53 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yes I agree. This is at the heart of everything. Too many of last season’s squad have sunk deep into their comfort zone and decided to stay there. GvB will know this - he’s been through it himself and knows what’s missing. The question is whether he can find a way to re-energise the players. I just don’t see him shouting and intimidating but I do think he will simply drop certain players, explain why and leave it to them to decide if they want a future here. I suspect we might have seen the last of at least one first team regular.

I don't know what he's like with the squad off-camera, but I agree he seems to be more calm than crazy and will let rationale and action deliver the message. The three HT substitutions should be an indicator of that, but I just don't know if that alone will suffice. Getting every ounce of determination from players is easier said than done, and it also depends on whether, collectively, they buy into him and his team's strategy. It was interesting to hear Gio post match saying that it was down to the players not flying out the traps vs him telling them to soak it up and counter, which many believe was his tactic. 

59 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Now posted...

BTW, I'm sure we hit the post as well as the bar in the 2nd half (Sakala I think from a cross-cum-shot) but can't remember the strange Sky coverage replaying it.

Did this happen or was my beer too strong? :D

Don't recall that happening, possibly beer in your case mate and maybe my tea was too strong.

9 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

I don't know what he's like with the squad off-camera, but I agree he seems to be more calm than crazy and will let rationale and action deliver the message. The three HT substitutions should be an indicator of that, but I just don't know if that alone will suffice. Getting every ounce of determination from players is easier said than done, and it also depends on whether, collectively, they buy into him and his team's strategy. It was interesting to hear Gio post match saying that it was down to the players not flying out the traps vs him telling them to soak it up and counter, which many believe was his tactic. 

I believe GvB will know what to do. Otherwise he would have had to go through life with his eyes permanently closed. However, even if all the issues are within his gift to resolve, I do wonder if the current malaise can be repaired overnight, or even this season. As many others have already stated here, these issues have been with us in one form or another since the start of the season. Gerrard and his much-vaunted backroom staff were also unable to motivate the same players they had led to the title only a few months previously.

I think your use of the word "collectively" is astute and raises the question of why an entire squad that had such success less than a year ago could be as dysfunctional as we saw on Wednesday? I've often wondered why Connor Goldson, the rock in our title winning defence, has been so reluctant either to sign a new contract or simply make it plain he intends not to ... and why the same player was the only one to vent his spleen after the Hibs cup debacle ... is he hinting at what's behind the collective lack of desire we saw so clearly against Celtic. Is there low-level conflict in the camp between those who with hunger for more success and those who think they've already achieved hero status?

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

I believe GvB will know what to do. Otherwise he would have had to go through life with his eyes permanently closed. However, even if all the issues are within his gift to resolve, I do wonder if the current malaise can be repaired overnight, or even this season. As many others have already stated here, these issues have been with us in one form or another since the start of the season. Gerrard and his much-vaunted backroom staff were also unable to motivate the same players they had led to the title only a few months previously.

I think your use of the word "collectively" is astute and raises the question of why an entire squad that had such success less than a year ago could be as dysfunctional as we saw on Wednesday? I've often wondered why Connor Goldson, the rock in our title winning defence, has been so reluctant either to sign a new contract or simply make it plain he intends not to ... and why the same player was the only one to vent his spleen after the Hibs cup debacle ... is he hinting at what's behind the collective lack of desire we saw so clearly against Celtic. Is there low-level conflict in the camp between those who with hunger for more success and those who think they've already achieved hero status?

Could be indeed! But, something we have not discussed on here (I don't think) and may not be supported by many, is the notion that Celtic lost the title last season because they were even more is disarray that we are now. 25points margin could suggest otherwise, but I don't know. Do we have a squad with the right mentality AND capability to deliver the tactical instructions given to them? Gerrard indirectly may have hinted at this when complaining about spending nothing in his last 2 windows and then jumps ship so not to tarnish his reputation when the first decent job comes along. 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Celtic's rotations out wide completely stumped us. The use of inverted fullbacks was just like Pep. Tactically, we couldn't work it out. 

By the way, I would like to see Gerrard’s diamond against them. CCV started almost all their attacks with incisive passes to Juranovic or Abada. If we had two strikers we could cut that out at source. It would present other challenges but it might have worked better than the wide 4-3-3 anyway which was absolutely disastrous with one pass repeatedly getting them into a promising position on the right and Kent in no man’s land. 

16 minutes ago, DMAA said:

By the way, I would like to see Gerrard’s diamond against them. CCV started almost all their attacks with incisive passes to Juranovic or Abada. If we had two strikers we could cut that out at source. It would present other challenges but it might have worked better than the wide 4-3-3 anyway which was absolutely disastrous with one pass repeatedly getting them into a promising position on the right and Kent in no man’s land. 

Yes. 

Even a narrow 4-3-3, zonal defense would have been better: let them buzz about; we'll control the space. 

But, nope...

10 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Manager claims he didn't make any tactical changes during half time. Just personnel changes and that changed the second half.

I'm not a football tactics expert, just a fan but i find that rather alarming given how the shape of the team looked(or didn't look like any shape)

Seems to me that's what this whole debate has been about. Some say the personnel were OK but the tactics were wrong. Others that it wouldn't have mattered what tactics were employed because the players had their heads up their arses. Both might be right but it's unlikely both are wrong.