The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

As reported by The Scottish Sun, Rangers are in the hunt to sign Iran World Cup star Milad Mohammadi this summer as competition for Declan John, Jon Flanagan and Lee Wallace on the left side of the Gers defence.

Having already made nine signings so far this summer, Steven Gerrard has wasted no time in changing the look and feel of the Rangers squad after 2017/18’s disastrous campaign.

It seems he is intent on adding more faces to the squad though, with the defensive line continuing to be a big priority.

The latest player linked is Milad Mohammadi, who plays in the Russian top-flight with Akhmat Grozny, where he has a year left on his contract.

The Scottish Sun reckon he could cost as much as £2m, on the back of performances for Iran in the group stages of the World Cup. He is the player whose humorous rolling throw-in style went viral when the Iranians faced off against Spain earlier in the summer.

Rangers are already blessed with a few options at left-back, with Declan John emerging as a top performer last season. With Lee Wallace’s future in doubt after a bust-up with the hierarchy at Ibrox though, competition is perhaps needed. Jon Flanagan is expected to play in both full-back areas at times in the coming season, although is primarily a right-sided defender.

Signing a 24-year-old international defender with Russian Premier League experience would certainly be welcome though, more proof that Rangers mean business this coming season.

https://rangers.vitalfootball.co.uk/rangers-make-russian-based-defender-valued-at-2m-a-summer-transfer-target/

I can only assume that we are expecting to lose DJ then.  Otherwise, why would we have 3 players for the one position?  Wallace will be gone, and JF has just arrived.  I like DJ but maybe SG just doesn't think he is good enough defensively, or we've maybe received interest from another club for him.  The only other alternative is that he sees DJ as a winger again.

or of course, the story is made up - AGAIN

Edited by Gaffer

23 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I can only assume that we are expecting to lose DJ then.  Otherwise, why would we have 3 players for the one position?  Wallace will be gone, and JF has just arrived.  I like DJ but maybe SG just doesn't think he is good enough defensively, or we've maybe received interest from another club for him.  The only other alternative is that he sees DJ as a winger again.

or of course, the story is made up - AGAIN

I think Mohammadi is more a winger type that can play Left-back, rather than being a Left-back.

Technically, Flanagan is a Right-back. At this early stage, I think he is ahead of DJ, though. 

Firstly, the usual hyperbole from the tabloids. This "World Cup star" played about 55 minutes in the world cup in total. He was backup to the unremarkable Ehsan Hajsafi. So I'd say there's no chance we're paying £2m for him, especially with a year left on his deal. Looks a player with a decent pedigree and decent potential though.

I agree Flanagan is no1 at left back. Wallace and Hodson will surely be leaving which leaves us with Tavernier, Flanagan and Declan John. I wouldn't add another senior full back to the squad when we have Ryan Jack who could easily slot in at RB too, especially considering our glut of centre mids. We also have Beerman to call on if we're desperate.

2 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Dalcio clinches first move after his forgettable Rangers spell

The former Portugal under-19 international has now clinched a loan move to Portuguese side Belenenses.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/07/12/dalcio-clinches-first-move-after-his-forgettable-rangers-spell/

We always assume leagues like the Portuguese league are streets ahead of ours, but Belenses are a solid mid table side. And they have just signed Dalcio. Dalcio. Hamilton wouldn't touch him with a barge-pole.

40 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Firstly, the usual hyperbole from the tabloids. This "World Cup star" played about 55 minutes in the world cup in total. He was backup to the unremarkable Ehsan Hajsafi. So I'd say there's no chance we're paying £2m for him, especially with a year left on his deal. Looks a player with a decent pedigree and decent potential though.

I agree Flanagan is no1 at left back. Wallace and Hodson will surely be leaving which leaves us with Tavernier, Flanagan and Declan John. I wouldn't add another senior full back to the squad when we have Ryan Jack who could easily slot in at RB too, especially considering our glut of centre mids. We also have Beerman to call on if we're desperate.

I doubt we will ever see Beerman again in a Rangers first team shirt as I just don't think he is good enough and certainly not hard enough for stevie G.

I see confirmation from the official site that Bruno has left the club by mutual consent, his contract being terminated. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. Short and to the point statement below; 

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/bruno-alves/

RANGERS can today confirm Bruno Alves’ contract has been terminated by mutual agreement.

Alves made 25 appearances for Rangers last season, of which six were as captain of the side. He also netted two goals for the Light Blues.

Rangers wish the defender the very best for his future career

4 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I think Mohammadi is more a winger type that can play Left-back, rather than being a Left-back.

Technically, Flanagan is a Right-back. At this early stage, I think he is ahead of DJ, though. 

Be that as it may, John is quite good at going forward and may fit in rather well in a 3-4-3 or the like. The left-wing, unless SG wants to shift folk like Murphy a little, is well covered with Murphy and Arfield, with Middleton waiting for an opportunity and John capable too. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be movement once we reach the latter stages of the qualification phase or even the group stages, when money flows more seriously.