European Super League | All six PL teams withdraw from ESL

The tone seems to be quite conciliatory, at least from UEFA, which is astonishing. If these clubs are damaging the game so much, you punish them.

For me, it's greed in itself, because they know these clubs bring in the majority of the money. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Yes, that's my point: the new ESL is just more of the same, with the same clubs winning all the time. 

I think audiences -- like they are with the CL now, as you say -- won't follow the new ESL, they will prefer to watch what is left (a CL without the elite clubs).  

I don't know about where the money will go, but surely if audiences prefer product A ('diminished'* CL) over product B (ESL), then it'll go to product A?

* I don't know why I deep saying 'diminished': it's better without the elite clubs, IMO.

The current proposal is a direct challenge to UEFA's ability to control the game in Europe. It wouldn't surprise me if the next challenge is to the domestic FA's and the creation of a tiered system of European leagues, ending the entire concept of national football leagues at the top level. You have to ask yourself - if this is what they're talking about in public, what is being discussed in private.

Edited by Bill

I see the. term 'Sporting Integrity' being used a lot in relation to the new Super league.

Yes, well as Rangers supporters ,we all know that the true meaning of it bears no relation to it's actual meaning.

Quite funny seeing statements from English clubs, all adopting some sort of moral high ground ,when they are as much a part of the problem as anything.

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

England will always have a viable domestic league. I wonder if the fourteen would accept a replacement giant from what may soon be a foreign country.

Well actually, although Eufa have always been against cross-border leagues, I believe they have just given the go-ahead to the Benelux countries to merge. Add to that the fact that they allowed Derry City to join the L. of Ireland, then they have precedents already set. So - chink of light for Rangers; this time I'm sure we'd be welcomed with open arms by supporters in England. And - looking to Europe - there's Benfica, Ajax, Feyenoord, Fenerbache, Anderlecht, all massive clubs excluded from the exhibition league.

Edited by alexscottislegend

2 hours ago, Bill said:

The current proposal is a direct challenge to UEFA's ability to control the game in Europe. It wouldn't surprise me if the next challenge is to the domestic FA's and the creation of a tiered system of European leagues, ending the entire concept of national football leagues at the top level. You have to ask yourself - if this is what they're talking about in public, what is being discussed in private.

Might not be a bad thing. At least it would be truly competitive and with a live audience, instead of millions of armchair Asians streaming their lives away.

• Rousseau changed the title to European Super League | PL 14 clubs reject ESL plans
  • Rousseau changed the title to European Super League | PL 14 clubs reject ESL proposals
37 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Might not be a bad thing. At least it would be truly competitive and with a live audience, instead of millions of armchair Asians streaming their lives away.

I think "tiered" is the wrong word. Think of it like 1st, 2nd and 3rd class rail travel - everyone is on the same journey but all enjoying a very different experience and there are no upgrades.

42 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

Well actually, although Eufa have always been against cross-border leagues, I believe they have just given the go-ahead to the Benelux countries to merge. Add to that the fact that they allowed Derry City to join the L. of Ireland, then they have precedents already set. So - chink of light for Rangers; this time I'm sure we'd be welcomed with open arms by supporters in England. And - looking to Europe - there's Benfica, Ajax, Feyenoord, Fenerbache, Anderlecht, all massive clubs excluded from the exhibition league.

Not forgetting the Welsh clubs operating in the English league pyramid. Personally i would love to see Rangers play in the EFL/PL at whatever level they start leaving Sellick to be the biggish fish in a tiny pond. I don't want the EFL to invite them and would hope they would refuse based on their hostility to all things British. 

Unfortunately, those clubs are second level appeal in terms of audiences for BT Sport. A Fenerbache v Anderlect would not cover the cost of televising it.