The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

It looks like Ridvan will be given time to settle in but given the fee we paid, I think it's understandable to expect him to go straight into the first XI.  

Barisic has been playing well though.  

Let's hope BB has his angry head on on Saturday (he is a bit of a split personality type of player).  

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

How many windows now and still not good enough at RW. 

5 or 6 at least. 

that's fairly pathetic. 

I think the board will disagree - £16M for 2nd choice right back and £20M for 2nd choice left back (a player who was written of by a large section of the Rangers support some months ago).

Ross Wilson has to work with a budget that's dictated by his bosses, maybe he'll feel as hacked off as Gerrard and Gio. After all he has to ballance new contracts and new signings within a relatively small budget.

After all his signings won us 55, progressed brilliantly in Europe, got to EL final then qualified for CL......

Edited by CammyF

I think we've spent a lot over the years really and I'd rather not go down the road of spending more and more, particularly going into a period where we may find that money dries up somewhat if there is a cost of living crises. 

To be honest we've spent more than our worth to win the league again, and it's worked out but it was a risky strategy, particularly given the recent history. I'd rather we get into the habit of making this club have a long term, sustainable future. Splashing the cash because of a (potential) one off season in the CL is the sort of thing that got us into trouble before. 

Im pretty happy with where we are with the squad really, we just pumped PSV out the CL. We have a decent team.

Edited by PoohBear

8 hours ago, PoohBear said:

I think we've spent a lot over the years really and I'd rather not go down the road of spending more and more, particularly going into a period where we may find that money dries up somewhat if there is a cost of living crises. 

To be honest we've spent more than our worth to win the league again, and it's worked out but it was a risky strategy, particularly given the recent history. I'd rather we get into the habit of making this club have a long term, sustainable future. Splashing the cash because of a (potential) one off season in the CL is the sort of thing that got us into trouble before. 

Im pretty happy with where we are with the squad really, we just pumped PSV out the CL. We have a decent team.

Pending seeing the accounts, I tend to agree with most of that.

However, the issues are

1. How we've spent the money invested this summer 

2. How we have recruited over a number of windows.

These issues throw up questions/answers that suggest it no surprise we have reached a point where we start a season with so many players unavailable and the money invested this summer isn't bringing the immediate benefit required.

IMO, it is more the Football Operation that has questions to answer, rather than the board.

Edited by buster.

I think many are under estimating how many of our squad need game time managed. When you have a fixture list like we do with an injury list like we do over the next 3 months the manager will find his options getting limited very quickly.

Yes it’s hard seeing our rivals out spend us year after year. Reality bites and when it comes to spending power on players we lag behind them. That’s never a good feeling and never should it be meakly accepted. Hopefully the board have a plan to even things out. 

The two biggest questions before this window were extended contracts for Morelos and Kent. We can’t sell them now and they haven’t extended. 

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

9 hours ago, buster. said:

Yes, we are all disappointed after a quiet last day (not window) but every fan should read this sober thread from Andy.

You can also add that perhaps the manager wanted one or two players but couldn't obtain the quality he wanted so preferred to stick rather than twist.

Looking at the pessimism and vitriol generated by our participation in this transfer window, it's clear a lot of fans think we are at the end of our rebuilding mission. I think the truth is we still have some distance to travel before you could say the job is anything like done. Recent income has certainly helped but the club remains relatively weak in financial terms and you don't improve the situation by being profligate in a transfer market that offers absolutely no guaranteed return on player investment.

I think the club has over-performed in the last year or so and left the door wide open to continue our progress. Happy days.

Edited by Bill