The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

23 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Be that as it may, John is quite good at going forward and may fit in rather well in a 3-4-3 or the like. The left-wing, unless SG wants to shift folk like Murphy a little, is well covered with Murphy and Arfield, with Middleton waiting for an opportunity and John capable too. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be movement once we reach the latter stages of the qualification phase or even the group stages, when money flows more seriously.

I doubt Arfield will be used on the wing this season.  No reason to.  Plus, the way he played in central midfield last week suggests, to me at least, that he will be deployed centrally - and, IMO, rightly so.  The way that he ghosts between the lines reminds me of a younger Naismith.

Well, a left-sided midfielder does not need to be a winger, nor do we need the latter in any game ... not least when we play with three "strikers" up front, as some suggested. But we shall see. If there is interest, SG will have plans in mind - likewise for the players that  he has ... and I guess we are all quite excited on how these plans will unfold.

Edited by der Berliner

SG obviously fancies Flanagan as he would be too much trouble (and a fitness gamble) to bring him in to play backup, and Tav has been named captain so SG obviously rates him highly as well, so there is absolutely no chance we are bringing in another full back for a significant fee and wage. We simply need other first team players more than a backup full back.

Do we not have a decent youth player at this position who can deputise if injuries kick in? We need to be giving these guys the glimpse of an opportunity of a first team spot. If they see 3 players in front of them all on first team wages, they know they have no chance of making it with us.

File this Mohammadi story in the huge overflowing waste disposal unit marked "made up pish"

Tannochsidebear ... one should keep in mind that Declan John has just turned 23, just a year older than "young" Morelos. It could well be that SG goes 3-at-the-back every now and then, but even if we have two fullbacks, Tav and John can be subbed by Flanagan and, as of now, Hodson or even Halliday. Not ideal, but far from being a problem.

It's going to be horses for courses according to Gerrard himself who has previously commented that we can't be playing exactly the same style against all opposition. I think we already have options and probably still more to come.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

It's going to be horses for courses according to Gerrard himself who has previously commented that we can't be playing exactly the same style against all opposition. I think we already have options and probably still more to come.

That for me was one of our main problem last season, far too predictable and teams could set out easily to upset us,IMO. We need to be able to change it up not only against different teams but during matches as well.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Tannochsidebear ... one should keep in mind that Declan John has just turned 23, just a year older than "young" Morelos. It could well be that SG goes 3-at-the-back every now and then, but even if we have two fullbacks, Tav and John can be subbed by Flanagan and, as of now, Hodson or even Halliday. Not ideal, but far from being a problem.

Its a decent point dB, I personally dont think DJ can defend and melts under pressure so I have pretty much written him off from my thoughts, perhaps unfairly.

Bringing Hodson & Halliday into the equation is just cruel on your part, just when we were trying to create some optimism! I would be happier with Beerman than those 2.

3 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Well, a left-sided midfielder does not need to be a winger, nor do we need the latter in any game ... not least when we play with three "strikers" up front, as some suggested. But we shall see. If there is interest, SG will have plans in mind - likewise for the players that  he has ... and I guess we are all quite excited on how these plans will unfold.

Arfield ismt a left sided midfielder though, at least not to the best of my knowledge.