[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Ojo was brought first because he was one of our better players against Ross County so it made sense to have him as first sub with Hagi and Kamberi still new to the squad and system.

It didn't work because Ojo is too slow on the ball and doesn't use it anywhere near quick enough so was crowded out more often than not.  Hagi came on and played a bit deeper and used the ball quicker so was more effective.

Unfortunately, by that time, and despite us going 3-5-2 (or even more aggressive actually), Aberdeen had sat very deep, there was minimal space and with hardly any player showing any belief or taking responsibility we never really looked like grabbing a winner.

Having Tav back for Wednesday should help, as should a sharper Morelos.  Further, I'd drop Katic and bring in Edmundson who'd be more effective on the ball and could step into midfield where required if Hibs sit as deep as others have.  Aribo, Arfield and Davis should be the midfield with Kent, Hagi and Morelos in attack.  Nothing to lose now!

3 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Having Tav back for Wednesday should help, as should a sharper Morelos.  Further, I'd drop Katic and bring in Edmundson who'd be more effective on the ball and could step into midfield where required if Hibs sit as deep as others have.  Aribo, Arfield and Davis should be the midfield with Kent, Hagi and Morelos in attack.  Nothing to lose now!

I do like the sound of that team.  Goldson really the only ione close to getting passmarks recently.  Kamara definitely needs to sit out a game or two after his last few performances.  Despite his goal I think Kent has been disapointing of late too but unsure of how in favour the replacements could be.  Also hope Stewart is nearing firness to at least make the squad and give us more attacking options with him and Kamberi  on the bench.

I thought it was far too congested for Kent and Aribo to do anything. I thought it was maybe because our Full-backs were too deep -- so Aberdeen's Full-backs could outnumber Aribo and Kent.

After seeing highlights, the Full-backs were fine; they were high and wide.  There was space for Aribo and Kent, but they didn't move enough to find it. Their body positon was poor too; it was always back-to-goal, so the only way to go was back. They should be more side on, so they can move forward. 

The link-up play in general between our front three was poor and static. 

On reflection, I think we were too critical of Defoe. It wasn't his fault, it was more the two behind him. Morelos kind of struggled too, even although he's able to do it himself -- at least he tried to find space by peeling off to the side.

The front three is not clicking. They need to get back to basics and learn some patters of play again. 

It was left to Arfield on occasion. I would actually swap Aribo and Arfield around next match -- if Hagi is not starting.  

27 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Their body positon was poor too; it was always back-to-goal, so the only way to go was back. They should be more side on, so they can move forward.

It does not help that when they do make runs many of them are missed due to sideway passing or alot of back passing especially from Katic and Kamara therefor no momentum.

43 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I thought it was far too congested for Kent and Aribo to do anything. I thought it was maybe because our Full-backs were too deep -- so Aberdeen's Full-backs could outnumber Aribo and Kent.

After seeing highlights, the Full-backs were fine; they were high and wide.  There was space for Aribo and Kent, but they didn't move enough to find it. Their body positon was poor too; it was always back-to-goal, so the only way to go was back. They should be more side on, so they can move forward. 

The link-up play in general between our front three was poor and static. 

On reflection, I think we were too critical of Defoe. It wasn't his fault, it was more the two behind him. Morelos kind of struggled too, even although he's able to do it himself -- at least he tried to find space by peeling off to the side.

The front three is not clicking. They need to get back to basics and learn some patters of play again. 

It was left to Arfield on occasion. I would actually swap Aribo and Arfield around next match -- if Hagi is not starting.  

That is essentially it. Teams have checked our tactics for half a season, saw how Aribo, Kent and Co. operated and now act accordingly. Some better, some not. And Aberdeen usually give us a tough ride, no matter who we play. Thus, Saturday - given our recent form - was very much to be expected.

Barasic and Polster did overlap well enough and Polster in particular showed some neat flashes of skill too. Once we are on the front foot, we usually have 2 CHs at the back and 5 or 6 guys in mdifield, only that in the final third the end product is missing. What bothers me is that we time and again try to pass our way into goal rather than having a shot from distance. Arfield and Kent tried some, but far too often Aribo and Ojo try to outsmart the 3 or 4 guys in front of them and eventually lose the ball or it gets deflected and cleared. This happened all season, mind you, only that Alfredo dug us out time and again.

Obviously, we are all tactical geniuses and know how to do things better ... yet you would hope that either we play people able to shot and do the tricky bit stuff like Stewart instead of the odd defender or DM, or we apply some more pressure by shooting from outsider the area, which would be Kent's, Arfield's, Davis' and Jones job. BTW, when did Tav score his last goal with a rasping shot or free-kick ... much like he did in his 1st season? Wonder what happened to his accuracy.

Haven't listened and read SG's post match comments ... and probably won't do it ... simply to not getting more frustrated.

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

It really is frustrating. 

I always preferred the Advocaat style regarding substitutes...ie. If it isn't working, change it early, if required. 

I've seen enough of Ojo.  He has the heart of a mouse and the (footballing) brain of an ostrich.

He seems incredibly slow of thought.