The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

Southampton have failed in an 10m plus adons bid for Danny Ings, because Liverpool apparently want 20m.

+ + +

Scottish Sun SportVerified account @scotsunsport
Rangers eye up English defender as alternative if they fail to sign Jake Cooper[IMG]https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...rangers-steven-gerrard-blackpool-jake-cooper/

... to which former Rangers employee and London based sports reporter Andrew Dickson answered:

[IMG]Andrew Dickson‏Verified account @mrandrewdickson 4m4 minutes ago
Andrew Dickson Retweeted Scottish Sun Sport

Don’t think they will fail...

+ + +

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Who's the alternative to Cooper? (I'm not clicking the link.)

We all thought the Ings rumour was unlikely, simply because of his value. 

Curtis Tilt from Blackpool (according to rags)

Forget Ings, let someone else pay big money for an injury prone forward.

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Mr. Bartley, the Kyle version that is, has signed for West Brom in a 3-year 6m deal.

English market very seldom represents value for money, it's loco !

We need to develop scouting contacts in other countries.

Yep ... Millwall want 5m or the like for Cooper (we bid a 3m take it or leave it ... and someone says there's a buy-out clause), Curtis Tilt is assumingly available for 1m, as Ipswich bid 550k and were rejected. Both have 12 months of their contracts remaining.

1 minute ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

We will go back in for Cooper in my humble opinion 

It's an interesting transfer as £3-4m on another centre half would suggest Gerrard favours three at the back - or certainly plenty defensive cover should it be required.

It also doesn't leave us much money for a creative midfielder and striker but I guess the latter especially may well come from the loan market and the former might come from Middleton instead of someone like Wilson.

11 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Jim White reports that we have made 4 bids now for him, but Millwall stating he's not for sale now. The latter a bit strange, as they could have said that from the off.

Is he that good? I mean 3m+ good?

I've had info from some Millwall fans that say he's a 10m+ rated player by them and their club, which is why I don't think we can afford him.  I've not seen him, but one of the guys who told me this is a former international defender himself and thinks he's got everything.  We must think we have a chance though, but I can't work out why.  Does he have a short term left on his contract?  I don't know.  Millwall will have to be seen to drive a hard bargain though, because if they let him go on the cheap, their fans will be furious.

As Frankie said, Gerrard must be keen on deploying three centre backs in many games if he's willing to spend the bulk of his transfer budget on him.  That makes sense I suppose against most of the SPL teams.

I am sure most of us are delighted that we are treating the defence so seriously this window.  It's had very little attention previously in my opinion, and yet most of us who were around in the Souness days appreciate just what a difference it made to get that right first of all.  He rightly said, if we don't lose goals, we don't lose games.  How true!