Coventry and QPR opted not to take a knee

I see the QPR player celebrated his goal against Millwall by taking a knee in front of them and raising a fist. I'm delighted he did because that's certainly going to hasten the end of this ridiculous posturing.

Any outfit that defaces war memorials and Churchill's statue bloody well deserves to be boo'ed.

3 hours ago, Thinker said:

You should probably take that argument up with Millwall FC as they released a statement suggesting that the crowd reaction has had an impact (as quoted previously).

What on Earth does this have to do with people being working class? Plenty of working class people have no gripe with those players, and I daresay not everyone booing at The Den was working class. Banners are a very effective way for fans to direct their ire at a specific aspect of something (e.g. support the club, sack the spivs, or support the players, sack the manager). It's far more likely to strike home than booing and jeering.

I agree that wearing a poppy isn't political, and long may it conttinue at the football. But some contemptible folk do try to claim otherwise and project political motives onto it. (Just look East). The argument seems to be that wearing an emblem of support for our war dead somehow implies that non-British casualties are unimportant. Which is nonsense. The same is true of taking the knee. The stated objective of the players doesn't include promoting any particular political ideology. No one is saying "only black lives matter". And it's not a question of these players educating themselves about the meaning of their actions - it's a question of accepting that they've just come to a different conclusion about what their actions mean than you have. It's not worth getting upset about. You should go and give the liberal lefties who actually want to smash the state or dismantle capitlaism a hard time - I'm sure professional athletes who drive to training in cars that cost more than my flat have no time for those fools either. Clearly, the players are running the risk of getting lumped in with the nutters, but you can't adequately convey the distinction by howling at them from a football terrace.

It has everything to do with the working class, and in particular the white working class. Who do you think this virtual signalling is for, the chairman and the board? Millwall FC had to come out with the statement they did as Lewisham council would have had them over the coals and already have plans in progress to build on their ground again. 

Banners are checked before going into a ground and fans would have been prevented from putting anything up that went against the insane group think of BLM, the virtual signalling that accompanies it and the messaging that bodes no dissent. 

Did you hear how the usual radio stations put down anyone who chose to have an alternate view on this? They were bullied and made to look small by smug presenters who for the sake of their jobs, toe the line and push back any unwanted questioning or views. 

Booing may not be productive but i repeat it is often all the fans have. 

Edited by ChelseaBoy
spelling

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

John Barnes was talking about the booing earlier this week and when the journalist said something like there's no way to punish people for booing, he responded something like I wish there was.

It's my way or the highway, seemingly.

Exactly, how dare people have an alternate view and how dare they express it in a totally legal way. Free speech in the UK, don't make me laugh. 

5 hours ago, Scott7 said:

I agree with Gonzo. There should be no Silences. 

I don’t believe in booing anything except celtic running out of the tunnel. That luxury has been denied for a good number of years since the practice began of both teams daundering out together.

Slightly off-topic I know but I didn't see the need for a minute's silence for Maradona. Not that I didn't like the little man (he had a great affinity for the underdog) but he had little to do with British football. 

5 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Again you miss the point - what other means has working class punters got to show their disapproval? Making pithy banners isn't going to cut it. Really? 

Maybe said players should educate themselves on the wider aims of BLM. If they then decide that yes, i do support defunding the police, the end to familial life as we know it, the smashing of capitalism and that all white people are inherently racist - then then can kneel all they want and not worry about booing. 

I'll just say that not all BLM supporters subscribe to that view - and I've referenced it previously.

21 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Booing may not be productive but i repeat it is often all the fans have. 

Fundamentally, I think this is what where I disagree with you. If booing is not productive, I don't see the point in booing.

And when it comes specifically to Rangers, the way our players are performing at the moment, and with what's at stake, the thought of any fan doing anything that has even the remotest possibility of putting them off their game gives me the cold sweats.

11 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

At the very least booing is bad manners; forums like this are ways to express your views.

They are, but tell me the last time the football authorities, MSM or clubs themselves ever take any notice of fans forums? 

5 minutes ago, Thinker said:

Fundamentally, I think this is what where I disagree with you. If booing is not productive, I don't see the point in booing.

And when it comes specifically to Rangers, the way our players are performing at the moment, and with what's at stake, the thought of any fan doing anything that has even the remotest possibility of putting them off their game gives me the cold sweats.

I should clarify, its not productive to the team, but it is productive in getting a dissenting voice noticed. Just look at the shit storm Millwall have faced with all these self appointed experts analysing why they did it and desperately upset that there isn't a legal way to punish these truculent fans.  

I'm not stuck on booing, despite it being effective. I think turning a back while they are taking a knee would be just as effective.