[FT] Rangers 2 - 0 Porto (Morelos 69; Davis 73)

10 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

Not long in. What can I say? What’s night, what a game and I LOVE Alfredo Morelos!!!! ? What a player! I feared the worst in the first half tbh but the second was incredible. Arfield made a huge difference when he came on as Barker was anonymous and looked out his depth. Amazing night, just fantastic. WATP! :rfcbouncy:

I want to change my top five favourite players list.  ?

Lots of good summaries guys! :thup:

My tuppence worth:

Porto clearly had done their homework this time and came with a game plan to suffocate our midfield.  Jack and Davis are our key players for starting moves and both were put under pressure much more quickly than in the previous game vs Porto, which really stopped us getting up the pitch and we resorted to lots of long balls from the back. 

There was the usual baffling refereeing decisions - e.g. the yellow card on Barisic but the refusal to book a Porto player a short while later for a much worse challenge.  That said, Barisic had a couple of cheeky nibbles early in the first half where we was caught on the ball, but overall he settled and played well.

Despite controlling the game for the first hour, we still created chances so I was left feeling that there was more to come when we could get Alfy some service - and boy did he deliver.  What at atmosphere when that went in, I actually thought he had let the ball go too far when it happened from my view behind him in the Club Deck.

Then to get the second a few minutes later, I thought that Porto looked like they realised the game was done.

We are coming up against teams that have a lot of quality, so to keep things tight, show resilience not to wilt under pressure and to show our skills at vital moments - these are the hallmarks of a great Rangers team.

Proud bear today ?

2 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I doubt money would sway Gerrard he's worth an estimated £60 million. I think he's simply a footballing fanatic who has to be in the game to be happy with his life. Story going around yesterday that Arsenal are preparing an approach for him which again I suspect he would turn down.

He's started this 'project' repeatedly stated that he's here for a 'very long time' and being on the verge of something special he will want to follow it through. The only thing that would move him anytime soon would be Liverpool and that's not on the cards.

Klopp has indicated that he may step down in 2022 though.

17 minutes ago, stewarty said:

I should say, these are the hallmarks of a "potentially" great Rangers team.   Maybe getting a little carried away there!  :lol:

There are potential achievements this season which if secured would make your potential praise somewhat downbeat :D

I might be in danger of investing a tad too much emotion in the win over Porto because the truth is it was a moderate performance, a great win but it settled nothing. The achievement will be qualifying for the next round, not beating Porto.