Official: Rangers sign Jon Flanagan on 2 year deal

Tavernier is our best player. I really dislike this mentality a lot of Gers fans have, that we should be getting rid of all our players for peanuts just because they haven’t won the league yet. If Celtic got £7million for Armstrong, we should be demanding that for Tav as he is a better player.

As for Flanagan, certainly a good enough player to be back up for both full backs. But it is a gamble by Gerrard, because the moment he even looks at a woman the wrong way then he will be hounded out of Glasgow. Still, top managers make their name by these sort of decisions. Some work out, eg Sir Alex sticking with Cantona or Sir Walter signing Gazza. Some are spectacular failures, eg when Brendan Rogers signed Balotelli for Liverpool..

20 hours ago, 917 said:

As for Flanagan, certainly a good enough player to be back up for both full backs. But it is a gamble by Gerrard, because the moment he even looks at a woman the wrong way then he will be hounded out of Glasgow.

I don't foresee there being any off field problems with Flanagan. Everybody who knows him including SG  who knows not just him but his family stress that this was completely out of character and I just can't see the boy allowing anything untoward happen again.

He had his moment of madness as all of us have he took responsibility and learned from it. 

He's marrying the girl in question who even at the time didn't lodge any complaint about him. The cops became involved because the incident was caught on CCTV. He's not going to be out on the town around Glasgow looking at women in any way at all.

I'm excited about him being in the squad and have no worries about him. All of our players get media grief in one way or another. It's part and parcel of playing for Rangers.

This whole 'we've all done bad things' rhetoric being used to defend the actions of a woman beater is pathetic. I don't remember anyone pedalling the same nonsense in any of the Stan Collymore topics. 

Our club should have certain standards and not signing someone who beat up a woman should be one of them. 

18 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

This whole 'we've all done bad things' rhetoric being used to defend the actions of a woman beater is pathetic. I don't remember anyone pedalling the same nonsense in any of the Stan Collymore topics. 

Our club should have certain standards and not signing someone who beat up a woman should be one of them. 

It is absolutely disgusting to hit a woman.

However I believe any man who has been punished appropriately is entitled to a second chance.

25 minutes ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

This whole 'we've all done bad things' rhetoric being used to defend the actions of a woman beater is pathetic. 

That's a bit gender specific.  Gender is fluid and women are empowered.  Suggesting women are the weaker sex is tantamount to a 'hate crime'.

We've signed the lad, so let's just get on with supporting the team.

Edited by Gonzo79

I can't condone what this guy did to his girlfriend.

That said, the whole justice system in this country is based on rehabilitation, rather than punishment (much to some folk's disgust). If the guy has served his time, he's entitled to go back to work in whatever profession he chooses - in this case, football.

For what it's worth, I think his signing was an unnecessary risk and draws more unwanted negative attention towards the club. But I'm not the Rangers manager (thankfully).

1 hour ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

I would also prefer we didn't bring in players with that type of background.  I'm hypocritical though, like many fans because I just loved watching Gazza, who had a similar issues with his partner at the time.

I'm not sure if people can actually be rehabilitated or truly change their ways and because of that I'd still be very nervous if I was the father of his partner.  Having said that though, our justice system is based on people paying for their crimes and then being reintegrated.  The press seems to be hypocritical too with the way they praise people like Nelson Mandela.  What about his past?  He did some horrific things.  On that basis, I accept Flanagan has a right to a future and since Gerrard has decided he is an asset, I will support him.  I would guess his punishment for that crime will continue for years to come and he has to live with that.  Playing for us under those circumstances will be a test of his character.  I hope he prevails though.

As far a strong Stan Collymore is concerned, I don't dislike him because he beat his partner.  To be honest I can't remember much if anything about that.  I dislike him because he is an attention seeking moron who will say anything to get a reaction - with a particular focus on our club.

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

That's a bit gender specific.  Gender is fluid and women are empowered.  Suggesting women are the weaker sex is tantamount to a 'hate crime'.

We've signed the lad, so let's just get on with supporting the team.

You can shove feminism up your arse ?.

6 hours ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

It is absolutely disgusting to hit a woman.

However I believe any man who has been punished appropriately is entitled to a second chance.

That for me is the bottom line for me, what he did was wrong without question, however everyone deserves a chance, his girlfriend is giving him a chance so is she so wrong?.

SG knows the guy well and he believes in him as a person, who are we to judge? let's hope the guy gets back to his best on the pitch.