The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

Does anyone know if the Scottish transfer window is shutting at the same time as the English one this year which has been brought forward to 9 August.

Apparantly to try to minimise disruption to sides a few weeks into the season, they have brought the window forward to just before he first league game.

Makes a lot of sense, but means we only have 3 weeks to find some creativity and a goalscorer or we are seriously going to have problems breaking teams down this season. Perhaps Sadiq is the answer, but his career to date doesnt show much and I was guessing he was more backup.

15 minutes ago, craig said:

dB, Sadiq isn’t experienced.

... I was comparing him to Solanke, well, in my mind. And Sadiq has played in Italy and the Netherland's top divison, albeit not much.

In saying that, most of our youngsters now have more international experience than some first teamers, due to the Development Teams challenge games last season.

The transfer window closes on August 31st in Scotland ... but as per usual, freebies can be signed afterwards. It could well be that we have to wait and see when the English sides have to register their first team squads and have people over their quota, but I'm not sure whether that is a good idea - the English market that is.

It is still early doors, but Lafferty and Cummings would have broken their necks yesterday, fighting for any inch. Won't happen now, but we sure need folk of that attitude.

22 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Does anyone know if the Scottish transfer window is shutting at the same time as the English one this year which has been brought forward to 9 August.

Apparantly to try to minimise disruption to sides a few weeks into the season, they have brought the window forward to just before he first league game.

Makes a lot of sense, but means we only have 3 weeks to find some creativity and a goalscorer or we are seriously going to have problems breaking teams down this season. Perhaps Sadiq is the answer, but his career to date doesnt show much and I was guessing he was more backup.

Scottish window is open longer I believe.  Till end of August.  So we can pick up players who miss out on the 25 man EPL squads.  Could be wrong though.

6 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

... I was comparing him to Solanke, well, in my mind. And Sadiq has played in Italy and the Netherland's top divison, albeit not much.

In saying that, most of our youngsters now have more international experience than some first teamers, due to the Development Teams challenge games last season.

The transfer window closes on August 31st in Scotland ... but as per usual, freebies can be signed afterwards. It could well be that we have to wait and see when the English sides have to register their first team squads and have people over their quota, but I'm not sure whether that is a good idea - the English market that is.

It is still early doors, but Lafferty and Cummings would have broken their necks yesterday, fighting for any inch. Won't happen now, but we sure need folk of that attitude.

Ahhh, gotcha.  Didn't come across that way to me - I just read "Sadiq is experienced".  Compared to Solanke I agree.  Sadiq may very well be our next McCoist (as much chance of that as being our next Sebo at this point).  But, regardless, I think we need AT LEAST one more striker, one that is prolific.  Hopefully we will see movement when the English window shuts - I think for a prolific striker that loan market may be the place to go.  We only need look at Morelos to see what you can get in other leagues.  We paid just 1 million for him, he has scored a fair number of goals for us but he is very inconsistent, and not a prolific striker, not instinctive.  For 1 million we did well, but we wont get the finished article, probably no matter where we look.

The English market CAN work out OK but it very much depends on pricing too.  Musonda would suggest it isn't guaranteed to work (no transfer is) but there will be teams who may very well be happy to get players off the books and a punt on one of them may make sense.  I hope Morelos' form turns around but I get a horrible feeling that his value will continue to fall as he looks very poor right now, IMO.

Funnily enough, I reckon Cummings would work out better than Morelos in this team - still don't think he is the required level, but he certainly wouldn't do any worse than Morelos.  And a big difference between the two is that Cummings actually wanted to be here... Morelos looks like he would rather be anywhere but here

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Ahhh, gotcha.  Didn't come across that way to me - I just read "Sadiq is experienced".  Compared to Solanke I agree.  Sadiq may very well be our next McCoist (as much chance of that as being our next Sebo at this point).  But, regardless, I think we need AT LEAST one more striker, one that is prolific.  Hopefully we will see movement when the English window shuts - I think for a prolific striker that loan market may be the place to go.  We only need look at Morelos to see what you can get in other leagues.  We paid just 1 million for him, he has scored a fair number of goals for us but he is very inconsistent, and not a prolific striker, not instinctive.  For 1 million we did well, but we wont get the finished article, probably no matter where we look.

The English market CAN work out OK but it very much depends on pricing too.  Musonda would suggest it isn't guaranteed to work (no transfer is) but there will be teams who may very well be happy to get players off the books and a punt on one of them may make sense.  I hope Morelos' form turns around but I get a horrible feeling that his value will continue to fall as he looks very poor right now, IMO.

Funnily enough, I reckon Cummings would work out better than Morelos in this team - still don't think he is the required level, but he certainly wouldn't do any worse than Morelos.  And a big difference between the two is that Cummings actually wanted to be here... Morelos looks like he would rather be anywhere but here

The frustrating thing for me is that I rate Morelos as a player, he's shown us that he can play and has various qualities but his Rangers career has sort of fell off a cliff (months ago) and the new season under a new manager is showing very little sign that things have changed.

I think you are right that his value will continue to fall. 

There are times when I think you have to accept something isn't working and you have to do something about it.

I think moving him on NOW would be in everyones best interest. 

15 minutes ago, buster. said:

The frustrating thing for me is that I rate Morelos as a player, he's shown us that he can play and has various qualities but his Rangers career has sort of fell off a cliff (months ago) and the new season under a new manager is showing very little sign that things have changed.

I think you are right that his value will continue to fall. 

There are times when I think you have to accept something isn't working and you have to do something about it.

I think moving him on NOW would be in everyones best interest. 

Agreed.

If his form continues as it is his value will continue to fall.  You then also have to factor in the impact his demeanor may be having on the squad.  You also have to factor in his decision-making, which is often poor.  You also have to factor in the frustration of team-mates when he misses an easy chance.

However, you also have to factor in the goals he brings to the team.... start of last season you wouldn't want to sell him at all.  Since end of January you wouldn't have him near the starting line up if you had a) decent alternatives and b) a manager who isn't afraid of those decisions.  I doubt SG would hesitate in dropping him if he wasn't performing and he had alternatives.

I would be tempted to try Windass centrally, at least until Sadiq is up to speed - he is most effective centrally and, as a goalscorer, he certainly couldn't do worse than Morelos right now.

1 minute ago, craig said:

Agreed.

If his form continues as it is his value will continue to fall.  You then also have to factor in the impact his demeanor may be having on the squad.  You also have to factor in his decision-making, which is often poor.  You also have to factor in the frustration of team-mates when he misses an easy chance.

However, you also have to factor in the goals he brings to the team.... start of last season you wouldn't want to sell him at all.  Since end of January you wouldn't have him near the starting line up if you had a) decent alternatives and b) a manager who isn't afraid of those decisions.  I doubt SG would hesitate in dropping him if he wasn't performing and he had alternatives.

I would be tempted to try Windass centrally, at least until Sadiq is up to speed - he is most effective centrally and, as a goalscorer, he certainly couldn't do worse than Morelos right now.

I think it comes down to if Alfredo wants to be at Ibrox or not.

If he genuinely does and it's a confidence issue then fair enough but if it is more and I suspect it is, then his agent needs to be called. There are 6 weeks left in the window, less if we are talking England.

As for now, he needs benched (at least)*

*Sadiq better get warmed up sharpish and Rudden couldn't do any worse

I'm still of the opinion that the system we played since MW (or nigh forever it seems) simply doesn't suit Morelos (or Herrera or Cummings). The one up top and two or three attackers near to him. It might, IF we had the players working with that. What we sorely miss is a forward really working with him and themtwo working together. We've trialled the 4-3-3 and similar approach and it simply doesn't work, be it because of players not up for that or because of the opposition making a hash of it due to anti-football tactics. Far too often our main striker is isolated or doubled up. This has to change.

Do we think Morelos would do better with a partner. I'm with db I don't really like formations that leave strikers isolated, particularly when it doesn't suit their game

We need to keep him for the time being, we can't afford to lose him at least until we can get someone in, I would keep a hold of him, I think he offers something different, however he needs to get out his own head and stop snatching at balls, his positioning can be suspect sometimes, he needs to work on heading a ball and his decision making can be suspect sometimes.

It would be good to get an experienced striker in to give him some guidance and take the burden off him a bit.

I'm hoping to god we can get Defoe, it would be a massive coup for the club even at his age, and he would be a good foil for Morelos.

I actually think Morelos looks the happiest he has been in the whole time he has been here, it's Windass that really looks like he doesn't want to be here.