What Filip Helander will bring to Rangers...

as Rino Gattuso provides inside track on 'bargain' transfer.

Steven Gerrard is poised to make the Swedish centre-back his eighth signing of the summer as he closes in on a move from Bologna.

What's a million euros here or there to a guy like Rino Gattuso?

We are talking here, after all, about a man who only a few months ago waived his right to a massive pay-off from AC Milan when he was sacked as manager and instructed the club to share it out amongst his coaching staff instead.

That’s the thing about winning World Cups and Champions Leagues. The rewards which come with these glories don’t half help to provide a different sense of perspective.

But there’s still a bit of the Glaswegian left inside Gattuso – a legacy of his early playing days at Rangers – which mean he also has an eye for a bargain.

And even though he was unsure yesterday as to exactly how much his old club will end up shelling out in order to sign Filip Helander from Bologna – there were reports in Italy yesterday claiming the final bill may rise to around £6m – Gattuso is certain of one thing. That Steven Gerrard has landed himself a bargain.

“I like this player,“ Gattuso growled in his trademark gruff tone as he broke off from a family holiday in Spain to speak to Record Sport about Gerrard’s intended raid on Serie A.

“He has a good Scandinavian mentality and he’s not a bad defender. I heard today from Italy that the price is around 5m euros – and that’s a good price for him.

“Yes, it’s big money for Rangers but he’s a good player at that price when you consider the market at this moment. It’s incredible that some players are costing 50 or 55m euros. For 5m euros Rangers have done good business.”

For what it’s worth, sources at Ibrox remain adamant that Helander’s final fee will be a great deal closer to their original bid of £3.5m.

But, in Gattuso’s book at least, a discussion about the precise numbers involved in Gerrard’s eighth purchase of the summer sales is an exercise in splitting hairs.

The one-time midfield warrior has always focused more on the value a player brings with him onto a pitch.

And in Helander he likes what he sees. The same can’t automatically be said of Bologna manager Sinisa Mihajlovic?

You can almost see Gattuso shrugging his shoulders as he blows out a sigh of heavy contempt on the other end of the line.

Mihajlovic kicked Helander to the kerb midway through last season after answering an S.O.S from Bologna who had slipped into serious relegation contention under Gattuso’s former AC Milan team-mate Filippo Inzaghi.

Enter ex-Inter talisman Mihajlovic at the end of January. That the Serb managed to lead Bologna to the comfort of a 10th-placed finish in Serie A does not appear to have particularly impressed Gattuso.

Nor for that matter the decision to leave Helander sitting on the sidelines for so long.

Gattuso said: “People say he had a difficult last season in Serie A but for the first two or three months he actually played very well.

“He only had some problems in the last few months under the new manager. So five million euros or whatever is a god price for him.

“He’s a good coach. His decision not to play me is to do with football reasons.

“Despite the last few months, I believe I have had a good season. Okay, it wasn’t productive for me at the end of the season because I wasn’t paying, but the team produced some excellent results and I’m a
team player.

“And I think I have become a much better player since I moved to Bologna three years ago.”

All of which demonstrates precisely the sort of battling qualities which are so attractive to a warhorse such as Gattuso.

In fact, as far as the little Italian concerned, it’s impossible to put a price on a positive mental
attitude like that.

He said: “The one thing you can say without any doubt is that Helander will be up for the fight in Scottish football.

“When you play at a club like Rangers you have to always be up for the fight and Helander is at.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/what-filip-helander-bring-rangers-17991907

While Rino's (and Helander's) comments are interesting, the quality of that piece of journalism from the Rhebel is ridiculously poor. Does nobody check these articles before they go live for spelling and grammar? At least 3 errors in that small piece. 

15 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

While Rino's (and Helander's) comments are interesting, the quality of that piece of journalism from the Rhebel is ridiculously poor. Does nobody check these articles before they go live for spelling and grammar? At least 3 errors in that small piece. 

They never bother about getting the facts right, so it's little wonder the spelling and grammar is so poor.

I don't take anything from these articles and prefer to see a player for myself, but in his case I have seen the player and I know we have a bargain.  The last time I saw him was probably October last year and he really stood out for me.  He's obviously a big powerful guy, but I liked the way he was so agressive in winning the ball.  He covered the pitch well and to me looked very quick.  His distribution was good too, although he tried a few longer passes and they went astray.  The main thing about him was that he looked as if he'd win every header and tackle, even when he was not the favourite for the challenge.  That's why he stood out despite the other obvious talent on the pitch.  The team was not playing well and he looked at times like he was a one man defence.  I'm delighted if he joins us.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Football fans will read, and circulate, it regardless.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

A decent spell checker like Grammarly etc will do it all for you. Ffs even spell check on word ? The rhebel just don’t care.