The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

With Davis on the cusp of a move, it looks like we will need two players to replace Bassey.

Rampaging left back required or is there a youth good enough to cover/replace Borna ?

Edited by buster.

13 hours ago, compo said:

Dont think this boy ever got a first team game at Anfield 

No, he was just an emergency signing. 

They had 1 fit CB (Nat Phillips, a youngster) during that period, but still preferred to play Phillips with Fabinho or Henderson in the back-four. 

8 hours ago, Bill said:

Goldson-Souttar-Davies presents another good combination in that line up. I think Souttar often played as part of a back three at Hearts.

Sands often played in a back-three, too. 

7 hours ago, Malangsob said:

No, but...these guys do.

Sheffield United Forum

https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/ben-davies-signs-on-loan.82585/page-27

Refer to the video I posted as well 22:00 they address him.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

It’s worth noting these people also said John Lundstram was useless

They were also angling for Sander Berge to be let go. 

Werder Bremen have recently made a £18m pound bid. Leeds also said to be interested. 

On the forum site I saw, they must have criticised every single player. 

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

No, he was just an emergency signing. 

They had 1 fit CB (Nat Phillips, a youngster) during that period, but still preferred to play Fabinho and Henderson in the back-four. 

Turns out more an investment than emergency signing.

- Emergency but not used

- Good business #profit

Bought for 500K

Sold for 3M, potentially rising to 4M

I hope that CLGS qualification and League title figure highly within add-on triggers (obviously if he plays his part in them)

I think Davies is a solid Championship player; he'll play the majority of games for any side in that league. Liverpool made a move for him - albeit as an emergency, that they ideally didn't want to make - so he must have some ability. 

He is a CB that can play LB, so he has some versatility to him. He's primarily a CB, though; he'll not be a rampaging FB. We probably need that?

At 26, just coming into his peak, he could have a sell-on value. It won't be much, though. 

I see it as a Goldson-type situation: £3m for a solid CB, that can play the majority of games, represents decent value. He's a tad expensive at £4m, but we're maybe paying for the 2 years he has left on his contract and his versatility. 

If he plays a good number of games over the next 2-3 years, £3-4m is not a lot, IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I love how we're all fudging the figures. 

Liverpool signed him for only 500k, as opposed to £1.6m.

We're paying a whopping £4m, as opposed to £3m with add-ons. 

I saw 500k

Is the official figure 1.6M ?

Most transfers tend to be undisclosed and circulating numbers vary.

40 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think Davies is a solid Championship player; he'll play the majority of games for any side in that league. Liverpool made a move for him - albeit as an emergency, that they ideally didn't want to make - so he must have some ability. 

He is a CB that can play LB, so he has some versatility to him. He's primarily a CB, though; he'll not be a rampaging FB. We probably need that?

At 26, just coming into his peak, he could have a sell-on value. It won't be much, though. 

I see it as a Goldson-type situation: £3m for a solid CB, that can play the majority of games, represents decent value. He's a tad expensive at £4m, but we're maybe paying for the 2 years he has left on his contract and his versatility. 

If he plays a good number of games over the next 2-3 years, £3-4m is not a lot, IMO. 

That's how I see it. We have one dependable centre back (Goldson) and two who are (very likely) unreliable (Helander and Souttar). The signing of Davies means we now have two reliable and solid centre-backs. Edit - I forgot to mention Sands and King who are also very capable at CB. 

The stats on Davies show he is a good defender but with some weaknesses. His general defensive stats are very good, good at interceptions and a high ground duels win %. His passing, movement and attacking stats are generally very good. In terms of weaknesses he is clearly not an aggressive player from his stats. Doesn't engage in many duels and he is mediocre in the air. He also has an exceptionally low shots blocked rating, no idea why that would be. 

£4m a tad high if that's what we pay, but a very solid signing that makes centre back a strong position (providing Helander and Souttar time their injuries conveniently for us). He’s also an improvement on Bassey in the air and an improvement on Bassey at CB in terms of reading of the game and positioning probably. 

Edited by DMAA