State Of The Squad

On 17/07/2022 at 12:44, Devil's advocaat said:

I still think we should have kept Balogun, but you never know, maybe he wanted more games than we were offering.

He spent much of last season injured and couldn't play more than 1 game a week when he was fit. It was time to cut the net.

Agree with @Rousseau a LB to challenge Borna for the spot is a must. A young chap with potential would be worth the risk here like the Isreali boy Leidner. 

39 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think we still need a LB.

Preferrably a first choice one. BB has started pre season quite well but you never know what one you are going to get.... its either the shitebag BB at Parkhead or the fighting with the fans and right up for it against some pyro chuckers at Ibrox :D 

• Rousseau changed the title to State Of The Squad | Final Thoughts On The Transfer Window?

I had a bit of a whinge at the slow start, but once it kicked into gear, it has been a mightily impressive window.

The two sales were really pleasing. For me, we have to make these sales every year or two. 

The in-comings have hit the mark: Short at CB - signed! Short at RW - signed! Short up front - signed! Short at LB - signed!  

While Colak and Lawrence don't excite me, they fill a void. Matondo, Tillman and Yilmaz do excite me: young, skilful, attacking players that can be sold on for good money. 

There are still a couple that can be let go. 

(LW) Kent / Sakala / Middleton -  (ST) Morelos / Roofe / Colak - (RW) Wright / Matondo

(#10) Hagi / Lowry / Lawrence / Tillman

(CM) Davis / Kamara / Lundstram / Jack / Arfield / McCann

(LB) Barisic / Yilmaz - (LCB) Sands / Davies / Helander / King - (RCB) Goldson / Souttar / Katic - (RB) Tavernier / Zukowski / Devine

(GK) McLaughlin / McGregor / McCrorie

I was surprised and concerned with Davis getting a new deal. However, I've come to think it's a smart move. 

If we're going to use a double-pivot - as it looks like we will - having Davis as back-up makes sense. I think Lundstram and Kamara will be first choice, with Jack coming in when fit. We then have Davis for cover alongside McCann.   

I still think renewing Arfield and McGregor was a mistake. The latter just causes a headache between the sticks. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I still think renewing Arfield and McGregor was a mistake.

Given we were reportedly in for Sam Johnstone and McGregor renewed a couple of days after he signed for Palace i'm assuming we were waiting to see how that one worked out.

26 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Now that we're approaching our first league game, and with transfers presumably at an end, what do we all think of the business done?

Its been a very good window so far, would like to see some moved on. I don't expect any of our core squad to move on. Perhaps a bid may come in for Kamara but i dont see it. Could maybe do with some cover for Roofe but think we are trying to move him on first. If we get 1 out of Kent/Morelos signed after getting Goldson tied up then I dont think anyone can complain.

37 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I had a bit of a whinge at the slow start, but once it kicked into gear, it has been a mightily impressive window.

The two sales were really pleasing. For me, we have to make these sales every year or two. 

The in-comings have hit the mark: Short at CB - signed! Short at RW - signed! Short up front - signed! Short at LB - signed!  

While Colak and Lawrence don't excite me, they fill a void. Matondo, Tillman and Yilmaz do excite me: young, skilful, attacking players that can be sold on for good money. 

There are still a couple that can be let go. 

(LW) Kent / Sakala / Middleton -  (ST) Morelos / Roofe / Colak - (RW) Wright / Matondo

(#10) Hagi / Lowry / Lawrence / Tillman

(CM) Davis / Kamara / Lundstram / Jack / Arfield / McCann

(LB) Barisic / Yilmaz - (LCB) Sands / Davies / Helander / King - (RCB) Goldson / Souttar / Katic - (RB) Tavernier / Zukowski / Devine

(GK) McLaughlin / McGregor / McCrorie

Very useful post especially when I'm doing mammoth catch up.

I'd say we need to trim that down. Pre injury Katic and Helander were two defenders I really rated but perhaps its time for them to move on. Pity though as pre injury that would have been a solid partnership.

Barisic seems to have had one bad OF game then become almost an enemy, which has probabl affected his confidence. On his game Id have him at LB straight away and he has a terrific delivery. 

In midfield I was baffled by the Arfield contract extension.

In the 10 role - that is a tasty looking list.

Upfront Middleton and Roofe can move on. I like the Colak signing, he was deadly for Malmo.

All in all - Gio is obviously getting HIS squad in place and rightly so.