Rangers staff risk stoking sectarianism hints Glasgow council boss Susan Aitken

30 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We'll need to get rid of most things in life then.  Social media, TV, MSM etc all fit into the above description.

There's nothing wrong with patriotism.

Patriotism in it's pure form is indeed noble.

As for 'getting rid of flags', rather than a serious proposal, it was a metaphorical viewpoint.

The abuse of Patriotism is very different than simple mediums like TV and social media. Although there is an argument to say getting rid of TV & SM would in many ways improve the world :whistle:

Edited by buster.

3 hours ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Doesn't that viewpoint go some way to explaining and informing the PR strategy?

No one likes us we don't care; the punters will always defiantly come back and pay towards the cause?

Thats a foolish strategy for them to have adopted without at least a cursory glance at the past. If they had minded the past then they definitely wouldn't be using such a strategy because they'd be aware of Rangers fans staying away from games on numerous occasions. I don't know if you remember the John Greig, Jock Wallace debacle with Tommy McLean, Alex Totten and even Walter having to step in after Wallace was sacked before Souness was appointed. I personally don't remember it being an open public campaign in the way the Mike Ashley one has been. From my perspective it was more like a murmur that circulated the supporters buses and associations that resulted in reduced crowds particularly at Ibrox.  

8 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

There's nothing wrong with patriotism.

8 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

The UK is not a nation.

Here is a 'naughty' question for you.

If the UK is a longterm political construct, a Union of nations.

Then in 300 years might a football team be flying the EU flag at it's games ?

14 minutes ago, buster. said:

As for 'getting rid of flags', rather than a serious proposal, it was a metaphorical viewpoint.

The abuse of Patriotism is very different than simple mediums like TV and social media. Although there is an argument to say getting rid of them would in many ways improve the world :whistle:

The flags are not the problem it is the people flying them that need educated.

5 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I know officials/representatives in other parties that are happy to say they're Rangers supporters but there don't appear to be any SNP. The Westminster Supporters Club had members from 4 separate parties IIRC but none from the SNP. Again I'll ask why it that?

Perhaps it's the intolerance of the SNP towards Rangers fans that prevents them rather than the wider societal issue that you're suggesting (not that I'm denying that doesn't exist to an extent).

I'm not a member, or even a supporter, of the SNP so I'm not sure I'm the best person to answer this. I do know SNP members, and SNP politicians, who are Rangers supporters. I noticed the SNP MP for Glasgow South, Stewart McDonald said publicly he was a Rangers supporter as a boy but took very little interest in football these days. But overall I think many politicians, particularly those in power (as opposed to ones trying to get elected) aren't in a rush to shout about their love of the 'Gers. I think this was as big a 'problem' with the Labour party when they controlled Scotland as it is with the SNP now. 

I do think the blood and soil 'cybernat' probably does see support for Rangers as incompatible, but most SNP supporters I know aren't like that. Rangers supporters are under-represented among elected politicians in this country full stop. We have been for decades now. Whatever the issue it's not new. In my opinion. 

42 minutes ago, buster. said:

The abuse of Patriotism is very different than simple mediums like TV and social media. Although there is an argument to say getting rid of them would in many ways improve the world :whistle:

I would tend to fall into the Norman MacCaig camp who said, where patriotism is concerned, and I'm paraphrasing here. 'I'm a patriot for me. I can never understand the general notion of patriotism because you're born in a certain country you say 'here's tae us wha's like us'. Just being born in Scotland, by pure accident, or anywhere else for that matter is no reason for loving it to that un-thought-out extent!'

Basically he's asking what type of person is it that can become ensconced and rooted passionately in a thing thats inception was complete chance. Obviously those who are prone to succumb  to salacious jingoism.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Yes, it is.....just a different flag.

In Scotland, you have Celtic fans with Irish flags and Rangers fans with Union flags :nuts:

So why is Scottish nationalism deemed bad, yet British nationalism is good (certainly on these pages...)???

5 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I know officials/representatives in other parties that are happy to say they're Rangers supporters but there don't appear to be any SNP. The Westminster Supporters Club had members from 4 separate parties IIRC but none from the SNP. Again I'll ask why it that?

Perhaps it's the intolerance of the SNP towards Rangers fans that prevents them rather than the wider societal issue that you're suggesting (not that I'm denying that doesn't exist to an extent).

Sorry to sound like a broken record but beyond the a few misguided tweets by a few councillers, can anyone provide evidence that the SNP (the party, not individuals) have an agenda against Rangers fans or Rangers the club It's stated on here like it's a fact.

2 minutes ago, Darthter said:

So why is Scottish nationalism deemed bad, yet British nationalism is good (certainly on these pages...)???

This has also baffled me over the years. Even more so when you consider that this so called British Nationalism/Unionism has been championed over the last few years by such a bizarre cast of characters including Jim Murphy, Tommy Robinson and the DUP.

16 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Erm, you're on a Rangers forum.  

A more pertinent question might be, why are there Scottish nationalists on these pages?