State Of The Squad

28 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

I don't think we are done yet by a long shot. 

If McCrorie leaves or goes out on loan we’ll need at least one keeper.

And looks to me we’d let Roofe and Sakala both go if we got acceptable offers so they’d need replaced 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Now that we're approaching our first league game, and with transfers presumably at an end, what do we all think of the business done?

We'll find out in the coming months.

The problem was always going to be having things done and new players up to speed for the CL qualifiers. A next to impossible ask if you don't get the right offers for your own players at the very start of the window.

Fingers crossed rather than confident.

12 minutes ago, Uilleam said:

No thanks for the memories. 

You inspired them with your negative waves, man !😄

Considered Prodan/Steaua but that was a bad memory (late winner) combined with a lack of memory (Prodan game time in blue)....Count yourself lucky.

Edited by buster.

6 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I had a bit of a whinge at the slow start, but once it kicked into gear, it has been a mightily impressive window.

The two sales were really pleasing. For me, we have to make these sales every year or two. 

The in-comings have hit the mark: Short at CB - signed! Short at RW - signed! Short up front - signed! Short at LB - signed!  

While Colak and Lawrence don't excite me, they fill a void. Matondo, Tillman and Yilmaz do excite me: young, skilful, attacking players that can be sold on for good money. 

There are still a couple that can be let go. 

(LW) Kent / Sakala / Middleton -  (ST) Morelos / Roofe / Colak - (RW) Wright / Matondo

(#10) Hagi / Lowry / Lawrence / Tillman

(CM) Davis / Kamara / Lundstram / Jack / Arfield / McCann

(LB) Barisic / Yilmaz - (LCB) Sands / Davies / Helander / King - (RCB) Goldson / Souttar / Katic - (RB) Tavernier / Zukowski / Devine

(GK) McLaughlin / McGregor / McCrorie

I might as well go through the positions. 

GK - I’m happy to give McLaughlin a go as number 1, but I’ll be concerned if MacGregor is still seen as number 1. Despite what some still say, he costs us points. If MacGregor has been renewed on a fairly low wage as a number 2 then I’d be content with that. 

LB - Yilmaz is the exactly the kind of signing we've been crying out for, very high potential. He looks a technically capable player who could be an asset at building attacks and getting plenty assists. I'd urge a wee bit of caution in terms of expectations and patience, he won't be amazing defensively and I wouldn't be surprised if teams target long balls on him. And he hasn't actually played a huge amount of senior football yet. The transfer fee shouldn’t be used against him.

RB - Sorted

CB - I think we are improved here with the signings of Souttar and Davies. Bassey is a loss but he was never a natural and had weaknesses. I think the main question mark now is what we are doing with Katic, Helander and King. I expect we will move on Katic and be back to 5 centre backs, with two of those being injury prone. Sands can cover here too so it is a strong position, although lacking in terms of aggression and pure defensive ability, Helander is ahead by quite a bit in that regard for me. 

CM - I think we are strong here with Kamara, Lundstram and Jack. I was probably hoping we would recruit another quality player due to Jack’s unreliability, and let Davis and Arfield move on. I do think both are declining and are often not at the level we need, but as backups you can't really complain.

AM - Tillman is a very exciting signing and I think he could do really well this season. Probably the one I am most excited about at the moment. Lowry has a big chance this season too and I hope he takes it. Between those two you have a lot of creativity. The fact Lawrence can play here too, and Hagi, means we finally have a number of options for creativity in the middle. 

LW - I was hoping we’d get money for Kent in this window tbh and replace him but as most know I’m really not his biggest fan. Capable of great performances and moments but not good enough week in week out in the league for me. With the signings of Lawrence and Matondo though he finally has a bit of competition and that is a good thing. 

RW - Excited by the Matondo signing. Can GVB find a way to make him our Sterling? Certainly an improvement. In terms of overall quality on the wings I still feel we generally lack a bit of quality/end product with still a bit of reliance on Kent, Wright and Sakala, but I am hopeful Lawrence and Matondo will make a big difference, and Tillman in the middle will create more for all. 

ST - As with Kent, I hoped this would finally be the window we’d get decent money for Morelos that we could reinvest, though again most know I’m not his biggest fan. Although I wasn't excited by the Colak signing, I do believe he could have a really good season in terms of goals, and provide real competition for Morelos. Roofe is a great player but depressingly unreliable and Sakala can also play at CF so we are fairly well covered, although reliant on an unreliable player for depth. 

In summary I think it's been a good window and we have finally added some more creative players and that could make the difference domestically. This is a team who are capable of winning the league back, and I do realise I am being a bit greedy with some of my comments in terms of wanting a bit more. I’m still hopeful we might have one big big sale and one more big purchase, though it doesn't look likely. Trimming of the squad is required too of course. 

Edited by DMAA

The Good

Ridvan--Serious first team experience for a top notch side--Will prove to be a tough, driven, quality little contributor. 

Lawrence--experience...leadership experience...nice final touch--will earn for the club

Colak--Experience--great movement--will contribute huge.

The Meh

Matondo--good movement, fast, agile...speed breaks though. SPL is loaded with plenty of trogs to bump, thump, and slow...this wears on a player.

I don't know how tough this kid is. Speed guys don't tend to be. We shall see.

Tillman--unproven--but looks promising--makes sense.

The Negative--Our defense

GK--This is gonna be huge. Should not have signed McGregor again. The second McLaughlin makes a mistake the fan base are gonna be up in arms to get him out of goal.

Cake and eat it too...usually doesn't end well. I hope one of em can get in a groove and get us through the season.

Balogun-- He want 100k a week or something? Boneheaded call to release that guy. 

Hope it doesn't bite us.

Souttar--Not a huge fan of the signing--injury prone-- I think he will do a job against the Ross Countys, and Livis of the world...but--Euro level squads will eat his lunch--if he doesn't throw a rod before then.

Davies--Too much for average...he is gonna get turned...pushed...and punked all season long.

"Does he ever win a header?" Bet.

To be frank...we are one Goldson injury away from getting banged right up the center.

34 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

The Good

Ridvan--Serious first team experience for a top notch side--Will prove to be a tough, driven, quality little contributor. 

Lawrence--experience...leadership experience...nice final touch--will earn for the club

Colak--Experience--great movement--will contribute huge.

The Meh

Matondo--good movement, fast, agile...speed breaks though. SPL is loaded with plenty of trogs to bump, thump, and slow...this wears on a player.

I don't know how tough this kid is. Speed guys don't tend to be. We shall see.

Tillman--unproven--but looks promising--makes sense.

The Negative--Our defense

GK--This is gonna be huge. Should not have signed McGregor again. The second McLaughlin makes a mistake the fan base are gonna be up in arms to get him out of goal.

Cake and eat it too...usually doesn't end well. I hope one of em can get in a groove and get us through the season.

Balogun-- He want 100k a week or something? Boneheaded call to release that guy. 

Hope it doesn't bite us.

Souttar--Not a huge fan of the signing--injury prone-- I think he will do a job against the Ross Countys, and Livis of the world...but--Euro level squads will eat his lunch--if he doesn't throw a rod before then.

Davies--Too much for average...he is gonna get turned...pushed...and punked all season long.

"Does he ever win a header?" Bet.

To be frank...we are one Goldson injury away from getting banged right up the center.

The one I think you get wrong is Davies, who I think could prove to be the best of the lot.

10 hours ago, Bill said:

The one I think you get wrong is Davies, who I think could prove to be the best of the lot.

I hope you are right Bill. 

I am sure you know more about the topic than me, but I got a hunch.