European Super League | All six PL teams withdraw from ESL

3 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Not forgetting the Welsh clubs operating in the English league pyramid. Personally i would love to see Rangers play in the EFL/PL at whatever level they start leaving Sellick to be the biggish fish in a tiny pond. I don't want the EFL to invite them and would hope they would refuse based on their hostility to all things British. 

Unfortunately, those clubs are second level appeal in terms of audiences for BT Sport. A Fenerbache v Anderlect would not cover the cost of televising it. 

Not forgetting that many second level EPL clubs are significantly indebted and would struggle in the event money stops being filtered down in current volumes. Which is what will happen if this Super Leagues goes ahead.

2 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Not forgetting the Welsh clubs operating in the English league pyramid. Personally i would love to see Rangers play in the EFL/PL at whatever level they start leaving Sellick to be the biggish fish in a tiny pond. I don't want the EFL to invite them and would hope they would refuse based on their hostility to all things British. 

Unfortunately, those clubs are second level appeal in terms of audiences for BT Sport. A Fenerbache v Anderlect would not cover the cost of televising it. 

I think we all want to see us competing at a more suitable level and the UK league makes much more sense for a number of reasons. Disagree about Sellik though; like or not, they have a huge fan base in England and the OF would be an even bigger attraction. Your reference to Welsh clubs emphasises that a British league could be feasible whether or not Scotland remains in or out of the UK. Fenerbache v Anderlecht may not seem attractive but my point is that there are huge clubs all over Europe just like us in terms of fanbase.

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Not forgetting that many second level EPL clubs are significantly indebted and would struggle in the event money stops being filtered down in current volumes. Which is what will happen if this Super Leagues goes ahead.

How about if there was funding from a new Sky/BT deal? Because I don't think they would fund the ESL streaming if their moral outrage is to be believed. Though Amazon would bite their hands off. A restructuring,maybe with German style fan half-ownership could also be way forward.

To be brutally honest, the only thing that interests me about this Super League proposal is the effect it has on Rangers and at the moment we're so dependent on UEFA money that the consequences of severely devalued UEFA competitions could significantly constrain our development. But it wouldn't kill us off.

5 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

How about if there was funding from a new Sky/BT deal? Because I don't think they would fund the ESL streaming if their moral outrage is to be believed. Though Amazon would bite their hands off. A restructuring,maybe with German style fan half-ownership could also be way forward.

I think you'll find moral outrage being replaced by financial reality in the very near future. It's inconceivable the Super League hasn't factored in how to bring the large broadcasters and sponsors on board.

26 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

I think we all want to see us competing at a more suitable level and the UK league makes much more sense for a number of reasons. Disagree about Sellik though; like or not, they have a huge fan base in England and the OF would be an even bigger attraction. Your reference to Welsh clubs emphasises that a British league could be feasible whether or not Scotland remains in or out of the UK. Fenerbache v Anderlecht may not seem attractive but my point is that there are huge clubs all over Europe just like us in terms of fanbase.

Agreed, but fan base alone does not attract the sponsors. TV companies would pay half the rate now for access to the PL without those 6 in the competition. You can see by the fact that JP Morgan has put up £3.5bn and they are the first and probably not the last investor.  I would hate to see this come off and think if players, managers and supporters unite they together with legislation could halt this move. 

Disagreed - Never want to see Sellik in the PL, and surely it would go against their Independence support for both Scotland and certainly Ireland !!!

28 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Possibly Sky/BT would not bid, but would expect the domestic rights to be much cheaper than current rates if thoe 6 were barred in any form, the upshot is less money from TV and sponsors. You only have to look at the shirt / club sponsors to the top 6 in the PL. They are all corporate giants, whereas others in the PL have online betting and other much smaller deals. The sponsors will go where the audiance is.   

1 minute ago, Franc Ergs said:

Chelsea's turn to demonstrate tonight, unfortunately there's a distinct lack of 'Abramovich Out !' banners , to be seen.

Dont think there is that level of animosity compared with say the Glaziers or Fenway as Abramovich didnt levy the club with debt. There will be protests however as the Chelsea Independant Supporters Club is demonstrating as is two other groups.

Interestingly, the supporters own the Chelsea pitch (not the stadium) and as such could take legal action against any activity that takes away domestic football from that site. The club tried to buy those shares a few years back offering £1k per share on a £100 float price. 

On 19/04/2021 at 09:11, Rousseau said:

The plans are that all these teams still play in their domestic leagues, but they'd be out of European competitions - and they'll not be let back in easily!

It's only the 'founding members' that are spared relegation.  

Which in itself is absolutely ridiculous... So a 20 team league whereby Arsenal, Spurs and, say, Man Utd finish in the bottom 3... they can't be relegated - so does that mean the teams in 15th, 16th and 17th get relegated instead ?  What an embarrassing proposal.