Rangers 1 - 1 Kilmarnock

Again I get and share the disappointment but we were again by far the better team last night and the only side that wanted to win the game.

We did actually create several chances (our crossing and set-pieces were noticeably better) but a combination of bad luck, poor finishing and good goalkeeping stopped us winning the game comfortably.

In the end Fod saved us from losing but it's not all doom and gloom.  Yes, of course it's a bad result, and annoying to lose ground on Celtic but fortunately, we didn't lose points on others.  Not a great way of looking at it but it is a positive and we can't dismiss tams like Killie who have proven themselves useful time and time again.

• Frankie changed the title to Rangers 1 - 1 Kilmarnock
36 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

If we take a step back for a moment and look at it in context: A draw against Kilmarnock is not the end of the world. They're a very good side; well coached, well drilled and near impossible to break down on a good day.

From a Kilmarnock under Steve Clarke perspective, it was business as usual in Glasgow.

Wed 25/10/17 PRE Rangers 1 - 1 Kilmarnock View events More info
Sat 28/10/17 PRE Celtic 1 - 1 Kilmarnock View events More info
Sat   17/03/18 PRE Rangers 0 - 1 Kilmarnock View events More
Sat   05/05/18 PRE Rangers 1 - 0 Kilmarnock View events More
Wed 09/05/18 PRE Celtic     0 - 0 Kilmarnock  

Wed 31/10/18 PRE Rangers 1 - 1 Kilmarnock  

The positive from the above is that they still have two trips to the Brendenbeu to come.

H or A, Rodgers has never beat Clarke.

Edited by buster.

Usually Alfredo goes on a run of either goals or yellow cards.

At the moment he's doing both........

Wed 31/10/18 PRE Rangers 1 - 1 Kilmarnock G.png YC.png View events More info
Thu 25/10/18 UEL Rangers 0 - 0 Spartak Moskva YC.png   More info
Sun 21/10/18 PRE Hamilton Acade… 1 - 4 Rangers G.png YC.png View events More info
Sun 07/10/18 PRE Rangers 3 - 1 Hearts G.png View events More info
Thu 04/10/18 UEL Rangers 3 - 1 Rapid Wien G.png x2 View events More info
Sun 30/09/18 PRE Livingston 1 - 0 Rangers   View events More info
Wed 26/09/18 LEC Rangers 4 - 0 Ayr United G.png YC.png View events More info
Sun 23/09/18 PRE Rangers 5 - 1 St. Johnstone G.png View events More info
Sat 15/09/18 PRE Rangers 4 - 0 Dundee YC.png  

He's up to 5 league goals for the season (alongside three others), only one player has scored more, Naismith.

He's up to 5 league bookings (alongside one other), only one player has more, MacKinnon (Hamilton).

At this rate he'll be suspended for a game in late November/early December......but aslong as he keeps scoring goals, I'm not that bothered.

edit

Up to 5 bookings because red at Aberdeen was downgraded to yellow.

Edited by buster.

8 minutes ago, compo said:

Stop kidding yourselves this is just not good enough .

As per Frankie, you don't throw the toys out of the pram and we allow SG&Co several transfer windows to sort this out and build something.

The other thread on the go (Financials) shows that to continue going down the annual route of 'All Change' (players and manager) isn't a viable option, never mind that it is myopic and reactionary.

Edited by buster.

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I think it's hilarious that after results like this we all seem to know, without doubt, what we need to improve. It's always a formation change. The latest was a change to a 4-2-3-1 and/or play 2 up top. Well, we changed to a 4-2-3-1 and it was still poor; and when Lafferty came on we went 2 up top, and it was still poor -- the latter was almost worse! (4-4-2 doesn't suit us playing Scottish sides: it's too easy to man-mark. 2 up top could be a good option, but it'd need to go down the 3-at-the-back route.)

I thought we were/are on to a good thing with the 4-3-3; it just needs tweaking, better/more coaching. I don't think we should be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. 

Well if you're going to mock, I could say it's hilarious that you dismiss playing 4-4-2 against Scottish sides when we won 9 in a row playing 4-4-2, and most (if not all) our titles since.

It's easy to mark if you're rubbish. There's nothing inherently wrong with it at all, you're sacrificing a little bit of possession in exchange for giving yourself two strikers instead of one to play one-twos with and help get your midfield forward with the ball. The way things have been recently, sacrificing a bit of possession would be no bad thing.

I'm not saying a formation change is the silver bullet for one minute, but I did point out that we've created almost nothing when we meet some resistance time after time using the status quo and formation changes were options. However if we're not drilled in it (which we don't seem to be) we'll struggle. And swapping to it for brief period certainly won't give it a chance.

2 hours ago, Frankie said:

We did actually create several chances (our crossing and set-pieces were noticeably better) but a combination of bad luck, poor finishing and good goalkeeping stopped us winning the game comfortably.

You're right that we were the only team who wanted to win the game, but the highlights tell the story.

We had about 5 highlights in the whole game;

• Morelos one on one with defenders in a counter attack, gets a lucky deflection for the goal
  • Goldson free header in a great position from a corner, makes a very poor connection on it and it doesn't threaten the goal
  • Tavernier has a good shot from outside the box which clips the bar
  • Kent long shot which the keeper saves quite easily
  • A scramble in the box ends with Arfield poking it wide

Two long shots, a header from a corner which should have been scored but ultimately didn't really threaten, and a scramble in the box which could have been a clear cut chance but didn't really turn into one and ended with a hopeful poke. 

I might have missed something but really the only chance in the highlights is Goldson's header and he bottled it. We can't blame luck or good goalkeeping at all. There were no other real chances where we could expect the player to finish and he didn't.

15 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Well if you're going to mock, I could say it's hilarious that you dismiss playing 4-4-2 against Scottish sides when we won 9 in a row playing 4-4-2, and most (if not all) our titles since.

Have we ever even won the league not playing primarily 4-4-2?

9 minutes ago, DMAA said:

It's easy to mark if you're rubbish. There's nothing inherently wrong with it at all, you're sacrificing a little bit of possession in exchange for giving yourself two strikers instead of one to play one-twos with and help get your midfield forward with the ball. The way things have been recently, sacrificing a bit of possession would be no bad thing.

I'm not saying a formation change is the silver bullet for one minute, but I did point out that we've created almost nothing when we meet some resistance time after time using the status quo and formation changes were options. However if we're not drilled in it (which we don't seem to be) we'll struggle. And swapping to it for brief period certainly won't give it a chance.

I'm not mocking, per se. We all do it. I just felt recently that our suggestions were actually implemented by the manager, with no difference whatsoever. I thought it was amusing.

Sure, you can beat anyone with a 4-4-2 if you have vastly better quality. To be fair, I'm not sure it was always two out-and-out wingers on either side all the time, was it? Didn't Walter like one to tuck in? It's almost 4-3-3... :ninja: 

That's probably the main point: we don't have the quality to chop and change all the time.

I think a 4-4-2 just plays into their hands -- unless it's with a positional game like Atletico (SImeone is a 'disciple' of Bielsa, a la Guardiola, Pochettino etc, just a lot more pragmatic).