[FT] St Joseph's 0 - 4 Rangers (Jack 49; Ojo 55; Barisic 68; Morelos 76)

25 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Avoided a Europa league upset? That really had to be said? Did it ever look as if that was even a remote possibility? While I didn’t see it I did follow live reports and there was never a hint of an upset on the horizon yet that apparently is what they use as a headline.

Very satisfied with that performance overall. First half was a carbon copy of probably about 20 games last season where we have tons of possession but move it too slowly on a poor bobbly pitch and keep trying to thread a needle where the eye is shut. Not enough movement and all too slow, but it is pre-season and this is what you should expect in preseason in that heat on that pitch so I wasn’t as upset as I will be if we repeat that in October.

Second half was much better as the chasing side ran out of juice and we got our wide players into a bit more space to create good quality chances, and some good finishing for all the goals.

Special mention to Barasic who was excellent throughout the game, apart from a couple of early poor corners. A great free kick and an assist where he got the head up and picked out Jack in space perfectly together with a lot of overlap running for Jones and defensively sound. I hope he keeps that level up as it has been a position of concern for us since Wallace got himself into trouble.

I look forward to seeing some other players get some game time both on the next 2 Sunday’s  and next Thursday before we play the next round match, hopefully against Progres where we have some unfinished business.

2 hours ago, pete said:

I have no idea why we started with 3 defensive midfielders. That is my only critique.

Safely feel our way into it in our first competitive match of the season on a horror of a plastic pitch?