The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

8 hours ago, Bluedell said:

It's being reported that the Aribo deal is £6 million plus add-ons of up to £4 million and a sell-on clause.

I'm not impressed, if that is the case.  We should hence insisted on the full £10 million. 

Difficult to know exactly where the truth is as if the deal goes through, it'll remain undisclosed with various headline figures / focus on 'ITK' detail of the deal reported.

Generally speaking, we have struggled to get top dollar for our players and in this case, we were not in a strong negotiating position. Indeed, it is a mystery to me why there isn't more firm interest in some of our players who have shown their ability consistently, at a high level in European football.

We know for sure that Morelos was subject to a 16M bid from Lille that we rejected, apparently because we valued him higher. I thought we should have accepted it but that point is moot.

The issue we have with our direct competition over the city, is that they do get paid top dollar for their players and over say a 3 year period. that amounts to a significant financial difference. Add it to ground capacity/10 year coefficent (income generated) and the difference (before a ball is kicked) will be sizable. 

We need the likes of Patterson and Aribo (if he goes) to rip it up down there and improve the perception of our club for producing/improving players to a level that can flourish in the EPL. 

18 hours ago, craig said:

They dont need to be - but it is no coincidence that we are signing 2006's when that age group has been largely a failure for us.  It isn't anywhere close to a sign of changing recruitment.

I take your point regards the 2006 age group and thank you for pointing this out, I didn't know.

However, I do think there is a significant change in emphasis regards to building squads going on.

The rough outline being to recruit better quality, earlier, at relatively low cost. Looking to bring down average age, transfer fees paid and wages,.... whilst increasing incoming transfer fees.

As a club we have to be proactive and the new UEFA financial guidelines doesn't make the status quo for us a viable option.

"Premier League club Southampton are set to pay an initial £6 million for the midfielder, with add-ons meaning the transfer could ultimately be worth in excess of £10 million once Rangers’ sell-on clause is factored in.

"Aribo’s contract has always included a £10 million release clause and it is understood that Rangers were determined not to accept a total package below that value.

--David Ornstein, The Athletic

We'd really need to see what the add-ons are before deciding exactly how good or bad the deal is.  It also depends on how Aribo's career progresses, so let's hope he does well at Southampton.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

We'd really need to see what the add-ons are before deciding exactly how good or bad the deal is.  It also depends on how Aribo's career progresses, so let's hope he does well at Southampton.

Improving EPL clubs perception of our players (Aribo doing well) might well be worth more to us, than the contractual add-ons.

New name appeared this morning on various sites that I've not seen mentioned yet, Kai Meriluoto

Looks promising as a youngster and seems to have scored goals wherever he's been.... granted at a lower level, but he's only 19

Edited by lenny3k