Rangers chiefs lose latest round of court battle with Sports Direct and Mike Ashley over merchandise

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

I cannot understand why the Rangers board (& perhaps the company secretary in particular) did not break all ties with SD

Simple.  We couldn't afford to buy our way out of it completely.

4 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

As recently as yesterday rangers fans were still on Ashley's side. 

You are doing what the hate media do. You have made your sentence look like all Rangers fans were behind Ashely. There were a minimum number of fans possibly behind Ashely. Ashely fell because a huge huge majority of Rangers fans boycotted Rangers products from SD. Rangers fans even produced football kits that the fans could buy and sent the profits to Rangers Who needs enemies when we have friends springs to mind.

4 hours ago, the gunslinger said:

You made it sound like everyone was against him. 

Is that the same as your accusing me of rather wildly? 

I told it as it is. The Rangers support not buying strips beat Ashely. Yes there may be a few who backed  Ashely but they are few and far between. You just seem to want to be negative against Rangers. I will do that When deserved.

It looks to me that we believe if we can get away with the cap (which is in the legal contract so should be followed) then it must be our tactic that we know we are going to lose these cases, and end up having to pay £1M to SD for breach of contract, but we should be making much more than that from Elite, so we are ahead over the piece. Given we got about £250K (did we even get paid from SD?) from the previous deal, this must have been seen as the lesser of all the evils.

20 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

It looks to me that we believe if we can get away with the cap (which is in the legal contract so should be followed) then it must be our tactic that we know we are going to lose these cases, and end up having to pay £1M to SD for breach of contract, but we should be making much more than that from Elite, so we are ahead over the piece. Given we got about £250K (did we even get paid from SD?) from the previous deal, this must have been seen as the lesser of all the evils.

Looks that way yes. 

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Based on what I've read, the 'damages' are limited to £1m, but what SD argued (and I think the judge appeared to accept they may have case for) is that these breaches shouldn't be regarded as damages and therefore are not limited by that clause in the contract.  It wasn't a definitive conclusion which is why Rangers made that point in their statement.  I did however interpret the judge's comments as being more inclined to agree with SD, and therefore it opens to possibility of increased compensation.  However the limits don't really matter in some ways because the burden is still on SD to demonstrate their losses and I can't see how it can amount to much anyway, despite the judge's remark about 'millions'.