[FT] Rangers 1 (C. McGregor 70 o.g.) - 0 Celtic

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Do you know if he has had an operation this time? It all seems shrouded in mystery and beginning to look serious. Very little is being said by the club.

I don't think so but, the longer he's absent, the longer it becomes a real issue as, for me, we don't have proper cover for his attributes.  Kamara is clearly the most similar but he's a key player himself nowadays.

Question is now, do we spend a few million on a Jack replacement to help deliver the league or gamble with his fitness going forward.

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

I don't think so but, the longer he's absent, the longer it becomes a real issue as, for me, we don't have proper cover for his attributes.  Kamara is clearly the most similar but he's a key player himself nowadays.

Question is now, do we spend a few million on a Jack replacement to help deliver the league or gamble with his fitness going forward.

Unless there's real belief that Zungu can fill Jack's boots - and there's been little evidence of it so far - then I think cover is essential. Not just to ensure this title but for the longer term development of the squad.

Just now, Bill said:

Unless there's real belief that Zungu can fill Jack's boots - and there's been little evidence of it so far - then I think cover is essential. Not just to ensure this title but for the longer term development of the squad.

As suggested earlier, I think Zungu is Davis' deputy and Kamara is/was Jack's.  We now need another #8 with Arfield also out for the forseeable.

Zungu has some of the attributes required but seems to lack the ability Jack has to be everywhere on the pitch. Jack is also particularly disciplined defensively. Not an easy player to replace, if it comes to that. 

26 minutes ago, Bill said:

Just what is the situation with Ryan Jack? This would be a really good time for him to reappear.

According to some reports he's back doing some  light training 

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

I didn't think our tactics had anything to do with our first half performance. It was just very poor play from most of our team. 

I also didn't see much of a tactical shift in the second half. We just played better and their level of intensity dropped. 

There was a definite increase in tempo, or willingness to compete in that second half, I agree. 

However, there was also a definite shift in tactics. 

We couldn't get near them in the first half, and they were pretty much camped out on our 18 yard line. We stood off them, a la Europe, in a 4-3-3 but they outnumbered us so we couldn't maintain a compact block. 

Second half it was more of a 4-4-2 (Kent up front, Hagi in the 4, but it wasn't fixed) in defence, so we could maintain a more compact block, because we had the numbers to match them. They had fewer forays forward as a result. 

With Kent playing almost up front alongside Morelos, we had more of a presence with which to 'attack' and counter -- although, admittedly, we didn't do much. 

I would certainly agree they eased off in their tempo, maybe being unable to maintain it? 

Obviously the red card changes it too. 

But, that's what I saw. There was a definite tactical shift, for me, but I don't disagree with your comments about our poor play and tempo initially, and their drop in intensity.

Jack is a very important player: in the past he would have been called a 'player's player'.

However, rushing him back could be counter productive, both for the player's long term recovery and fitness, and for our, ahem, title charge. 

Edited by Uilleam

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Spot on. Tactics mean nothing if the players don’t turn up, make mistakes, don’t pass well, dont move well, don’t close down and sit off their opponents. There was no obvious change of tactics at HT just one sub for an injury and more of our players doing their jobs properly, combining with their errors and drop in intensity. 

I disagree that there wasn't any tactical shift (which I've outlined above), but I agree it counts for nothing if the players don't turn up. 

It could be the best tactics in the world, but if players "don’t turn up, make mistakes, don’t pass well, don't move well" etc then it counts for nothing. 

And, I agree we were better in that second half in general.