Pre-Season 2022/23 Megathread | [FT] Rangers 1 (Colak 24') - 2 Tottenham

Decent workout, we had the better of the first half, gave away two bad goals (great finishes by Kane though) and then should have equalised in later stages.

Result not important, we looked fitter, sharper and closer to being ready for Livingston and Union, with no injuries picked up, and with more minutes for newbies and fringe players to come tomorrow we look right on track.

I’m fairly happy with that. I don’t judge new players by a few friendlies so can’t really tell what we’ve bought yet but we won’t play sides with as many top players as Spurs at all unless we make the CL so hopefully they can continue to improve fitness and getting to know their teammates and our playing style and hit the ground running next Saturday.

Goldson getting slaughtered on RTV for allowing Kane the half yard to score. Same old same old. I actually thought Goldson played really well up until that point, but that has always been my concern with him, there is always a big mistake in him every single game. Thankfully he doesn’t face the quality of Kane every week. 

Does anyone here think it is possible for Souttar and Davies to be our first choice pairing?

Some of the kick-outs by McGregor and the kick-about around the area even when faced of a hint of press was again terrible. We sure needed some DM who offered an option ... or indeed a simple kick up the park.

Dunno why Kent is excused from being dropped. Spurs sussed him out early doors and he never really got out of that one-dimensional mode of his. One step-over too many, a step too far and all the running was pointless. Would his name be Wylde, he`d be slaughtered. You do wonder whether Yilmaz will be deployed further up the park, as he is quite good at attacking.

Sands looked better than Souttar*, though the latter probably needs some time still and won`t play up against the likes of Kane and Co. anytime soon again. IMHO, pre-season or not, Spurs never really looked like getting out of third gear. They cut us apart in midfield rather easily time and again.

*Gut feeling says that Goldson and Davies will be our first choice centre-halfs, Souttar and Sands (who is more of a DM) back-ups.

Edited by der Berliner

Switched on at 1-1, so limited in what I have saw of the game.

Various positives but the major thing that stood out as a real potential problem is finding it difficult to play out from the back and too often losing the ball in a very dangerous area. 

We are going to have to get much better at linking back to middle/half-turn and play forward. Then obviously, there is the question of McGregor's poor distribution (and apparent 'first choice' for Gio ??). 

Will be interesting to see if we have more success with it against lesser opposition next week (Livingston) .... but I'd bet Martindale will have his team doing extensive high press drills in the lead up to next weekend.

Edited by buster.

I think there are times when you just have to accept you’re beaten by class like we were with those two second half goals today by Kane

Couple of pointers today from ourselves, I was surprised to see McGregor in goals today. Just giving him game time or is GvB unconvinced by McLaughlin? And if McCrorie is going out on loan or leaving we’ll need another keeper. Also presume we’ll see Davies alongside Goldson at CB. I’m not convinced by Souttar already and don’t think he can play a full season for us of 60 odd games. Sands did well but I presume Katic and Simpson aren’t part of GvB’s plans and Helander too probably as he enters the final year of his contract 

47 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Some of the kick-outs by McGregor and the kick-about around the area even when faced of a hint of press was again terrible. We sure needed some DM who offered an option ... or indeed a simple kick up the park.

Dunno why Kent is excused from being dropped. Spurs sussed him out early doors and he never really got out of that one-dimensional mode of his. One step-over too many, a step too far and all the running was pointless. Would his name be Wylde, he`d be slaughtered. You do wonder whether Yilmaz will be deployed further up the park, as he is quite good at attacking.

Sands looked better than Souttar*, though the latter probably needs some time still and won`t play up against the likes of Kane and Co. anytime soon again. IMHO, pre-season or not, Spurs never really looked like getting out of third gear. They cut us apart in midfield rather easily time and again.

*Gut feeling says that Goldson and Davies will be our first choice centre-halfs, Souttar and Sands (who is more of a DM) back-ups.

Teams know to put 2 or 3 men on Kent to nullify him. When that happens we need to switch to a plan B which we don’t always seem to have