Europa League QR3: Rangers / Maribor v FC Ufa / Progres

Yeah happy with the draw, as a lot of folk have said, probably the best we could have got and puts us in a better position than I thought we would be, hopefully dispose of the Croatians over the next two games and get a bit of momentum going.

Pretty much the best we could've hoped for. Osijek will be no pushovers though, so the old cliché applies.

The painful lack of internationals in our squad is now coming in to sharp focus. The only silver lining for me, is that our more settled opponents, current and potential, are at the start of their seasons too and are every bit as vulnerable to an upset and exit as we are (glass half full here). 

That said, the lack of movement in the transfer market is beginning to concern me slightly.

5 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Pretty much the best we could've hoped for. Osijek will be no pushovers though, so the old cliché applies.

The painful lack of internationals in our squad is now coming in to sharp focus. The only silver lining for me, is that our more settled opponents, current and potential, are at the start of their seasons too and are every bit as vulnerable to an upset and exit as we are (glass half full here). 

That said, the lack of movement in the transfer market is beginning to concern me slightly.

Lack of movement ?  With 10 signings ? :shock:

7 minutes ago, craig said:

Lack of movement ?  With 10 signings ? :shock:

Do you not wish for more signings which are proven Craig? Liverpool youth players are all well and good if they come off, but we can't really rely on them can we?

Remember guys like Lee Martin?

Edited by Soulsonic5791

1 minute ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Do you not wish for more signings which are proven Craig? Liverpool youth players are all well and good if they come off, but we can't really rely on them can we?

Remember guys like Lee Martin?

I do, but I wouldn’t call 10 signings lack of movement.  Maybe lack of known quantities instead ?  Internet doesn’t help with context :(

1 hour ago, craig said:

I do, but I wouldn’t call 10 signings lack of movement.  Maybe lack of known quantities instead ?  Internet doesn’t help with context :(

Fair enough mate.

Whilst I'm reasonably satisfied with the business we've done thus far, I reckon we are still light. I honestly think (and I caveat this with 'the window is far from shut') that if we head into the first half of the season with a playing squad pretty much as it currently stands, then the euphoric sense of expectation back in mid May will have to be drastically revised by large sections of the support.

Stevie and his team may be very, very good at what they do but they are not miracle workers. I'm not expecting miracles nor 55 this time around, but if any subsequent signings are of a similar quality to what we've seen up until now (Coulibaly and Sidiq aside as we haven't seen them yet) then thousands, who are hoping for a miracle, are going to be sorely disappointed in my view.

I obviously hope I am very wrong and that everyone can excel and deliver over and above most fans expectations this season.

Edited by Soulsonic5791

I think we need a wee reality check here. It’s a fair bet that Osijek have better players than us, so I don’t know why everybody seems to be expecting an easy game. Croatia have just got to the World Cup final ffs. Scotland haven’t even qualified for 20 years, and our Scottish players can’t even get into their squad at the moment. Osijek are seeded for a reason. It would be a huge achievement to beat them. Steven Gerrard has already done better than a Caixinha by beating a better team than Progres were, so I hope he isn’t going to get stick if we lose.

And as for Maribor, they have knocked out us, Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen in recent years, so I don’t think they would be fearing us either..