Coventry and QPR opted not to take a knee

14 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

We're there to support and assist the team playing a football match.  If I wanted to support the BLM movement, I'd have attended their marches.  I support anti-discrimination initiatives by not discriminating.

It's a shame the same can't be said about the songs we've had to bin.

Supporters - do what you're told.

Players - guide us in the ways of the world.

You're veering away from the points I'm trying to make here. Booing before kick-off will have a negative effect on the team and negative consequences for the club. That's because you can't effectively express your counter-argument to taking the knee by booing.

To make a parallel: I fully support the wearing of poppies by players around remembrance day. Whilst you could debate the political nuances of this, anybody who would boo a player for wearing a poppy is wilfully misinterpreting what the display is intended to mean and is an embarassment to their club. Do you disagree with any of that?

4 minutes ago, Thinker said:

Would you express that by booing players for wearing a poppy?

No.

I did ask you previously what alternative course of action the Millwall fans should have taken but you didn't respond (other than a later comment about a banner - which I doubt would make any difference).

Your focus seems to mainly be on the booing but the focus should be on taking the knee and why it provoked such a response (I wouldn't boo it, just to clarify). 

Edited by Gonzo79

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

No.

I did ask you previously what alternative course of action the Millwall fans should have taken but you didn't respond (other than a later comment about a banner - which I doubt would make any difference).

Apologies. I don't read everything you post. I disagree about the banner. It would be a far clearer way to get the point across.

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Your focus seems to mainly be on the booing but the focus should be on taking the knee and why it provoked such a response (I wouldn't boo it, just to clarify). 

I'm glad to hear you wouldn't boo our players. I agree that taking the knee should be cross-examined in a clear and unambiguous way. Certainly no negativity should be directed at the players who cleary have no intention of promoting far-left revolutionary politics.

8 minutes ago, Thinker said:

Certainly no negativity should be directed at the players who cleary have no intention of promoting far-left revolutionary politics

Did you say the same about DiCanio and far-right ideology when he saluted the Lazio fans (he stated at the time it's a Roman salute and not a Nazi salute)?

Edited by Gonzo79

46 minutes ago, Thinker said:

Would you express that by booing players for wearing a poppy?

Good point but no. I argue my way out of that by saying kneeling and delaying the start of the match is intrusive. A poppy image on a shirt is not, though whether it should be is a different argument.

8 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Good point but no. I argue my way out of that by saying kneeling and delaying the start of the match is intrusive. A poppy image on a shirt is not, though whether it should be is a different argument.

True. I suppose you could more easily compare it to a pre-match minute's silence to mark Remembrance Day. That might delay the kick-off, but again isn't something any reasonable person should boo.

I agree with Gonzo. There should be no Silences. 

I don’t believe in booing anything except celtic running out of the tunnel. That luxury has been denied for a good number of years since the practice began of both teams daundering out together.

1 minute ago, Scott7 said:

I don’t believe in booing anything except celtic running out of the tunnel. That luxury has been denied for a good number of years since the practice began of both teams daundering out together.

I think we can all agree with that!