[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 Villarreal

The games against the Spaniards were always going to be the toughest. Best not expect much and a) don't get overly disappointed and b) mildly surprised if we snatch a point or more.

Biggest thing remains that no-one gets injured. Everything else is a bonus in this day and age.

Our defence was rather solid, I would expect to see McAuley from the start, given his vast international experience. Tavernier and Flanagan will IMHO also get starts, so it is up between Goldson, Worrall and Katic, with probablythe first one the pick of the bunch.

Jack is a certain starter and I wonder whether Coulibaly is ahead of Ejaria (I doubt it, but with the Liverpool loanees, you never know). Arfield should complete the midfield, not least for his attack-supporting threat.

Front line will most likely be Candeias, Morelos and Middleton. They carry the most threat and I would assume that we want to hit the Spaniards early on and hard. Thus ... 4-2-1-3 (i.e. a stretched 4-3-3)

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - McAuley - Flanagan

Jack - Coulibaly

Arfield

Candeias - Morelos - Middleton

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

The games against the Spaniards were always going to be the toughest. Best not expect much and a) don't get overly disappointed and b) mildly surprised if we snatch a point or more.

Biggest thing remains that no-one gets injured. Everything else is a bonus in this day and age.

Our defence was rather solid, I would expect to see McAuley from the start, given his vast international experience. Tavernier and Flanagan will IMHO also get starts, so it is up between Goldson, Worrall and Katic, with probablythe first one the pick of the bunch.

Jack is a certain starter and I wonder whether Coulibaly is ahead of Ejaria (I doubt it, but with the Liverpool loanees, you never know). Arfield should complete the midfield, not least for his attack-supporting threat.

Front line will most likely be Candeias, Morelos and Middleton. They carry the most threat and I would assume that we want to hit the Spaniards early on and hard. Thus ... 4-2-1-3 (i.e. a stretched 4-3-3)

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - McAuley - Flanagan

Jack - Coulibaly

Arfield

Candeias - Morelos - Middleton

I think we need Coulibaly and Jack tonight but Gerrard does seem to have a soft spot for Ejaria. 

3 hours ago, MrGaryValentine said:

I think we need Coulibaly and Jack tonight but Gerrard does seem to have a soft spot for Ejaria. 

I would say - gut feeling that is - that the Liverpool loan deal has a "play unless injured or way off form" clause in there. Kent and Ejaria have virtually been ever present when fit ... and at times they IMHO were not formwise validating a starting slot. More often than not though, they did perform admirably in games where I wouldn't have picked them ...

I am looking forward to the game tonight despite the horrific weather. I am however doubtful that we will get anything from the game. We could have been destroyed in the first half in Spain, but rode our luck and were much better second half.

Since then our form domestically hasnt been as solid, especially defensively IMO, and we have now lost the element of surprise from our first meeting. 

A lot of it may depend on how seriously our opponents take this Euro campaign with some indifferent domestic form surely taking precedent for them. 

A half fit Barisic would get the nod for me as I have been having nightmares contemplating a Flanagan return tonight. Its that bad I am hoping it is Halliday at LB!

I would go with;

McGregor

Tav Goldson McAulay Barisic

Coulibaly Jack

Candieas Ejaria Grezda

Morelos

That is a little unfair on Arfield particularly but we need 2 holding midfielders tonight instead of Arfields forward runs. If Arfield & Ejaria are swapped round I would be quite happy as well but I think Ejaria is slightly more creative and accurate with his passing, whereras Arfield's runs in behind are probably not going to be utilised so much in the first hour of the game.

Avoid defeat and we should still be in with a chance come Vienna. I would certainly have taken that at the start of the campaign and I would have said you were mad if you had told me that would be the case back in warmer days when we were drawn against Shkupi and then Osijek, and Maribor!

Lets hope we get a performance like the one in the second half in Spain or the Vienna game at Ibrox and take our chances when they come along while not giving away gifts (are you listening Flano?) when defending.

Lets Go Gers!