Problems at Ibrox....

46 minutes ago, craig said:

Having a knowledge of football doesn't mean playing at a high level though.

In fact, it appears that playing at a high level means you don't have much of a knowledge of football, or the ability to articulate what you know.  Just look at the successful managers out there.  Very few were a great success as footballers.  Equally, we see time and time again a successful footballer that fails in management.  I just hope Steve G is the exception eh!?!

44 minutes ago, craig said:

Having a knowledge of football doesn't mean playing at a high level though.

I am not sure I catch you there. I would think that 30+ years of top coaching as most have been through at academies or boys clubs gives you a reasonable degree of knowledge in the sport. You can't learn football on a laptop. A laptop may aid and abet but it can not replace the human eye.

10 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

In fact, it appears that playing at a high level means you don't have much of a knowledge of football, or the ability to articulate what you know.  Just look at the successful managers out there.  Very few were a great success as footballers.  Equally, we see time and time again a successful footballer that fails in management.  I just hope Steve G is the exception eh!?!

Name me a top manager that didn't play professional football. There may be a few somewhere but nowhere near the top. Does being a world star make you a good manager then that is a different question. The answer to that is No.

6 minutes ago, pete said:

Name me a top manager that didn't play professional football. There may be a few somewhere but nowhere near the top. Does being a world star make you a good manager then that is a different question. The answer to that is No.

Bill Struth... :whistle:

1 minute ago, compo said:

I don't think Brenda played a professional match of football I think his career was over with injury before he ever played a game .

He was still a professional player.  Same with guys such as Mourinho.

Generally Pete's point stands - yes there are the odd exceptions but as a rule, most successful managers have usually played the game to a decent, professional standard.  Certainly in the modern era anyway.

3 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Generally Pete's point stands - yes there are the odd exceptions but as a rule, most successful managers have usually played the game to a decent, professional standard.  Certainly in the modern era anyway.

Arrigo Satchi

Just now, Frankie said:

This begs two questions, even if just for the sake of asking them...

1. If all managers have been pro players, how is it possible to assess the feasibility of managers who haven't been players being successful? How do you assess something that doesn't exist - and if it doesn't exist, how do you use it to justify the need for playing experience?

2. Is there any evidence that it is being a pro player that provides successful managers with the ingredients they need for that success? Or would they have been successful anyway for other reasons?

18 minutes ago, pete said:

“I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.” ~ Arrigo Sacchi :ninja: 

23 minutes ago, Bill said:

This begs two questions, even if just for the sake of asking them...

1. If all managers have been pro players, how is it possible to assess the feasibility of managers who haven't been players being successful? How do you assess something that doesn't exist - and if it doesn't exist, how do you use it to justify the need for playing experience?

2. Is there any evidence that it is being a pro player that provides successful managers with the ingredients they need for that success? Or would they have been successful anyway for other reasons?

It does exist, just not to a large enough extent to quantify or analyse all that effectively.

I'd argue some experience as a football player is required in terms of gaining the respect of a dressing room but other managerial qualities may negate the need for such (see Struth).  Relevant field experience is usually applied to most career opportunities but even in sport the differences between say something like rugby and football seem too big for any successful manager (or coach) to traverse.  That's perhaps because it's that fundamental understanding of the game that is missing - something which, arguably at least, can often only be found by taking an active part in it.

Sometimes you have to swim against the current on issues such as this but I've seen enough risks at Rangers for the time being... ;)