The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

Scott Allan remains a decent player but, even if we forget his antics and former club, then I suspect the lad himself would be once bitten, twice shy when it comes to sitting on the fringes of a bigger team. 

Turnbull would be a better option but more costly and unlikely to be properly match fit for a while yet. And he usually plays a bit deeper. 

If we are going to strengthen then let's actually do that. Remove an Ojo and replace him with real quality. 

Agree re oh no Ojo

3 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

With regards to Scott Allan...I read a stat somewhere that he he is 28 years old and has less than 100 starting appearances under his belt. That's insane

I think his opportunity has been and gone.

Doesn't work hard enough to hold a starting place in our team anyway.

I watched the occasional Zamalek game when I lived in Cairo in the early 1980's. They used to play at a small stadium on an island in the Nile but I think they have new stadium elsewhere now. I never attended one but I heard the derby games against Al Ahly were a sight to see. Have we ever had an Egyptian player before?

42 minutes ago, Bill said:

I watched the occasional Zamalek game when I lived in Cairo in the early 1980's. They used to play at a small stadium on an island in the Nile but I think they have new stadium elsewhere now. I never attended one but I heard the derby games against Al Ahly were a sight to see. Have we ever had an Egyptian player before?

Did the Cairo derby not get so bad that they shipped in Kenny Clark back in the day as a neutral ref? I'm sure wee Willie Collum has also officiated recently? It's apparently bonkers 

Not sure if we've had an Egyptian player? 

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

6 hours ago, der Berliner said:

I would assume that Ashley / SD and any Newcastke transfer dealings are a different kettle, even though Ashley finances the club.

Money such as that will essentially leave the decision with the player (or any player, for that matter), as business-wise we probably cannot afford to turn that down. At least in a position where we have cover. I know that some will disagree and say that we might earn much more if we get 55 and/or sell anyone in the summer, but it usually doesn't work that way or is as simple as that. So I would assume that we are braced for bids and have contingency plans ready.

As for Allan ... dunno. We have Stewart who can play such passes and be inventive himself ... if we would use him more regularly. Saying that, I haven't seen much of Allan lately ... and even in games against us.

I honestly don't think we will be forced to sell a player unless Gerrard gives it his ok.  Think about where we are, we have the potential to win a title for the first time in nearly a decade and to stop Celtic winning 9 in a row.  Not only that but if we win the league we have the opportunity to get in to the champions league groups which would pretty much negate any player sale.

I do think any deals with Newcastle potentially may help us in the long run but I'm sure it would be extremely complex.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Have we ever had an Egyptian player before?

Mohamed Latif played for us in 1935/36.  I didn't have to look that up...honest.

Edited by Gonzo79