The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

38 minutes ago, compo said:

I have been told by a some  Celtic fans that bishop Brendan is working his ticket ,come the first decent job offer he will be away 

Not exactly queuing up for his services are they? He’s not as highly regarded down south as some would have you believe. 

10 hours ago, craig said:

I know this is a little off topic.... but Celtic have made 3 signings as well and, to be quite honest, none of them bother me.

Rangers needed more firepower up front and increased creativity.  Defoe should definitely offer the former and Davis should offer the latter.  We also have secured 2 very decent young players for next season too (good to see us looking to the future).

Whilst across the city they have added two strikers (Bayo and Weah) and a winger (Burke).  With Burke I don't see how they need him - they already have decent wingers.  And with both Bayo & Weah they will be vying to replace the 9 million pound man, Odouard.  Bringing in new guys may have strengthened them squad wise but I am not convinced that they have strengthened their starting XI.  I think their issues are greater in both defence and midfield.  Boyata (CB) is pish, Lustig & Ralston (RB) are pish, and then in midfield they have Ntcham who seems to have downed tools and Brown who is visibly slowing down.

Thus far, and admittedly it is early in the window, we look to have strengthened our starting XI and improved in the areas that we all felt needed strengthening - whereas Celtic don't, to me at least, seem to have strengthened their starting XI or in areas that they really needed the strengthening.

9 days in and the main difference between us and them regards transfer business is that they are continuing down their usual transfer M.O. regards age and profile whilst we are focusing more on the immediate future (as well as building the squad for 19/20).

5 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Not exactly queuing up for his services are they? He’s not as highly regarded down south as some would have you believe. 

A couple of years ago he was supposedly waiting for a Top 4 club, cough !

If there was an exchange rate where you could exchange speculation for Dembele dollars, that was worth 50M.

29 minutes ago, buster. said:

The 3-5-2 option looks good on paper

McGregor

McAuley - Goldson - Worrall

Tav - Davis - Jack - Arfield - Barisic

Defoe - Morelos

I don’t like the formation in general but it certainly fits our squad well now. All 2 up front options need to be looked at because a fully fit Defoe should be starting ahead of Candeias, Coulibaly, McCrorie etc. 

36 minutes ago, buster. said:

McGregor

Defoe - Morelos

would be a bold move to leave Kent out since he has been one of our best players.  I can maybe see a 4-4-2 diamond maybe 

10 minutes ago, Craigy1881 said:

would be a bold move to leave Kent out since he has been one of our best players.  I can maybe see a 4-4-2 diamond maybe 

A fit Kent will get his fair share of gametime and if he's playing well, he'll almost certainly start most games.

Coming out of this window, our bench will certainly be stronger.

McCrorie is a player I'd like to see further develop but just as he was getting back in, his gametime may be limited again. I guess It's up to him to up his game again. 

2 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I don't see Gerrard moving away from his preferred 4-3-3.

It's possible that Defoe will play in front of Candeias as I understand that he played wide in a front 3 for Sunderland.

When up against tight compact defences we have to find ways of breaking them down.

Unless you have a Gazza level of Number 10 (not going to happen), I think playing 2 up top has to figure high up in possible solutions.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

McGregor

Defoe - Morelos

That would be a rather defensive line-up though, with 5 defenders? While Tav and Barisic are good at going forward, I would say that in an attack-motivated line-up, their places will go to Candeias and Kent/Middleton/Grezda. Jack would do the defensive duties in front of the back-3.

It remains to be seen whether SG changes from 4-3-3, yet, systems and tactics should be dynamic anyway and change from game to game some way or another.

I noted that Murphy, Dorrans and Barisic are all training in Teneriffe.