Europa League Group Stage: Rangers / Porto / Young Boys / Feyenoord

A very quick summary of Feyenoord:

• Finished 20 points behind PSV and Ajax in 3rd last season
  • 3 draws from 3 league games this season
  • Beat Tiblisi 4-0 at home and drew 1-1 away 
  • Beat Hapoel Beer Sheeva 3-0 home and away to get to groups
  • This season they've sold two players for £9m each and only spent 300k according to Transfermarkt

From that I think they are favourites but we can finish ahead of them

Edited by DMAA

Will all depend how seriously these teams take this "diddy Thursday cup". Some are far more concerned with league positioning and trying to qualify for the Champions League, so often dont field their top side if they have a difficult league match upcoming.

Hated going to Feyenoord back in 2011, their fans were scum, and we were delayed getting to game and missed some of it due to traffic, heavy-handed security checks and herded in like scum, much preferred PSV or even Ajax. Feyenoord beat Hapoel Beer Sheva 6-0 on aggregate to qualify.

One of my favourite trips of all was Porto, made all the better by Ross MCCormack's late equaliser that took us through to the last 16 of the CL. Beautiful city, great fans, wonderful stadium. Porto sit 3rd in the league after 3 games having just won the derby against Benfica 2-0 away.

Might go to Switzerland as I havent been there with Rangers before. Dont know much about Young Boys, but they currently sit top of the league with 13 points from 5 games and beat FC Zurich 4-0 last week. They went straight into group stage.

Quick summary of Porto

• Finished two points behind Benfica last season scoring and conceding far less than them
  • Knocked out of UCL by Krasnador after beating them 1-0 away but losing 3-2 at home
    • Krasnador went on to get hammered 4-0 away and 2-1 at home by Olympiakos
  • Started league campaign by losing 2-1 away against a newly promoted side but have since won all games including 2-0 away win against champions Benfica
  • As you'd expect huge incomings and outgoings
    • Incomings - 100m
    • Outgoings - 70m

Clearly massive underdogs for this one but they also seem to have come down a peg or two

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Why is that, given we have made the group stages twice in a row now?

It counts the last 5 years, and not the current year. I think we would be seeded in all 4 qualifying rounds next season.

As for the draw, similar standard to last season. Porto by far the best, any one from the other 3 could go through. Only difference is I think Porto will take it more seriously, I didn’t think Villarreal fielded their strongest XI in the groups last season. Hopefully Feyenoord away is first if that is the game Gers fans are banned from.

Quick summary of Young Boys

• Thrashed the league last season with 91 points and GD of 63, finishing 20 points ahead of Basel
  • Knocked out of UCL by Red Star after drawing 2-2 at home and 1-1 away
  • 5 games into league season with 4 wins and a draw
  • Sold two players for £10m and spent circa £7m on replacement

A very tough game this one, we're underdogs here but you'd like to think this is a team we might just scrape through ahead of

18 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Ooft that's tough. Young Boys are like Switzerland, always overperform and are far better than anyone expect. Time to do some research.

Didn’t they beat Man U in the CL last year?