State Of The Squad

15 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Does that not require a team of players of a calibre better than Rangers can afford?

No, I don't think so.

The opposite, in fact; it doesn't require top-class players. That's why many smaller sides punch above their weight. Bielsa took a Leeds team full of average Championship players into the PL top-10 (maybe just outside in the end - I can't recall); and Hasenhuttl took Leipzig from the 2.Bundesliga to 2nd in the Bundesliga playing that way; even Klopp transforms an average Liverpool side playing that way, even before they made the signings to win the league. You could argue Pochettino had Tottenham pushing above their weight implementing it. Gasperini's Atalanta are definitely punching above their weight in Serie A, consistently finishing in the top-4.

It just needs a coach with the ability to implement it. 

Whether GvB is that coach, I don't know... I think Dave Vos is, though. 

I'm just catching up with this thread. From pages 1 and 2, some are wanting Kamara out. No way! 

Yes he was a bit inconsistent but what player isn't? 

Need to keep Kamara unless a good bid comes in. 

56 minutes ago, Gazza_8 said:

I'm just catching up with this thread. From pages 1 and 2, some are wanting Kamara out. No way! 

Yes he was a bit inconsistent but what player isn't? 

Need to keep Kamara unless a good bid comes in. 

Can't understand why there doesn't seem to have been firm interest/bids come in for GK.

He is a gem of a player and would enhance most mid to lower EPL starting lineups.

Had a wee look at Caskie’s stats report on Matondo and Kent and thought I’d do a comparison, as they look very similar in style from Youtube.

In short, Matondo seems to  have played much more as a wing forward for Cercle who wants to be in the box, whereas Kent sees himself as a winger. Worth bearing in mind, Cercle Brugge finished 16th out of 18, so comparing stats here is very hard.

- Matondo’s goal threat stats are far better, and he actually outperforms an already high xG. Presumably, he was encouraged to get in the box and score goals whereas Kent has been asked to create goals, but even if you assume that is the case, the stats are very impressive. 

- Matondo’s crossing stats are very low in comparison, doesn't cross often and when he does they aren't that accurate. Hard to know how much team set-up affects that. 

- Dribbling stats are remarkably similar, basically they both attempt dribbles all the time but have a very low success rate. To an extent, you can understand low success the more attempts you make, but it suggests to me that he relies on pace more than close control, which I  have always said is true of Kent too.

- Similar attacking movement stats. Accelerations and progressive runs are very high. These things are important as you are constantly stretching the opposition and making runs. 

- Received passes is very low for Matondo and very high for Kent. Explained partly by the fact Matondo seems to have been playing as more of a forward whereas Kent drops deep quite a lot and builds attack. Slight concern of lack of involvement in play maybe.

- General passing stats are very low for Matondo. Partly explained as above, but a slight concern at very low no of passes to the penalty box, suggests to me that vision and through balls could be a weakness. Kent has high stats for all those, but of course he's had the advantage of playing for Rangers and not relegation strugglers. More encouragingly, the most important stat, xA, is almost exactly same despite all of the above. So Matondo seems to be creating chances at a similar rate to Kent despite having these other low stats. Worth noting that it seems Kent got very lucky with assists last season and is a due a major correction down as his expected assists were far lower than his actual. You'd need to check his assists one by one to see if that is the case though.

- Attacking passing stats are actually very decent when you consider who he's playing for. 

- Defensive stats are generally poor for Matondo. Very low no of successful defensive actions, very low possession adjusted interceptions and very low aerial duel success. One encouraging stat is a very decent duel success percentage. Perhaps surprisingly, Kents stats are all very low for all those too. So it is encouraging that Matondo’s duel success % is good bit higher than Kent’s because he looks like a wee guy. 

My verdict would be that this looks a very promising signing at the fee quoted. 4 years younger than Kent with loads of scope to improve, especially while playing for a team who dominate the play. Seems like he could help us add goal threat to our front 3 which has been a major problem. Question marks over creativity/end product, but absolutely worth the risk. 

Edited by DMAA

Of the four signings we’ve made so far, Tom Lawrence could be the interesting one for me. Goalscoring MF players are worth their weight in gold. We’ve lost aribo so was vital we replaced him in some way

Edited by RANGERRAB

News of more (extended?) injury woe for Helander and Roofe can't be classed as a surprise.

We'll soon see how Ryan Jack is doing.

Souttar was in surgery again. This time, a scheduled op. to remove 'buttons' !

Let's hope they don't find anything else in there.

Alfredo used to get stick for being suspended a lot, but his ability to shrug off any knocks and niggles made up for that. However, there came a point (springtime this year) where we pushed him too hard and his heavily strapped up thigh muscle problem reached a point where surgery was required and he is still out.

He got pushed because the backup options weren't always available, the injury prone Roofe.

What we have in Roofe is occasional backup, not a sustained option. Backup with an asterisk.

Like Alfredo once seemed, Connor Goldson is a machine for churning out game after game.

What happens if he gets injured ?

As it stands, too many players in the squad who need managed for chronic injury or age, IMO.

Most squads will have a couple, we have too many.

Financially, difficult to bring in good backup options for 'managed' backup options.

24 minutes ago, buster. said:

too many players in the squad who need managed for chronic injury or age

Who needs managed because of their age?

Davis, McGregor and Arfield?  We just renewed all of their contracts.

Edited by Gonzo79

(LW) Kent / Sakala / Middleton -  (ST) Morelos / Roofe / Colak - (RW) Wright / Matondo

(#10) Hagi / Lowry / Lawrence / Tillman

(CM) Davis / Kamara / Lundstram / Jack / Arfield

(LB) Barisic / AN Other - (LCB) Helander / Souttar / King - (RCB) Goldson / Sands / Katic - (RB) Tavernier / Zukowski

(GK) McLaughlin / McGregor / McCrorie

Does anyone think that is us covered? 

I think it was a mistake to renew Arfield's contract, but I suppose he's a good professional to have around. It's similar to Davis, but I can actually see Davis playing the odd game. Whereas with Arfield, I'd rather see Lowry, Hagi, Tillman, Lawrence play.

We don't need a CB, but I wouldn't mind another. 

Of course, if anyone leaves, we'll need a replacement.