[FT] Rangers 2 - 0 Porto (Morelos 69; Davis 73)

27 minutes ago, buster. said:

I think Aribo playing further forward is the type of player who could make a real difference is this type of match and his form seems to have picked-up, in contrast to Arfield.

I'd also favour giving Aribo the European stage to shine and 'add value', opposed to an inconsistent Ojo (although the goal against Feyenoord might hold sway in managers thinking).

Aribo certainly looks better the more forward he plays, more effective than when he is deeper

Just now, ian1964 said:

Aribo certainly looks better the more forward he plays, more effective than when he is deeper

In the deeper role he often looks ponderous and is just happy to get rid of the ball sideways or backwards but he seems to come alive in the final third where he's brave on the ball, looking to make things happen.

It's the latter that will make him into the type of player we currently need on the pitch and the eventual subject of very substantial incoming transfer bids.

Another historical stats angle to contemplate is our Home record in European group stages. It's not very good, although most of it is Champions League groups and the High Level that comes with it.

My numbers are from a one off calculation (ie. inaccuracies possible) but I count a total of  38 Home ties  in 14 group stages (including this season). Two of those group stages only had 2 home fixtures.

Group stages

CL: 10 ............................30 matches / 8 wins

Brugge

Zurich

PSV

Sturm Graz

Stuttgart (x2)

Porto

Bursapor

UEFA/EL: 4.......................8 matches / 5 wins

AK Graz

Maccabi Haifa

Partizan Belgrade

Rapid Vienna

Feyenoord

Combined Total

Won: 13

Drawn: 13

Lost: 12

What we have to do tonight is win a second home match in this group.

We've only done this once before, ironically in a group with only two games at Ibrox during the short PLG stay. 

SG&Co seem to be good at Europe and their record at home is relatively good with 2 wins in 4 group games. Make it 4 from 6 before Xmas and it would be special, as well as putting around 5M into the Ibrox coffers.

Edited by buster.

Is Barker injured?  I suspect his pace up front will be useful.  Ojo has the pace but is not as reliable at defending and I suspect we will have a lot of that to do this evening.  Morelos and Kent need to be on fire tonight formus to have a chance.  And of course our defence (including Jack and Davis) need to be rock solid.  I suspect they will score at least one goal which is why our front three need to put in the biggest performance of the season.

Having Davis and Jack in MF will be immense, IMHO. The back 4 need to keep their act together and up front SG has us guessing as always. I wouldn`t be surprised to see both Kent and Ojo alongside Morelos, as they have pace and want to shoot. It would be interesting to see an attacking MF of Barker - Kent - Ojo as well, with Morelos it would be threat galore.

Tonight is stick or twist for Stevie G.

There will be a compulsion to move the team 20-30 yards up the pitch, crowd Porto, and hope we gain our just rewards. The disadvantage is the width and space available to the opposition behind our back four.

I suspect it will be more of the match we saw in Portugal. We will be narrow and quite deep. If, like over there, we are competing in a tight tactical affair; we will open up a bit in the last twenty minutes.

I hope for a victory, those three points are gold dust; but I think a draw is more likely.

The two teams are evenly matched both having one domestic league defeat  and one draw each one thing that sometimes bothers me is this need to pass the ball from defence and this is my personal opinion we have some bad passers of the ball at the back and in some game we are going to get punished  sometimes your better doing it the old way , when in doubt lump it out but if we get our sleeves rolled up and get stuck in we can take the points on offer ,.:rfc:.

That word passers  somehow doesn't look correct.