1 hour ago, Bill said:

I’ve no preference at all who wins the WC but wouldn’t mind seeing Senegal go out. I’ve nothing against them but it would make it a clean sweep of African teams and piss on the BBC’s love affair with everything African. I’ve never forgotten the extreme & blatant bias in BBC commentary at a previous WC involving Ghana. 

SBcGG8h.gif

Argentina manage to sqeeze through then.

Iceland didn't have the cutting edge and tbh didn't deserve to go through.

Nigeria missed their chance and in that second half, it was there in front of them.

Great goal from Messi then he reverted back to WC type, leaving it up to others to drive them to a winner.

Very seldom, if ever seen him make so many basic errors together in 45 minutes of football (2nd half).

Can't see this Argentina team getting past France but given how difficult the predictions league is proving, I wouldn't write that in ink.

-------------

Croatia have a last 16 tie against Denmark that they'll fancy getting through,...then it would be Spain or Russia in the quarters.

I'd almost make Croatia favourites to get to the semis.

-------------

Top half of the draw will be a LOT 'heavier' than the bottom if Brazil and Germany join it today.

So far it has Uruguay, Portugal, France and Argentina.

Ironic that it'll be whoever wins the England group who'll get the dubious honour to join it.

I'm looking at the Germans group and it appears that if both Germany and Sweden were to win 1-0 then you'd have three teams on the same points, same GD, same goals scored.

1     Mexico Mexico 2 2 0 0 3 1 +2 6 WW  
2   Previous rank: 3 Germany Germany 2 1 0 1 2 2 +0 3 WL  
3   Previous rank: 2 Sweden Sweden 2 1 0 1 2 2 +0 3 LW  
4     Korea Republic Korea Republic 2 0 0 2 1 3 -2 0

Then (I think) it would come down to Fair Play

Current status

Mexico:  2 Yellows

Germany: 4 yellows (but including 1 red)

Sweden: 3 yellows

5 hours ago, buster. said:

I'm looking at the Germans group and it appears that if both Germany and Sweden were to win 1-0 then you'd have three teams on the same points, same GD, same goals scored.

1     Mexico Mexico 2 2 0 0 3 1 +2 6 WW  
2   Previous rank: 3 Germany Germany 2 1 0 1 2 2 +0 3 WL  
3   Previous rank: 2 Sweden Sweden 2 1 0 1 2 2 +0 3 LW  
4     Korea Republic Korea Republic 2 0 0 2 1 3 -2 0

Then (I think) it would come down to Fair Play

Current status

Mexico:  2 Yellows

Germany: 4 yellows (but including 1 red)

Sweden: 3 yellows

Nope, you are wrong buster.  Prior to fair play it comes down to the greatest number of goals scored between the teams concerned.  As it stands, Mexico would have scored just 1 goal in the games between the 3 teams concerned whereas Sweden and Germany would have scored 2 goals in the games between the 3 teams concerned.

The tie-break rules are as follows :

Here are the tie-break scenarios for rankings in the groups:
  • Greatest number of points
  • Goal difference in all group matches
  • Goals scored in all group matches
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:
  • Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned
  • Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned
  • Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned
  • Greater number of points obtained regarding fair play conduct (yellow cards = -1, indirect red card (as a result of a second yellow card) = -3, direct red card = -4, yellow card and direct red = -5, with only one of the deductions applied to a player in a single game)
  • Drawing of lots by FIFA

Right now, England and Belgium would come down to fair play if they draw - with Belgium on two yellows and England on one.

11 minutes ago, craig said:

Nope, you are wrong buster.  Prior to fair play it comes down to the greatest number of goals scored between the teams concerned.  As it stands, Mexico would have scored just 1 goal in the games between the 3 teams concerned whereas Sweden and Germany would have scored 2 goals in the games between the 3 teams concerned.

The tie-break rules are as follows :

Here are the tie-break scenarios for rankings in the groups:
  • Greatest number of points
  • Goal difference in all group matches
  • Goals scored in all group matches
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:
  • Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned
  • Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned
  • Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned
  • Greater number of points obtained regarding fair play conduct (yellow cards = -1, indirect red card (as a result of a second yellow card) = -3, direct red card = -4, yellow card and direct red = -5, with only one of the deductions applied to a player in a single game)
  • Drawing of lots by FIFA

Right now, England and Belgium would come down to fair play if they draw - with Belgium on two yellows and England on one.

Thank's :thup:

So in the double 1 zip scenario I painted, Mexico would be oot and Sweden likely to top the group  unless they were particularly indisciplined this evening.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

Thank's :thup:

So in the double 1 zip scenario I painted, Mexico would be oot and Sweden likely to top the group  unless they were particularly indisciplined this evening.

Correctamondo :D

Germany out. They were dreadful. No plan or if there was one, nobody knew how to execute it. No speed of thought or movement. In fairness, no luck either. A Rangers-like performance.

And another thing, if your hairstyle is immaculate after an hour you’ve not done enough.