directors of Football, at least that is how I take it given Overmars is DoF at Ajax.  There is a very real difference between being manager and DoF.

The key to being a successful coach/manager is being able to successful communicate your plan to your team/individual.

Manager/coaches don't need long pro careers, to have a sound understanding of the game, but the need to know how to convey the information properly.

It's interesting that in the Top Five/Six (I've lost sense of where Arsenal are...) of the EPL, those managers that did play to a high level as players, were defensive and tended to go under the radar: Guardiola was a DM, as was Conte; Pochettino was a CB; and none of them were stand-outs.

Mourinho, Klopp, and Wenger barely played, if at all.  

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's interesting that in the Top Five/Six (I've lost sense of where Arsenal are...) of the EPL, those managers that did play to a high level as players, were defensive and tended to go under the radar: Guardiola was a DM, as was Conte; Pochettino was a CB; and none of them were stand-outs.

Guardiola wasnt a "stand-out"  :eek2: :murty:

Edited by buster.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

Guardiola wasnt a "stand-out"  :eek2: :murty:

Exceptional player, and vital, but I wouldn't say he was the main man. When you think of that squad, you don't think of Guardiola. IMO.

Just now, Rousseau said:

Exceptional player, but I wouldn't say he was the main man. When you think of that squad, you don't think of Guardiola. IMO.

An "Exceptional player" of 20 years of age thrust in as midfield pivot in Cruyff's Barcelona 'Dream Team' that won the European Cup  wasn't a "stand-out".

Away and have a ly down.

10 minutes ago, buster. said:

An "Exceptional player" of 20 years of age thrust in as midfield pivot in Cruyff's Barcelona 'Dream Team' that won the European Cup  wasn't a "stand-out".

Away and have a ly down.

Aye, OK. Calm down, FFS. 

"Stand-out" was the wrong phrase, but the point remains. 

34 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Aye, OK. Calm down, FFS. 

"Stand-out" was the wrong phrase, but the point remains. 

The point doesn't remain. You may well go on second hand English articles and reports but I was in Spain for most of the 90's and believe me that Guardiola was considered as a hugely important player for Barcelona. A crucial and literally pivotal part of the Cruyff way of having his team play.

He was a "stand-out" player and if you want to change the goalposts and call it something else, that's fine..... we could all do that when found to be talking Colin Nish  :murty:;)

35 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

What you smoking when you say Guardiola wasn't a stand-out ??? :shock:

30 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Exceptional player, and vital, but I wouldn't say he was the main man. When you think of that squad, you don't think of Guardiola. IMO.

You are too young to remember :ninja: