[FT] St Johnstone 0 - 1 Rangers (Kamara 3)

Well that was dismal. The only thing positive about that was the 3 points. No subs? Is GVB seriously now saying we have only 11/12 players and the rest he can’t trust? 

When games are coming thick and fast you simply must use your bench. We have a massive squad of highly paid players, can bench 9 and play 5 each game, and in last week we have used 10% of sub opportunities. We won’t win the title with players dead on their feet. 

14 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Well that was dismal. The only thing positive about that was the 3 points. No subs? Is GVB seriously now saying we have only 11/12 players and the rest he can’t trust? 

When games are coming thick and fast you simply must use your bench. We have a massive squad of highly paid players, can bench 9 and play 5 each game, and in last week we have used 10% of sub opportunities. We won’t win the title with players dead on their feet. 

Kris Boyd made the point after the game that the manager doesn’t have great confidence in his squad. I’d tend to agree with him. 

9 hours ago, Bill said:

I hope I'm wrong but I'm beginning to feel an old familiar foreboding about a manager who insists on repeating the same mistakes and shows no inclination to change, as if dogged intransigence will eventually fix everything.

It's a rare event when Aberdeen come to Ibrox and win but at this rate they just could.

It would be very Rangers if we allowed an Aberdeen side this poor to stop us from

winning the league. As things stand, that’s where we are with 4 points dropped against them. 

8 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Kris Boyd made the point after the game that the manager doesn’t have great confidence in his squad. I’d tend to agree with him. 

So he feels he can't trust Steven Davis (I know he's out just now, but he's hardly played under Gio has he)? He continues to play Alan McGregor regardless of what individual errors he makes which cost us goals, points or add to the nervousness in the back line?

He's playing Arfield who seems dead on his feet, but could he not have played Lowry last night given we had Kamara starting?

Gio made a great tactical switch against Dortmund, reacting to what he saw in front of him, but at times in the league he seems to be out of ideas or just happy to hold on if we're winning by even a goal.

I'm really starting to doubt he's the man for the job, but its difficult to judge him given he's not had a pre-season and summer transfer window. Not to mention the fact that we're still seeing some of the same recurring issues, from the same player, that Gerrard also had to deal with. My worry is that if he's not going to be able to resolve these issues, that we go in to next season and its the same all over again.

3 points but a turgid uninspiring performance. Looked shaky at the back, created a few good chances we didn't take and the midfield never got a grip of the game. Its like we have regressed to the team that dropped points at Pittodrie in January, it was that type of performance.

Only saving grace for us tonight was that St Johnstone are abysmal. Players looked tired after the first half and no subs. Why. We have now run the 11 who will start against the sheep on Saturday into the ground. They will come at us with everything as its their last game of the season effectively. Out of the cups and in the bottom 6 and wont play us again.

Our manager is starting to look as bemused and disconnected as our board. We have 3 of our best players down to 1 year left on contracts in the summer and the likes of Goldson will leave on a free, Davis & McGregor will retire. This is really turning into a complete shambles in every area possible.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

I think we're being a bit overly negative here.

Not a great performance by any means but getting three points is the main objective.  We played much better at Tannadice and against M'well but dropped points in those matches.

The defence still looks shaky and we're not nearly clinical enough - both these aspects need improvement.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think we're being a bit overly negative here.

Not a great performance by any means but getting three points is the main objective.  We played much better at Tannadice and against M'well but dropped points in those matches.

The defence still looks shaky and we're not nearly clinical enough - both these aspects need improvement.

I think context is key here. If we had won last night in between the 5-0 v Hearts and 2-0 v Hibs I'm sure we'd all take it as a clinical 3 points, it was a champions performance, ground out win etc and move on. But given our recent form its just a continuation of a very worrying trend. 

I don't have a problem with Goldson leaving on a free - we've more than had our money's worth out of him and I firmly believe we shouldn't be breaking our wage structure as that's a very slippery slope.

McGregor retiring? We have McLaughlin who can just step in with no bedding-in time and are clearly trying to sign another keeper.

This summer is the same as the last few windows for me. We need to sign 2/3 real quality players who will improve the first XI.

6 minutes ago, ascender said:

I don't have a problem with Goldson leaving on a free - we've more than had our money's worth out of him and I firmly believe we shouldn't be breaking our wage structure as that's a very slippery slope.

McGregor retiring? We have McLaughlin who can just step in with no bedding-in time and are clearly trying to sign another keeper.

This summer is the same as the last few windows for me. We need to sign 2/3 real quality players who will improve the first XI.

Agree RE: Goldson a good signing for the money an owes us nothing. But he will be difficult to replace IMO. The McLaughlin thing has me worried. If he is good enough get him in the team now. Why wait until McGregor retires. An i am not convinced he is good enough to be our #1 FWIW. We also face losing Aribo, Kent and Morelos and wont get top dollar due to contracts running down. We brought in 12 million for Patterson and 4 million for Gerrard and spent next to nothing in January. Not sure we are in a position to being in 2/3 real quality players. Considering we will lose at least 4 i suggest we need more.