The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

1 hour ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I think many are under estimating how many of our squad need game time managed. When you have a fixture list like we do with an injury list like we do over the next 3 months the manager will find his options getting limited very quickly.

Yes it’s hard seeing our rivals out spend us year after year. Reality bites and when it comes to spending power on players we lag behind them. That’s never a good feeling and never should it be meakly accepted. Hopefully the board have a plan to even things out. 

The two biggest questions before this window were extended contracts for Morelos and Kent. We can’t sell them now and they haven’t extended. 

More money would be great but firstly it should be and has to be about spending the money you do have in an optimal way.

No football club won't make mistakes or have an injury list/players unavailable, but again you can do things to make it less probable.

Examples

Medical/football mgmt. 

You shouldn't keep Morelos on the park when it is so obvious he is playing through a muscle injury and not able to do much. Result: badly torn thigh muscle, out of cup finals/pre-season.

Recruitment

Trying to squeeze quality out of relatively small outlays.

You shouldn't accumulate so many injury prone players. Especially when more than one player is in one area of team. I mentioned this in February, it isn't hindsight.

Result: Helander, Souttar and Roofe missing for start of season 

Combine Morelos and Roofe. Just as well they got it right with Colak.

No centre forward for Cup Finals/business end of season.

Etc., Etc.

We can rightly say 'but we got to a European final and the CLGS'. However, I think the biggest negative effect is on our title prospects.

Edited by buster.

28 minutes ago, Bill said:

Looking at the pessimism and vitriol generated by our participation in this transfer window, it's clear a lot of fans think we are at the end of our rebuilding mission. I think the truth is we still have some distance to travel before you could say the job is anything like done. Recent income has certainly helped but the club remains relatively weak in financial terms and you don't improve the situation by being profligate in a transfer market that offers absolutely no guaranteed return on player investment.

I think the club has over-performed in the last year or so and left the door wide open to continue our progress. Happy days.

It comes from years/decades of short term transfer window therapy that has a positive effect on mood but often doesn't last very long.

As far as "rebuilding the club".

This won't end, it will be constantly trying to keep up which given Increasingly disproportionate revenue streams is a thankless task.

Youth is where you have to get it right. See Ajax.

Edited by buster.

I'm content we've made some good signings but still think we could've done with one or two more.  

The 'this team got us to a Euro final' argument doesn't sit well with me because:

a) 'This team' didn't win the league.  

b) You should look to improve/refresh things every transfer window.  

Let's get behind the players and hope the likes of Roofe, Helander and Davies are fit and ready ASAP.  

We haven’t signed a clear starter who is natural in the right forward position. Both Tillman and Lawrence look best centrally. Matondo doesn’t look to have the quality to be a clear starter who we can rely on week in week out. Question marks over style of play too, why didn’t we go for a left footed wide forward?

I wonder what Gio really thinks about this transfer window. Were we thwarted from getting someone because we refused to pay the money or was he happy that the right player was not available? We'll never know as he is not one to publicly question policy.

Now that the window is closed, we've no option but to go with what we have and make the best of it. There is no point dwelling on what we should have done.

We have a good squad. We have players that will be developed and contribute more. We have players to come back from injury. And if that is not enough, we have the continuing Morelos/Kent contract extension saga to occupy our minds.

On to the next game. As someone once said "Let's go".

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Matondo is 22 next week and, like Kent, has moved about too much in recent years to find any sort of consistency in his play. I'm confident he'll find that given some time.

Matondo is going to take some time to settle in and be polished up. Anyone expecting performances from him Wed/Sat every week is in for a shock. I have a feeling he might be a longer term option on the left rather than the right.  I also expect Ridvan will prove to be an excellent signing. 

Now that our business is complete I feel that Goldson renewing was absolutely massive for us. Despite his early season form not being up to his usual standards.

12 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Oh I get it...

My comments are not a judgement on Ridvan. He's not played enough to judge him but if we are spending 5 million on an International player I would expect him to go straight into the team. It's seems to be no problem for the Tims. 

Your concerns have been noted.