[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

8 minutes ago, craig said:

Completely agree.  The wide forward should be squeezing the space down thQuotee touchline, though not all the way back to RB - but the player who should actually be covering for the FB is the wide central midfielder - he is the one that has the shortest distance to travel and also should have cover in CM as his fellow CM's push over to narrow from left to right.

so times that boy was free on his left wing with no one covering wasn't Tav's fault....someone else should have been there to cover....am I getting this right ?....he was right through a couple of times

Edited by colinstein

1 minute ago, craig said:

Scott Allan never went for 300k.  You are forcing situations into your argument.  Celtic paid more than 300k for Scott Allan.

I don't think you are being obtuse at all mate, we just clearly disagree on what a valuation is.  A players valuation really is what someone is willing to pay - Scott Allan isn't worth 300k just because that is what we bid for him.  If Celtic offered 500k for him and signed him for that then that is his valuation, IMO.  Windass, if he leaves, will go for significantly more than 300k - again, IMO.  And that will be his value.

Comparing him to other players and the value of other players is also pretty pointless. 

Probably best if we just agree to disagree - but I WILL be coming back to this thread when/if Windass goes for more than the 300k you mentioned :D

Most of what you've said here I do agree with a player is worth what a team pays for him. In the case of Scott Alan at the time 300k is what we were prepared to pay for a player of that calibre in that position. Celtic didn't pay 300k for him and I have to be honest in saying I have no real data to say what they did actually pay for him.

I said and I'll repeat 3-500k is what I think he's worth so I think Josh Windass is worth up to half a million pounds. If an English club comes in and pays more than that then thats decent business for us as far as I'm concerned. Again though its all conjecture as we've no idea if there have been any bids for the player or if we wish to sell him at all. Finally I have no underlying need to find parity on any issues or discussions I'm comfortable with disagreement. Discussions like valuations should always throw up disagreement as they are entirely subjective. 

9 minutes ago, craig said:

Completely agree.  The wide forward should be squeezing the space down the touchline, though not all the way back to RB - but the player who should actually be covering for the FB is the wide central midfielder - he is the one that has the shortest distance to travel and also should have cover in CM as his fellow CM's push over to narrow from left to right.

You both need to watch the clip again and you'll see who the player was that Windass was tracking. It was their Left Back.

Just now, colinstein said:

so times that boy was free on his left wing with no one covering wasn't Tav's fault....someone else should have been there to cover....am I getting this right ?

Correct, depending on what Tavernier was being asked to do.  If he was being asked to provide support going forward and, effectively, overlapping, then the right sided CM should have been covering for him - if Tav was overlapping then the likelihood is the right winger is the one who has the ball and who he is overlapping... given that the right winger cant really be the one to cover as they both need to support the other - which is where the right sided CM comes in.

1 minute ago, Big Jaws said:

You both need to watch the clip again and you'll see who the player was that Windass was tracking. It was their Left Back.

That isn't the point.  The point is who SHOULD be tracking him back.  The right winger shouldn't have to be tracking all the way back to the full back position - the right sided CM should be the one slotting in when the RB gets further forward and leaves the space from his position

57 minutes ago, buster. said:

Looks more like Tav who gets to the ball, Candeias then picks it up and plays a nice pass to a forward running Tav, who then picks a good ball to Murphy.

Well done to both Tav & Candeias,...sorry, forgot about Murphy :whistle:

All right, Windass aswell :D

You're right Tav did get a nick on it. I hadn't realised he had done that and thought it had just rolled through for Candeias to pick it up then turn it inside to him. It was a nice little nick Tav got on it. ?

3 minutes ago, craig said:

That isn't the point.  The point is who SHOULD be tracking him back.  The right winger shouldn't have to be tracking all the way back to the full back position - the right sided CM should be the one slotting in when the RB gets further forward and leaves the space from his position

It is the point the RW is supposed to tie up the LB so that he can't make those runs. The alternative is to pass him onto the midfield and then what go for a smoke? 

In my day it was the right back who marked the left winger , left back the ŕight winger and so on if  they all do their jobs the tea m are half way there , remember a certain sir Alex was supposed to be marking big McNeil in the 69 cup final Fergie messed it up the result disaster , so get the players to do their job the rest is a piece of piss  .