• Filip Helander
    • Borna Barisic
    • Scott Arfield
    • Steven Davis
    • Glen Kamara
    • Ianis Hagi
    • Ryan Kent
    • Alfredo Morelos

Difficult decision because there were a number of players who had an excellent game but I think most credit should go to our back line who remained solid throughout.  I thought Tav and Goldson were the standouts with the latter just edging it.  

Lots of good performances. Our central defence looked solid, particularly Helander, midfield 3 were great, up top I thought Morelos was off it a bit, Kent a little subdued, but Hagi worked really hard and showed some lovely touches. Overall though it has to be Tavenier!

31 minutes ago, onevision said:

Glad that Kamara is running a close second behind Tav. ?

"Close"? :D 

I'm pleased to see him get some plaudits. I feel like I've been on my own in praising his performances. 

Kamara for me. He was outstanding. And when we weren't playing well I felt he was the only one of the three midfielders not making mistakes. He was also making positive forward passes.

Tavernier and Hagi would be next. Hagi was another who didn't make mistakes when we weren't playing well, his vision and passing is a huge asset but some of our fans still get hung up on his lack of pace.

40 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Hagi was another who didn't make mistakes when we weren't playing well, his vision and passing is a huge asset but some of our fans still get hung up on his lack of pace.

For the type of game he plays Hagi doesn’t need pace over the ground. Ian McMillan wouldn’t have won many footraces but his feet were quick in a tight space and so was his brain hence the ability to release the killer pass.

14 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Tav again for me, every player was excellent, although I thought Morelos was poor. Tav's scoring and assist stats are absolutely outstanding since he signed for Rangers, and yet the amount of abuse he receives from Rangers fans is embarrassing

It's almost inevitable that players who remain in the first team for a lengthy period will have individual performances that are at odds with their overall track record. Tavernier is a good example but there are many others. If fans are entitled to express opinions about the contribution a player makes over a season or even a career, surely it's equally valid to comment on how players perform during an individual game. Or should a generally good player should be immune from criticism if he has a few poor games? Should one good game transform a bad signing into a Rangers legend? Are we not intellectually capable of distinguishing someone's overall contribution to the team over a period from how they perform on a game-by-game basis? Is it really embarrassing to regard any player by what we see on the park during a game? Or is it just embarrassing to hold different views? Why would anyone say it is? 

I've said it before, Rangers fans almost always offer an honest collective opinion about players. Play badly and they'll tell you so, play well and you'll receive due praise. Where it goes wrong is when we start denying the truth about individual performances because we're so desperate to defend a player's overall contribution to the club. Tavernier has been a remarkable signing and, if he stays, we will undoubtedly see his name on the hall of fame board. However, let's not start revising history by denying that he's also turned in some stinking displays, when he couldn't get a cross past the first defender and had to concede corner and penalty duties to others. He deserves great credit for seeing it through his tough times and it now looks like he is reaping the rewards.