[FT] Rangers 2 - 0 St Mirren (Morelos, Goldson - McCrorie Sent Off)

29 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Paisley is the fifth most populated town in Scotland with a population of 76,220 (at the last count). Arguably its most famous landmark is Paisley Abbey which dates back to the 12th centaury https://www.paisleyabbey.org.uk/history . Other notable landmarks are the town hall, museum

https://www.renfrewshireleisure.com/paisleymuseum , arts centre, Thomas coats Baptist church http://coatsmemorial.org.uk and the University of the West of Scotland https://www.uws.ac.uk/university-life/campuses/paisley-campus . The University was opened in 2007 after an amalgamation of the Old Paisley university and Bell college. It has campuses in Paisley, Hamilton, Ayr, Dumfries and a campus in London. Student numbers total around 16,000 collectively with circa 10, 000 at the largest Paisley campus. Unfortunately for all Rangers fans the town of paisley will forever be synonymous with the bus company Mcgills and their owners the Easdale brothers. However, fortunately they no longer have a connection with our club and those days are left thankfully in the past.  As we look to the weekend the town is also home to St Mirren FC who we will face this Sunday at Ibrox.

The club was founded in 1877 and now playing at St Mirren park the newly promoted buddies will visit this Sunday for the 3pm kick off. Rangers NIAR legend Ian Ferguson gave St Mirren one of their greatest days in their history with the only goal in the Scottish cup final of 1987 v Dundee United. Ferguson would go on to become a Rangers legend; eventually signing after a long standoff between both clubs concerning the transfer fee. He was a midfield dynamo who could be found either controlling play or bursting forward in a wonderful career. The cry of “Fergie is going to get you” could frequently be heard from the east enclosure should any opposing players decide they wanted to get physical. A great player, a legendary Ranger who is embedded in our history.

Another player who played for both was Stephen Thomson, now a member of the Pacific Quay CFC. A player who was given the opportunity to play for Rangers with open arms. Scoring 62 times in his Rangers career which spanned three years. The club also stood by Stephen during his long layoff with a cruciate knee injury. He was a tall forward who had as much ability with his guitar as he did on the pitch. Stephen can now be found falling into line with his colleagues at Pacific Quay BBC in their unbalanced and jaundiced view of all things Rangers. It’s unfortunate that someone who played for our club and was part of the Rangers family now revels in his role at the BBC and their warped Rangers hating agenda. However, after the result in midweek let’s look forward to Sunday and our visit from Alan Stubbs and his St Mirren side.

The last time I was t a match with Stubbs as opposing manager was the SCF 2016 which didn’t end well. He is a very capable manager and after their win versus Dundee last week, he will have his side looking to cause an upset at Ibrox. It’s fair to say the will be keeping it tight and we will have another tough afternoon trying to break them down. After the midweek exploits it will be a different type of match entirely. The game on Thursday was absolutely incredible. As many on the forum will testify the atmosphere at Ibrox was rocking. There has not been a night like that since the days of Walter and the road to Manchester. The crowd were feeding off the team as they were drawing from the noise and energy created. The football was a joy to watch and for me anyway it was the night the rangers returned and Ibrox was electric again.

This Sunday it’s hard to see the back four changing although Barisic may come in to play? So that would be Mgregor-Tavernier-Katic-Goldson and Barisic. There may be some changes in midfield with perhaps Coulibaly being rested for the upcoming game on Thursday. Midfield of Arfield-Ejaria-Murphy and up-front Kent-Sadiq and Candeias. This may very well not be the team however, it would seem prudent to make some changes to avoid possible injuries for Thursday night. I would hope we would still have enough to get over the line versus St Mirren even with a few changes. I would predict a 3-0 home win with Morelos on the score sheet first.

It feels great to be smiling again when we are talking about Rangers. The mornings just seem nicer and the sun shines a little brighter. I can’t wait for Sunday!

C’mon eh Bears!

Cheers Coop much appreciated.

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Good report but amusing to see forecast team then suggest Morelos to be FGS when you don't name him in team.

Thanks MacK? the old deliberate mistake trick..........You win a prize of a meal for two at a restaurant of your choice, courtesy of Frankie?

Edited by cooponthewing

I think we need to be looking for a convincing win with as least as many goals scored as we hit against Maribor. First home league game of the season against an also ran and a good opportunity to put the fear back into teams coming to Ibrox this season. A fear that's been non existent for sometime now.

As was said on the Record Rangers podcast, I think Scottish teams are going to struggle majorly if we do that level of pressing against them. Maribor struggled majorly with it so I think St Mirren will too. Stubbs like his teams to play on the ground too which could play into our hands. Hopefully the team aren’t too tired. 

I expect the only only changes to be Murphy in for Kent, Barisic for Flanagan. 

Should be a Rangers win we are playing our best football in six years and will be good to stick it up that Scouse git Stubbs .

A good friend of ours died on Thursday before the game a Haddinton man he will be upstairs watching so put on a show for him today .

Edited by compo

I had a look back to this time last year when we played a similar level of opponent.  Our prediction league had a total of 18 goals predicted for Rangers.  This year, we currently have 90 goals predicted from 22 predictions.

The score doesn't really matter (although if I got my 7-0 correct, I'll be delighted of course) but it just shows the level optimism around the club at the moment.  Every supporter I've spoken to is feeling similar emotions, the main one being excitement.  There isn't a single bear who isn't counting down the days and hours for our next match.  The buzz on Thursday was incredible and we all want more of it.

As others have said, this game brings a different pressure as we go into this one expected to win comfortably.  I just don't have the same concerns though, because i feel that this group of players are mentally strong, just as they are physically fit and strong.  And it's always reassuring to know that if any of them forget, the manager will be there to "remind" them at half time.

St Mirren are a decent team.  They've always been a good footballing team (at least for the past 6 or 7 years), and Stubbs will have them well drilled, because that's his way.  As usual, we will have to be disciplined and focussed at the back, and going forward it will be a test of our creative players as they try to find a way through ten men camped on the edge of their own box.  I can't wait.

10 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

Good report but amusing to see forecast team then suggest Morelos to be FGS when you don't name him in team.

He’s expecting it to be 0-0 when Morelos comes off the bench to score the opener :ninja: